Australian version of Top Gear

So, how about Dick Johnson? Yes, he's a bit older. But he has quintessential Australian humour, knows his cars, is opinionated, not very PC and can even drive a bit. Those old enough to remember his in-car running commentary during 1980s Bathurst races will know what I'm talking about. And if Dick isn't available, then John Bowe might make a good choice (and please how about a track test of his Gallardo GT3 racecar?).

Dick Johnson would be great but as you said age would be a probelm as he must be around 70 years old now.

I was thinkning, instead of destroying every caravan they meet, the Aussie version could destroy every old Hyundai eXcel they come across.

I can put my opinion into this now finally!

It'll flop. No doubt but a few thinks I'd like to add.

Presenters.

Grant Denyer - Would be good but his Ego is too big and thinks he is too much of a hot-shot.

Con Migro - Would be brillant I think, now sure how he would go on TV but for some dry humor and some insight he would be awesome!

Can't Think Name - I can't think of this guys name, big guy who hosts and comments on the show SpeedWeek on SBS which is a 2 hour show every Sunday which details about various motor categories throughout Australia including.. Sprinters, Supers, Bikes, Bikes(yes twice), Production, Drag, Drift etc etc. I actually quite like that show and think it is run well and it is produced by this guy. He would be excellent I think!

I can't think of who else could be good for this job, none of the current or past V8 commentators could be any good... Too old and drap... Also all of the drivers are too past it I think for this sort of level like Dicko, Perks etc etc..

Just my opiniated opinion!

I was thinkning, instead of destroying every caravan they meet, the Aussie version could destroy every old Hyundai eXcel they come across.

8)

Have a challenge where they jump as many Excels with an Excel! :mrgreen:

I've never seen so much pessimism and negativity in one thread lol

Are all you Aussies really trying to say that in the whole of The land Down Under you can't muster up two or three presenters the equal of Clarkson and co?

I'll admit that Clarkson is a one of a kind.. but the other two, come on!!

I think alot of the pessimism is actually concern that a host will be selected from the rather shallow talent pool of the unfathomably awful Australian commercial stations, viz: excruciating late night phone-in 'game shows', Big Brother, soulless cooking shows, too many reality shows, Idol / ... with the stars / ... Dance / Millionaire / tabloid current affairs / magazine travel shows with tedious presenters.

Mercifully, we have the ABC & SBS so all hope it not lost - just look at the number of people that have signed off with "well, it's on SBS so there might be a chance."

So, how about Dick Johnson? Yes, he's a bit older. But he has quintessential Australian humour, knows his cars, is opinionated, not very PC and can even drive a bit. Those old enough to remember his in-car running commentary during 1980s Bathurst races will know what I'm talking about. And if Dick isn't available, then John Bowe might make a good choice (and please how about a track test of his Gallardo GT3 racecar?).
As for the others? This Dieter guy mentioned above sounds like a good choice (I haven't seen him). And either Dave Morley or Paul Cockburn would make good choices.

I loved the way drivers were interviewed while they were racing.

George Negus (is he a car nut?), Dick Johnson and ... (a younger good looking, but not too good, unknown?) would make an interesting trio. They have a track record of taking the piss and having a laugh - and George also brings a bit of proper journalism to the table.

Or maybe Sam Kekovich, he's good for a rant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWVJikNnx4

I remember talks of trying this in America, with jay Leno hosting it, but it never happened and for good reason. I just dont see any producer being able to recreate this show in other countries without these guys. they are too perfect together.

C'mon chaps, where is the Aussie optimism I expect. You just need three blokes who are mates (not hard to find in Australia) who are bright and intelligent with complimentary characters and like a laugh. Now I'd say Australia is a perfect country to find that in - they can also take the piss out of the POHMs.

Classic! :lmao:

.., some average guys like Jeremy, James and Richard with their brand of magic), ..

But like I said.. chances are low.. :p

I am not sure how the guys are average, have you heard the cars they own and the amount of writing JC has produced !
That is what makes them good, being from outside the "motor/car industry" but liking cars.
Hardly average blokes.

I am not sure how the guys are average
Hardly average blokes.

While they may not be average blokes in the sense of the word, they give the impression that they are average blokes, and therein lies the appeal

While they may not be average blokes in the sense of the word, they give the impression that they are average blokes, and therein lies the appeal

Dr Nick, you are right and it is that skill in connecting with the "average bloke/sheila" that takes talent. Sort of like Roy and HG.

$5 it features some bogans that talk about how much vic you can fit in the back of a ute

You guys are just describing Blokesworld now.

A fine line to follow

A fine line to follow

I'm "hopeful" that SBS will do a good job with TG Down Under. It's an understatement when I say that they have their work cut out for them. TG UK is a tough act to follow and I don't envy the hosts SBS will select to do the job.

We all have opinions on what the hosts should be like. IMO the hosts will not only need a passion for cars, but differing passions for cars and strong opinions to express them. It's boring to watch hosts agreeing with each other all the time as it is to watch hosts with the exact same opinions all the time.

Aussie TG doesn't need blokes, larikins, yobbos, rev-heads, bogans, etc. Just some honest, ordinary guys (or gals for that matter) that aren't stereotypes of how the rest of the world depicts Australians.

As for content, Australia is more than capable of providing it's own unique content and spin on the TG franchise. Sure, we're pretty isolated in terms of nearby countries. Who cares? Road testing old Valiants will draw in the ratings provided it's presented in an interesting way.

We all know what would suck. Lets just hope SBS does too.