Australian version of Top Gear

Hi fello Aussies, going through the posts its clear we all feel the same way.
it does have the potential to be something really big and i think it should have some elements of Top Gear but it needs to be Australian, we do have a good sense of humor and theres alot of things you can do in a car over here. I dont think it will be all about holdens and Fords, Aussie Top Gear viewers wouldnt stand for it and they would have to know that...
I think we are better off not knowing who "the Aussie stig" is, its better that way.
Its definitely has to have male presenters though, vicki butler-henderson and that chick that was on the car show are/were crap, it just doesnt seem right to me (no offense to the gals that love watching Top Gear though!)
Im not holding high hopes but I'll definitely give it a go and give it a bit to see if they can get it together.
The one thing we do have in our favor is its owned by the best motoring car show producers in the world!

Merrick and rosso for hosts.

Merrick and rosso for hosts.

Merrick is a total moron with garbage for brains, it would be guaranteed crap if he was on it

Hamish we want you GOGOGOGO

Not really. Yes we love our Holdens and Fords, but on the SBS TopGear forum (which is made up almost entirely of Australians) you'll find a very wide range of tastes. When the TopGear magazine's website came out with there make-your-own-cool-wall feature we started our own cool wall for the forum. As you can see, European cars proved quite popular, especially little hatches. The Fiat 500, MINI Cooper, Volvo C30 and several little Peugeots all made it into the "cool" section. The Sub Zero section is all European, even the Holden Monaro didn't make it.

I also speak to a lot of non-TopGear fans about their taste in cars. It really isn't all Holden and Ford.

Of course people on a top gear forum are going to like the kind of cars TG reviews, if they didn't like them they wouldn't watch it, and out of the non-tg fans who still like cars I talk to, most of them are mainly ford/holden lovers, not all, but the majority.

But even so, I doubt the Aussie Top Gear will be made to appeal to existing fans, more likely it will be made to attract people who don't really like Top Gear because of its irrelevance (in terms of cars available, prices, etc.) to Australia, which means a lot of local cars being shown.

There is just no host in Aus with the calibre of JC, and we have nowhere near the variety in performance cars.. or any cars for that matter.

I can see the promo's now :cry:

COMING UP THIS WEEK IN TOP GEAR OZ...

SPECIAL COMMODORE VS FALCON SHOWDOWN...

STAR IN A REASONABLY PRICED CAR IS... ROVE MCMANUS

THIS WEEKS ECONOMY CHALLENGE .... MELBOURNE TO SYDNEY ON ONE CARTON OF BEER - IT IS POSSIBLE!

THIS WEEKS PERFORMANCE CHALLENGE... CAN YOU FIT A LARGE EXHAUST TO YOUR COMMODORE AND STILL LET THE MISSUS DRIVE IT?

OUR TAME RACING DRIVER / AUSSIE STIG TAKES THE NEW (insert latest performance add-on) ADD-ON FOR THE FALCON ROUND OUR TEST TRACK

PLUS

WE REVIEW LASTS WEEKS COMMODORE VS FALCON REVIEW

AND TAKE A SNEEK PREVIEW OF NEXT WEEKS....... COMMODORE VS FALCON LUGGAGE CAPACITY.. YOU'LL BE AMAZED! (by how many cartons of beer fit in)

The cool wall will be just Falcons & Commodores from different years (except the VL Commodore because it had a Nissan engine)

The Top Gear Aus test track will be the local K-Mart car park with empty VB cartons to mark the layout

The Stig will be Craig Lowndes because the media in Aus just love him and would %$#& him if they could :lol:

Oh well it'll be interesting :mrgreen:

Classic! :lmao:

But seriously, just like the original, it'll only be as good as the presenters. And I hope to god they try and put their own twist on it, instead of just plainly copying everything. Like a TG with their own original twist. Although, if they continue on the traditions of stupid challenges, we could have some great road trips..

But that said, we have about as much chance of this happening as we do with the victorians coming up with a drinkable beer..

I'll host, though! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just reading through the thread, and there could be heaps of great challenges! You could do something similar to the african challenge, race against some bush mechanics, I mean, get the right presenters (not some semi-celebrity cock heads, some average guys like Jeremy, James and Richard with their brand of magic), and get the right content, and we've got a winner.

But like I said.. chances are low.. :p

Last edited:
With what i have seen the Top Gear presenter must have all these things

1. Must have experience as a presenter

2. Must have experience with cars/ car enthusiast

3. Must be opinionated when it comes to car issues/government

4. Must have a great sense of humour

5. Must not show fear when doing stunts

6. Must be insane or can come up with insane stunts

If you have ticked off all these things then you are perfect for Top Gear

See people like the presenters of Top Gear because they are normal blokes who have the same passion of cars like all the people who are in the audience or the people who are watching at home.

That all this needs, three presenters who we can relate to and do share our passion for the cars that we like drive, look at, talk about, even talking on the forum about it. The presenters have to be people who we can just go up to to talk to them and they seem approachable and reliable and know what they are talking about.

This is what British people see in Jeremy, James and Richard and this is what makes them popular. Just three blokes who don't care what the rest of the world thinks about their passion or themselves for that matter.

With what i have seen the Top Gear presenter must have all these things

If you have ticked off all these things then you are perfect for Top Gear

Here are some of the answers for Hamish Blake

Yep he certainly has that

Unfotunately i dont know

Again i dont know

This box can be ticked. He has been funny in everything ive seen him in

Again i dont know

Hamish Blake's mind does work in strange ways sometimes so i would imagine this box would be ticked aswell.

It's not like they'd be filming 40 episodes a year requiring them to pad with stuff like the Holden Epica, probably 20 or so episodes at the most.

The first series will be 8 episodes long, so there are more cars to choose from than they can fit into the series.

Last edited:
The button marked 'multi' over there on the right - you can mark multiple posts, then when you hit 'quote' they all get quoted - and you can keep all your responses in the one, neat post.

I haven't posted in here much, but must say you lot are a bit pessimistic. Lets give the show a chance. It may surprise people.
There also seems to be a large anti-Ford/Holden element in this thread. Don't assume that those who like Fords/Holdens cannot be genuine car nuts who are also interested in other cars. I own a Ford, but enjoy and appreciate ALL cars. Don't be too harsh on us. Many of us are genuine enthusiasts. Though I admit there's more than a few ill-informed bogans who give the rest of us Ford/Holden drivers a bad name.
There's eight shows, so I very much doubt they're be more then one Ford/Holden comparison and maybe some mention of the V8 Supercars at some point. In fact, with the new Falcon released next year, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't featured (just once will be enough). Just as long as the presenters are honest. Aussie cars are part of the landscape and are appreciated by many Aussie enthusiasts. As long as SBS doesn't overdo it, they should certainly include the Fords/Holdens BUT ensure there's plenty of other cars featured as well. And there's other Aussie cars besides Ford/Holden (or even Toyota/Mitsubishi). A feature on the Australian Elfin would be worthwhile.
I'm sure there will be reviews of the Evo 10, Impreza WRX STi, new GTR, M3 V8 and plenty of others. Hopefully at least one genuine supercar - I guess that will depend on the willingness of the importers to let the show have them. I also hope that Japanese cars get just as much of a run as European cars.

However, I do agree with those who are suggesting that the presenters will make or break the show.
I'd normally suggest that Neil Crompton would ideal for such a role - but has contractual obligations to Channel 7 and would probably be too technical for such a show.
So, how about Dick Johnson? Yes, he's a bit older. But he has quintessential Australian humour, knows his cars, is opinionated, not very PC and can even drive a bit. Those old enough to remember his in-car running commentary during 1980s Bathurst races will know what I'm talking about. And if Dick isn't available, then John Bowe might make a good choice (and please how about a track test of his Gallardo GT3 racecar?).
As for the others? This Dieter guy mentioned above sounds like a good choice (I haven't seen him). And either Dave Morley or Paul Cockburn would make good choices.