Austria starts to fine bikes that exceed 95dB on certain Tyrol roads

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
Well isn't this fun. Includes one of my favourite passes as well, that most of Swisstaly group got to visit. And makes for quite a detour when heading to Ringmeet from further south. And as they mention there, quite a few bikes on sale now exceed that as stock.

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/noise-ban-top-selling-motorcycles-approved-austrian-route#:~:text=Noise ban for top-selling motorcycles approved on Austrian route&text=Austrian officials have enforced a,of Europe's best-selling models.

Edit: Ah, Fernpass is still allowed. So, direct more traffic to the most congested road in the area. That'll be good.

Last edited:
I'm really confused how you can ban a stock bike that was legally sold and registered for public use in Austria. It seems like they should be focused on changing the noise requirements for new production.

I perfectly understand the problem. Bike manufacturers are getting better and better at making their bikes sound as loud and/or annoying as possible in real life while still somehow adhering to the regulations - same as car manufacturers, by the way (looking at Mercedes/AMG, but also many more), but cars are perceived as toolas for transportation, not leisure, so the motorcycles are singled out. BMW and Ducati are probably the most notorious...
And not few bikers change or modify their exhausts to be even louder. This is totally antisocial behaviour, and it is now meeting some backlash. I do not approve of the approach, which is similarly pursued in Germany, mainly because it is bound to hit far more "innocent" bikers than the real offensive ones. But I do understand the motivation.

I'm really confused how you can ban a stock bike that was legally sold and registered for public use in Austria.
Same way you can ban cars from cities for emissions reasons even though they are perfectly legal, I guess.
It seems like they should be focused on changing the noise requirements for new production.
Yes, they should. The problem is that the entities that suffer from loud bikes (communities and regions) do not have the authority to change the requirements, and for years and years now haven't been heard by the nation- or EU-level entities who do have that authority. So they're using the tools they have, even if it results in this somewhat underhanded approach.

With cars and bikes, and with noise as well as engine emissions, the fact that the regulations are full of loopholes curtesy of lobbying by the manufacturers is the real problem.

Personally, I am in luck that my bike is rated at 93 db(A), so below the somewhat arbitrarily chosen limit. Still, I expect to be pulled over in the future...

In the 90s it was kids with huge sound systems in their cars where you couldn’t hear yourself think at traffic lights. Now it seems it’s bikes. I’m not sure how popular Harley bikes are in Germany, but here as it’s the middle aged mans choice, they’re very common here and have such an obnoxious exhaust sound. Loud pipes save lives, so does wearing a helmet numb nuts!