Australian version of Top Gear

What if [at least] one of the hosts for the Aussie TG were female?

I guess it could be ok but then we run the risk of forum topics talking about their female bodyparts. E.g. "Vicki's Tits" thread in the 5th Gear forum.

I wouldn't have any problem with a female host, as long as she has all the necessary TopGear hosting qualities. For example, if Sabine Shmidt guest hosted the UK version I think she'd be great.

What I like is it's called a Redback Spyder (haha, geddit?), but it's got a roof. Like, a proper one. That doesn't come off. Plus, it looks like somebody poured a tin of paint over a Zonda then parked it in front of a funhouse mirror. In other words; it's effing ludicrous.

As for hosts, the other important thing about Clarkson, Hammond and May is that they're all good drivers, even if some of them don't go as fast as others. Same goes with Fifth Gear. On that basis, major driving skill comes a close second to personality in terms of importance.

I'd like to nominate Sonia Kruger. Or Giaan Rooney.

But only for the most shallow of reasons. :wicked:

:lol:

How about a female Stig? She could be in racing green overalls and helmet. Green also seems appropriate for an Aussie Top Gear edition.

I think there's a real risk that they go over the top with it being Australian, things like having the Stig in Green would be getting a bit cheesy.

While it needs to have something different to the UK version, covering everything with Australian flags shouldn't be it.

Naw 'Green Stig' would be OK - you are allowed for it to be made by Aussies for Aussies, and if other people like it well all to the good. If any country can use the 'formula' and make good TV fun out of it Australia would be my bet.

A different colour will help identify which Stig it is. Choosing the right colour of Aussie Stig will go a ways to reducing the cheesiness. That's why I emphasised [British] racing green. It's a darker green which isn't cheesy at all.

I don't think this is "covering everything with Australian flags" and I certainly wouldn't encourage such a notion.

So I'm going to finally post something with some substance on Final Gear. I feel its my time to say something thats on my mind and hopefully become a part of this community. This is whats on my mind about this whole Australian Top Gear subject.

It seams a lot of people are slamming this idea, just becaue it isn't our beloved three presnters running the show. So I ask you, have you seen this program. Of course you haven't. I know forums like this are for people to voice their opinion, and so what if you don't want to watch it. Don't be so fucking close minded. I'm going to watch it, I'll give it a few episodes and see how it pans out. I doubt with something as good as Top Gear that the BBC is going to let just anyone host the show and cock it up. Yes they fucked up with the Top Gear on Discovery channel, but I think they learned from that mistake. We all know that some of the Top Gear team are on here on Monday to see what Final Gear thinks of the latest episode. They obviously highly respect Final Gear, or it would be shut down for allowing downloads of their episodes, but I digress.

If you don't want to watch the Aussie Top Gear, don't. I for one will, and hope those in Australia will return the gift those in England have bestowed us with and record and upload these episodes for those not in Australia. I might be in Byron Bay in july, it depends, so I may see these episodes first hand. And if I am, have no doubt I will have them prepared for you, the people of Final Gear as soon as I possibly can.

I know nothing can be the same as the bond you see on screen between Clarkson, May and Hammond. It's a suppliment to it. A compliment to something amazing. I don't see this as a replacement. I see it as an adaptation. Who knows, maybe whoever hosts this show will have something even better about it. Or maybe not better, just something that those guys don't have. I would be humbled if I worked on Top Gear and some one wanted to do something similar.

I'm open minded about a lot of things, so I will give this a chance. I want to see this, just like I would have loved to see the American adaptation of the show that never made it. It's such a unique format, ludicrous races, honest opinions, fantastic car films, amazing camera shots, great music, what more could yo want? Another countries version of the show would add a vareity to Top Gear, something else to look forward to downloading or watching for those of you lucky enough to live in Australia.

I know I'm not a good writer, I just want to say give it a chance. Watch a season of it to see how it is. What do you lose? Hard drive space? It's called delete. It's easy do to. An hour of your time to sit and watch? An hour insignificant in your life when you think about how long you have to live. Don't constrain yourself, give it a chance.

Hopefully someone reads this. Few people do after 13 pages of posts.

A different colour will help identify which Stig it is. Choosing the right colour of Aussie Stig will go a ways to reducing the cheesiness. That's why I emphasised [British] racing green. It's a darker green which isn't cheesy at all.

I don't think this is "covering everything with Australian flags" and I certainly wouldn't encourage such a notion.

Ah, ok, I thought you were getting at giving him a full green and gold Australian racing suit. My mistake.

I might be in Byron Bay in july, it depends, so I may see these episodes first hand.

I don't think it's due to air until late 2008 [probably Sept or later].

Stephanie Brantz might be looking for a new job if they're looking for a token chick.She's likely to be boned from ch9 fairly soon.She's a MILF,so she'd get a few people tuning in.

I don't think it's due to air until late 2008 [probably Sept or later].

Stephanie Brantz might be looking for a new job if they're looking for a token chick.She's likely to be boned from ch9 fairly soon.She's a MILF,so she'd get a few people tuning in.

I'd actually be living in Byron Bay for the better part of a year. So I'd would be great to see it air.

There are details on the SBS website on how to apply for being a host on Top Gear Australia, some select details:
To be part of this fantastic opportunity, you are:

18 years or older on 1 January, 2008 - though if you?re a Lewis Hamilton whose skills could impress our insurance company, then we might consider you.

The holder of a current, unblemished drivers licence.

Available for filming in Australia at dates to be confirmed in 2008.

Not affiliated (beHolden ... hmm) to any car company or motoring company through sponsorship, commercial arrangements or employment.

Demonstrably knowledgeable, opinionated and passionate about cars - and able to deliver that knowledge and passion (along with humour, of course) on screen.

NOT a clone of the magnificent and simply unique Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond or James May. We?re looking for Australia?s own Top Gear faces. Of course you could be a clone of The Stig.

You may be an amateur motor enthusiast and expert who?s not a television presenter. You may be a motoring journalist with little or no television experience. You may have some television experience BUT we?re NOT looking for classic television presenters without knowledge, experience or expertise.
Full details here: http://www21.sbs.com.au/topgear/

There are some good signs in that, not wanting to clone BBC's version completely and not ruling out people who aren't already motoring journalists are good steps in my opinion.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: I am SOOOO doing this!

I've reviewed vehicles in front of a camera before (well, I did a video about my old scooter ...), I'm not averse to hair products and I know far too much about Commodores, despite the fact I've never owned one and never will.

Damn, to be a year or two older.. :(

I've reviewed vehicles in front of a camera before (well, I did a video about my old scooter ...).

I remember that video about your scooter, it was for the competition SBS held while they were airing series 7. :rolleyes:

You be more than willing to move from Adelaide to Sydney if it meant you got to host TopGear then I assume?

I remember that video about your scooter, it was for the competition SBS held while they were airing series 7. :rolleyes:

And we all know how well that turned out! :p

You be more than willing to move from Adelaide to Sydney if it meant you got to host TopGear then I assume?

Moot point, as it's probably never going to happen. But I'd happily remove my testicles and post them along with my entry DVD if that would help my chances. :D

Last edited:
I hate to be negative but it will probably be rubbish. What are the chances of them getting big name supercars and a F1 cars/race cars?

One can only think it will be as exciting as "The Car Show"

Is it just me or does anybody else feel like committing self harm when they hear: Racin Jason, Glen Ridge and Grant Denyer in the same sentence as Top Gear?

Last edited: