Australian version of Top Gear

Just because its an Australian show, that doesn't mean they'll only do Commodore vs Falcon. There are plenty of Aussies who want to know about everything from the latest Peugeot hatch to the next Aston Martin coupe.

Yeah your right, and I really hope that they don't but...

If they review european cars it'll be too much like UK Top Gear plus the qoute
"In making it, we won?t simply replicate the UK series"
and
"SBS plans to make a program that is uniquely and quintessentially Australian" worries me :mad:

To be honest, I reckon that SBS would have a better chance getting a good result with 3 little known (perhaps totally unknown?) car nuts who also have good personalities to host TG Australia.

People like Stahly and Morley would be excellent TG Australia writers, but I dunno how they'd go as hosts. Their previous TV hosting work isn't anything to write home about, but they're bloody good motoring journos.

Bugger it, I might just do a quick and dodgy review of my company car and send the video into SBS. You never know ... ;)

Good luck with that.:lol:

Actually I said a few pages ago that I reckon the hosts will be virtual unknowns to television.

I think SBS is probably the best network to do the show, they aren't as big as the other networks so can be more creative without having to just go for ratings. Plus, there will be for freedom for the presenters on SBS.

However, that will be the major problem with the show, the hosts. I like many others can't think of can good presenters for the show. Hopefully SBS get them right, maybe the BBC should give them a hand picking the hosts.

What will they call the Aussie Stig? The Emu??

Hopefully SBS get it right, but Aussie car show history shows they are going to have a tough battle ahead of them.

The problem with Australian TV is that it's stuck in the Neighbours/Home and Away fucktard mentality. Everything is scripted, and it's always accompanied by poor acting. Forget the scripts, let the hosts run with it, and then you'll be doing what the BBC has done. Yes Top Gear has scripts, but it's a loose as it can get, and they basically ad-lib the entire thing, and it works. They keep the thing real by not doing anything more than once (usually), Aussie networks don't have the balls to do that sort of thing.

Personally, I think it's gonna fail, but perhaps if they hand it over to someone who's worked with or near the Race Around the World shows (the one Saffran was on), sure it was SBS, but since when have these two argued over Australian made talent?

What will they call the Aussie Stig?

If there is one, they could just call him the Stig. There have been two "Stig"s already and when the Perry McCarthy "black" Stig died and they were introducing the Ben Collins "white" Stig, Jeremy said there were plenty more where fe came from.

Like many others, I have an awful feeling about this. Would the local automotive industry let them have any more cars after they 'can' the first one? Would Australia have enough caravans and motorhomes to support a game of conkers or campervan dodgems? Would the SBS budget extend to a two-a-side soccer match using clapped out Datsun Sunnies :?

Anyway, I'd be quite content with re-runs of the old TopGears from before SBS's one enlighten decision to begin broadcasting the shows.

I love it how all the australians on here are like "it's probably going to suck"

:D

I resent the proposition of any localised edition of Top Gear, it's a utterly pointless exercise. Inevitably the local editions will have to cannibalise proper Top Gear, when you're done with all the mediocre local offerings you'll have to look at the international market, which is exactly what Top Gear are already doing.

So what's the bloody point? I had the same opinion of the proposed American edition of Top Gear. Just send the BBC some Commodores, get Clarkson to scream "POWAR!" and that'll do.

The last thing I want to see happen is for the Top Gear brand to be tarnished by a couple of yobbo gits who apparently represent Orstraalia, and so far every Australian motoring presenter has made me want to throw them through a window, including Blondie on community access.

I am confident it won't be as bad as any other Australian motoring program, but that's like saying Big Brother 2007 wasn't as bad as Big Brother 2006.

I'm another Australian who thinks it will probably suck.

I don't want to be this cynical about it, and I genuinely hope it'll do well, but... I really have my doubts. Top Gear is completely unique, and like others said above, it's James, Richard and Jeremy (and Andy) who make TG what it is. It might be okay in its own right, but being called Top Gear I think it's going to suffer in comparison.

Still... with the name, and The Official Jeremy Clarkson Seal of Approval?, it can't possibly be the worst thing ever. SBS stating that they won't "simply replicate the UK series" gives me a bit of hope, because if they did try to make Top Gear With Australian Accents, they'd fail miserably. It might be okay if they do their own thing...?

It'll be rubbish.

Partly because there won't be James, Jeremy and Richard (who really are the show, without them it's nothing), partly because the first puff of smoke from the tyres will have Harold Scruby going mental (even if it's on a track).

I was wondering how long it would take before Harold Scruby's name got a look in :p

Seriously though, as long as they don't go too overboard with the gearheadedness (word?) it should be ok. Just as long as the cars themselves remain the stars. I agree that Dave Morley and Micheal Stahl would be good writers, Morley may even end up being a good presenter, he sort of has a Clarkson-esque appearence. You could also add Paul Cockburn to the mix of would be presenters. He fits the James may profile

Ocker :lol:

Ned Kelley? Kevin Rudd?

Anyway, without the enormous budget BBC has for music and filming, its going to struggle. Even in the SBS episodes i watch, they have to change some of the music, which is irritating after watching rips.

In SBS' favour though, it can pull off a surprise (please please please) when it wants to. It would be nice to smack the "1km/h over the speed limit AND YOU DIE" lobby square in the face. Lets just hope it isnt too Australian and not too English, covering cars people dream about rather than buying (for all of 2 people that watch the Car Show, who are probably waiting for the cricket), cos lets be honest, a beautifully filmed Lambo or Ferrari segment will be infinitely be greater than ho humming in a Falco-dore we see every day.

*braces for impact*

Sorry I'll will have add my name to the list of Australians who think it will suck.

.....however.......

I spoze a few changes, get rid of the cool wall, make it a Tool Wall! How much of a tool you look when you drive a particular car, say a Boxter or BMW would be in the most Tool-iest section. Uh the Toolbox?

And what have it out the back round a barbie.....I mean we all know Australians can't cook (name one Aussie chef?) so we set fire to our food outside.....you all understand it makes sense!

Like many others, I have an awful feeling about this. Would the local automotive industry let them have any more cars after they 'can' the first one? Would Australia have enough caravans and motorhomes to support a game of conkers or campervan dodgems? Would the SBS budget extend to a two-a-side soccer match using clapped out Datsun Sunnies :?

Better, clapped out 15 year old R32 GTR's in a game of darts. :p Watch the Americans and teenybopper Granturismo fans all around the world (hell have them in the studio audience) Moan and groan. Burn cheap old FD RX7's with 2 stroke fuel, since really they all are two stokes. Carboard body kit Commodores and drive them through Elizabeth (or your local bogan dominated suburb), upset the Lebs in "fully-sick-WRX's", make a "boat" out of a XF stationwagon.....you get the idea.....

Two succeed they need to upset the car community in general. Possibly the best way to generate a major negative reaction that will get people watching is to upset the Japanese import community. They can't take a joke so its a sure fire hit :p

If they get the chasers guys....it may work.....maybe...However you need a typical grumpy Australian mechanic or a similar type to do a clarkson mimic...

My workshop foreman would be perfect then :p

I always read but rarely post, but this is especially relevant so I just have to add my two cents on this topic.

Along with everybody else, my first thought when hearing about this was "Oh, God please let them choose decent hosts." But it actually extends to the entire crew. If they get it right, it could be a really great show. If they don't, it will probably degenerate into the Footy Show / Blokesworld. Kudos to SBS for taking on such a massive challenge to live up to the Top Gear brand.

The weekly Holden vs Ford angle keeps getting mentioned, but give them a chance. A quick scan of the Wikipedia entry on Top Gear reveals that some variant of the Porsche 911 has been mentioned in 38 out of 88 episodes... but I digress... Top Gear has done some very entertaining reviews of some unusual cars: James' Bentley, Hammond's Charger, the GM Hywire (James), AM Lagonda (James). Created interesting angles on some common stuff: Audi A8 London to Edinburgh immediately springs to mind. And stuff that's not Euro-centric: beating a speed camera, remote control cars, towing land-speed record, bus / limo / ice-cream truck jumping. My point being that there's more to Aussie motoring than the V8 supercar PR department would have us believe.

There must be enough depth in Australian motoring to mine at least one decent season without constantly reviewing the latest HSV / FPV. Classic Adelaide Rally, Targa Tasmania, Bolwell, Elfin, Alpha Sports, purple Valiants, 70's Datsuns, Sandmans (without turning into a TV version of "Street Machine"), crushing Land Cruisers with mining trucks (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3d7_1193971489), outback mechanics, track tests of super rare production GT Falcons / Toranas / Monaros, a challenge involving Bathurst, Perth > Adelaide, Melbourne > Sydney, Broome > Cooktown, Darwin > Uluru.

Most car shows are boring because they're too relevant - Top Gear works because it's total fantasy. That's what Aussie TG should be IMHO.

Complete unknowns for the hosts is the way to go. And it better not be too factual like The Car Show, which is downright boring.
I'm not a fan of this idea, but id still watch it. (As long as they don't have hosts that are bogan, or fully metrosexual:D)

Im looking forward to it. I would imagine that the Australian Stig will be a a V8 Supercar driver (current or otherwise) and possibly wear Green and Gold :D

Does anyone else think Grant Denyer should be in the Australian Top Gear. He is little, loud, many women find him cute and he is a complete car nut. Does that sound like anyone else we know?