Australian version of Top Gear

My first question is, who is gonna be the host? When they use the name "Top Gear", i expect something like the quality of BBC Top Gear...

The second thing that i concern is... I doubt they have (or willing to) that kind of budget. Look at all the money they spent on TP...flying here and there (like the States and South Africa), having races between cars and other stuff...

What I'm thinking is that if SBS has no such intension to make such car program, they might aswell just make a car program without using the name Top Gear. Ok may be I'm being criticise but because SBS to me is still not one of the top tv channel.

Good work Viper, I just logged on to post about this. I hope you will have another addition to your list of x Gear shows.
Dunno if we will or not. I think it'll very largely depend on the quality of the show and unless it's epic, it'll probably just stay to "unofficial" torrents linked to here on the forums.

This is great news, more car shows is good. Good car shows is better. I hope they get a good mix and a decent "Stig". A local slant is good and hopefully being on SBS it will be impartial and not be something to flog a car sales site. Maybe they will kick it off when MPH comes to AUS.
But expect lots of bias to models made in Aus and more HSV/Walkinshaw propaganda.

The worst episodes of Fifth Gear are better than the best episodes of any Australian car show I've seen, but that is because they are entirely driven by advertising dollars. If anyone can point me to a good FTP, I can upload some episodes of The Car Show to give an example.

That being said, I have faith that SBS can do a decent job of this, provided the hosts are chosen well and production values are high. On a plus side, SBS are planning to start HD broadcasting next year at 720p, so there is a slight hope it will be in HD (which could make up for lower quality).

The worst episodes of Fifth Gear are better than the best episodes of any Australian car show I've seen, but that is because they are entirely driven by advertising dollars. If anyone can point me to a good FTP, I can upload some episodes of The Car Show to give an example.

That being said, I have faith that SBS can do a decent job of this, provided the hosts are chosen well and production values are high. On a plus side, SBS are planning to start HD broadcasting next year at 720p, so there is a slight hope it will be in HD (which could make up for lower quality).

HD would not "make up" for lower quality just make it more obvious.
I assume that the BBC and JC would not let it but utter dross especially after the US experience.

hmmm

hmmm

i've no idea what to think about this.

i'm fourteen, in australia, and have quite litterally been watching the show since i was 2.
i still remember the good ol shots of jezza and his massive ego, concealed merely by his even-bigger affro.

its actually been my dream to be a top gear presenter, or at least present my own top-gear style car show over here in australia

and i'm concerned this australian version is going to try to hard. I mean, top gear hasnt always been this brilliant. for petes sake they started in 1977, so they've had 30 years to get things right.
But along the lines they've also had to blow up millions of caravans, strap hamsters in chairs and crash them, and worst of all, they've also had to loose a massive chunk of their heritage, and are no longer a proper, factual car show. And this was all in the effort to be as appealing as possible

dont get me wrong, i love top gear, and if anyone at school says they like it or its their favorite show, you've no idea what goes through my head as i think
"you hopeless git, you've only been watching it since SBS picked out the old tapes from the bin, changed half the freaking music and shoved it on an ad-packed tv"

in my mind, no one is as passionate about it as i am, and whats worse is that i have no proof. i just know it. this is why i'm worried that this australian top gear is going to be hopeless.

in TV, you've got to get it wrong before you can get it right, and judging by our current car shows, which are so ad packed that the sponsors pop up every 3 secconds, unless this new top gear is done perfectly, and isnt too over the top too quickly, then the concept of australian top gear is just going to go in the bin with 'yasmine's getting married'

i might just have to think up a new future career option
or pray that they'll get someone good to host it

hmmm, aussie TopGear? It could be good. But in saying that I don't think that they should try and clone the BBC version because the thing that makes it great is the chemistry between the presenters, and that can't be copied. However if they do get three presenters that have their own chemistry there is hope.

It all depends on the presenters they get and how they interact with eachother. Also, when it comes on don't be too quick to judge it. if you look at early episodes of TG it takes a while for the presenters to develope the way they interact with eachother.

and like its been said i dont wnat to see a shameless chase after the advertising dollar or ford vs holden vs ford vs holden either.

Mark my words - this will be tragic. I hope to be proved otherwise, but I don't see it happening. You just can't recreate the magic chemistry that JC / Hammond / May have, nor the Wilman factor. Toss in a much smaller budget, reduced access to some of the cars Top Gear test, the ability of some in our populous to whinge and moan about others having a good time, and a complete lack of any potential hosts with the right combination of political incorrectness, humour, and car knowledge - no, this is a mistake.

i seem to remember that we have already had what was pretty much a direct copy of top gear, the original top gear years ago
called Torque on the abc hosted by peter wherrett

trying to think of some creative challenges
1000 dollar car across the gulf country in rainy season?
boat cars across the daintree in croc season
5000 dollar super cars Melbourne to the tip (cape york for non aussies):lol:

unfortunately fbc is probably right the do gooders are killing every bit of fun available

Last edited:
I think it will take a while to find itself. It will start off awkward and imrpove from there. Picking the right hosts will be important and I get the feeling they will be unknowns to the world of television.

Either way, I want tickets.

As I posted in the SBS forum-

Key requirements for any version of TopGear-

1. Quick-witted hosts in funny situations

2. Brutal honesty

3. Journalistic Integrity

4. Stunning Cinematography and excellent production values

5. A tame racing driver

6. A track

7. Beautiful, really fast cars.

i tot jezza hates the aussies... and u cant just replicate top gear as a show.. top gear is not top gear w/o the current trio... its not like some idol or millionaire contest..

Mark my words - this will be tragic. I hope to be proved otherwise, but I don't see it happening. You just can't recreate the magic chemistry that JC / Hammond / May have, nor the Wilman factor. Toss in a much smaller budget, reduced access to some of the cars Top Gear test, the ability of some in our populous to whinge and moan about others having a good time, and a complete lack of any potential hosts with the right combination of political incorrectness, humour, and car knowledge - no, this is a mistake.

:+1: This will not end well

We'll see.

It should be noted that this show will be created by Aussies, for Aussies. It wont be designed to entertain others, just us. It wont be designed to inform others, just us. They'll only have reduced access to cars that Australia as a whole also has reduced access to.

I think it will take a while to find itself. It will start off awkward and imrpove from there. Picking the right hosts will be important and I get the feeling they will be unknowns to the world of television.

Either way, I want tickets.

As I posted in the SBS forum-

Key requirements for any version of TopGear-

1. Quick-witted hosts in funny situations

2. Brutal honesty

3. Journalistic Integrity

4. Stunning Cinematography and excellent production values

5. A tame racing driver

6. A track

7. Beautiful, really fast cars.

8. Bad teeth, whitened teeth and fluffy hair

no, no, no, no, no. this has the potential to go very wrong. i hope that it doesn't though and i'll certainly watch it, but i don't have high hopes over this one.

good to see that sbs still plans to screen the original. (however it would be nice in its full hour format :D )