Australian version of Top Gear

I hope SBS didn't pay too much :-/

The average Oz male only knows about holdens and fords, as long as it's V8 it beats anything European (or so they think)

So SBS, take note:

FIRST show do a BIG one on similarly priced fast Holdens and Fords and put BMW and Merc's up against them and do a few laps around Bathurst etc.
Didn't "we" ban all other makes for some reason?
I can think of plenty more ideas like that :)

SBS better get backing by a few good euro dealers cause if Holden and Ford pay for it it'll be a nightmare, though I must say the new Euro style commodore actualy looks good.

As for who'd host it?
Please not some "wannabe stars" wanting to emulate the awesome UK trio..
Jeremy "grumpy old men" style and Hammonds quirks and May's dry whit will never be matched with Oz style putdowns and macho chauvinism :-/
and that doesn't mean we need a queer either (SBS style)

I've never seen so much pessimism and negativity in one thread lol

Are all you Aussies really trying to say that in the whole of The land Down Under you can't muster up two or three presenters the equal of Clarkson and co?

I'll admit that Clarkson is a one of a kind.. but the other two, come on!!

Are all you Aussies really trying to say that in the whole of The land Down Under you can't muster up two or three presenters the equal of Clarkson and co?

We tend to exist in some weird country where all the good stuff comes from somewhere else, flouting your success will get you cut down faster than a tree in a lumber mill & any successful products will be bought out & commercialized by another western country. You do find people who don't fit this mold, but tis rare. Sport is pretty much the only elitism we allow.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think Grant Denyer should be in the Australian Top Gear.

+1

Two unknowns/little known car nuts who can string together a sentence with a bit of personality, along with Grant Denyer would be a sensible choice for Australian Top Gear hosting duties. Assuming, of course, all 3 hosts get along as well as Clarkson, May and Hammond.

Pretty much, yes.

The problem is the average Australian gear head only really likes Holdens or Fords. This means that unless SBS can get funding from somewhere else, they will need presenters who the audience like, and that audience will, most likely, not like anyone like Clarkson and co.

Yes - the combination of JC / Hammond / May / Wilman is unique, the chances of finding that elsewhere are very very slim.

axing

axing

dont worry about finding good presenters. The Nanny government, the pedestrian council, the greens, and the "we want 30kph speed limits" groups will have the show shut down in 2 weeks.

They always ruin anything even remotely fun or popular.

Does anyone else think Grant Denyer should be in the Australian Top Gear. He is little, loud, many women find him cute and he is a complete car nut. Does that sound like any one else we know?

No no nooooo!!!!!! :p

I know you can draw some parallels with him and Hammond perhaps, but (for want of a better term) he is a try-hard. And I for one find him repulsive. :lol:

I think there is a distinct lack of prospective hosts in this country. Chopper Reid perhaps?

I think they should get the crew of Blokesworld to be the hosts..
Ben Wah and Ado.....
You me carpark now !!
Checkout their webpage
www.blokesworld.com

Last edited:
The average Oz male only knows about holdens and fords, as long as it's V8 it beats anything European (or so they think)

:lmao:.... Oh, you're serious.

Yeah, I mean, some country bumpkin only knows about holdens and fords, they're so one set minded and ill informed they don't even know there's other cars around!

Sarcasm. Look it up.

Ignoring the obvious that it will be nearly impossible to find 3 Australian's with the same wit & rapport as Clarkson & Co, people need an understanding of how insular the Aussie car market is.

I have little doubt the car makers will say to SBS "one negative review of our product will result in no cars in future to test".

In England, it is perfectly acceptable for Top Gear to lament the state of the British automotive industry & stick the boots in when cars are rubbish. Try the same tact here with our car makers & you'll be labeled an un-Australian, Euro badge snob (or moronic ricer).

It will probably end up being more like 5th Gear than Top Gear!

In all of Hollywoodland and New Yorkinghamshire, very few people I could think of would stack up. Adam Carolla maybe?

Ok, call me crazy, but i vaguely remember another car review show, used to be on ABC methinks.

Was part of a show, possibly hosted by george negus, which was on weeknights at 6 or 630, that had a different topic every night, one of which being motoring.

One of the hosts/reviewers was a chap with Tom Ford-esque looks...

Anyone else remember what im talking about? The only review i can recall off the top of my head was of the Lexus IS300, so that will give you an idea of how old it is...

As for this new Aussie top gear, i'd have to echo sentiments already expressed on this board:
- While i'd like it to succeed, one feels rather apprehensive that it wont
- One can only hope that if it has the Top Gear name on it, in order to keep the high prestige that the brand has, it CANT be crap :)

This version should have more cars and less crap.

This version should have more cars and less crap.

I disagree, I think the cheap car challenges would be great fun... Buying an 80s ute and taking it across the desert could provide some good situations.

I watched another car show a few weeks ago (test drive or something?! I think it was on either 9 or 7) and it was awful. Worst of all it was sponsored by the Holden Epica, and you could tell they were paid to review it. An awful car that they decided had amazing features :blink:

On the plus side... it will be better than any American equivalent:lol:

I reckon you guys should have a open mind about this

1. I was excited when I found out

2. Top gear for life

3. It is perfect for our humour

The problem is the average Australian gear head only really likes Holdens or Fords.

Not really. Yes we love our Holdens and Fords, but on the SBS TopGear forum (which is made up almost entirely of Australians) you'll find a very wide range of tastes. When the TopGear magazine's website came out with there make-your-own-cool-wall feature we started our own cool wall for the forum. As you can see, European cars proved quite popular, especially little hatches. The Fiat 500, MINI Cooper, Volvo C30 and several little Peugeots all made it into the "cool" section. The Sub Zero section is all European, even the Holden Monaro didn't make it.

I also speak to a lot of non-TopGear fans about their taste in cars. It really isn't all Holden and Ford.

I come from that SBS forum

and I love Aston Martins, Peugeots, Jags, Fords, Mini Coopers, Volkswagon and other European cars

Not to mention that with the first series only being 8 episodes long, they won't need to fill it up with Holdens and Fords. There are easily enough cars on the Australian market to fill 8 episodes.