Authenticity of car testing on Top Gear

Add me to that... :+1:

Also, I've noticed that in earlier episodes of Top Gear, James May's hair is quite short. However, in the most recent episode it is much longer. The whole thing is faked. I'm going to start watching Vroom Vroom instead. Not for the cars and stuff, I just like to shout 'die you ***t', at Brendan Coogan.

2 things...

1 - If it comes out that Top Gear car reviews are not accurate, the show's integrity suffers.

2 - Is it at all possible to not put a Z in front of OMG?

Uh oh! Top Gear is the new Man vs Wild!

(..and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'd like to see Bear Grylls do a lap.)

:wall:

Why is it not good enough to just watch the damn show and enjoy it? Seriously its ALOT more entertaining when u just take it all in for what it's worth and stop trying to depress yourself finding all the ways they use clever and perfectly acceptable editing to make it more entertaining.

Then again, maybe you'll end up hating the show for it, stop watching it and consequently stop posting the shit here:mad:

Last edited:
the films are made to please the general public, not car nuts, like most of us here. But didn't the top speed reached on the tg track was in the konnoiniegeseg ccx, wich if i remeber correctly ,was round about 187 mph, thus makeing the lp640 faster than the ccx o_O, possibly, and if you re-view some of the top gear episodes you'll find out that this isn't an isolated case (when they've headed to Milau bridge, outside, they've shown the cars on the highway and when richhard was talking i saw outside the window somekind of town - i re-watch some top gear episodes when i get reallly bored -.

if you read one of the articles in the latest TG mag.... i think its paul horrels column (well the guy who has his after mays) and he categorically says:

TG is not a car show, its an entertainment show

also it may of been 207 on the speedo, but i'd imagine that'll be an over-reading. I know most, if not all, speedo equipment today reads at least 5mph more than actual. my focus always reports +5mph ontop of the actual speed. if im doiing 100MPH according to the speedo then really its only 95. my friends Audi A6 is the same.
clips get reused by the editors either because they are the best ones to convey what is happening even though it may of already been used, or out of time constraints when filming and they just didnt get what they wanted.

i'd rather have a good clip reused, than have a crummy clip with bad lighting or something used just for the sake of not showing anything twice

:wall:

Why is it not good enough to just watch the damn show and enjoy it? Seriously its ALOT more entertaining when u just take it all in for what it's worth and stop trying to depress yourself finding all the ways they use clever and perfectly acceptable editing to make it more entertaining.

Then again, maybe you'll end up hating the show for it, stop watching it and consequently stop posting the shit here:mad:

i agree

this, i feel is one of the biggest reasons people moan about michael bay films like transformers. Instead of just sitting in the cinema and being prepared to basically just relax and watch 2 n a bit hours of robots kicking the crap out of stuff they go in expecting bay to somehow of gotten new skills, looking for holes in the plots, moaning that bumblebee wasnt a beetle etc etc.

if you just go sit an watch it wihtout thinking about it transformers is thoroughly enjoyable

if you go a pick holes in it you'll be sorely disappointed.

same crap with X-Men, all the fans start picking the plot and the character to pieces and it just takes all the fun out of it. just sit the fuck down and watch some mutant bastards use special powers to muller other mutant bastards. how hard is it to do that?

Last edited:
Remember that the Lambo is AWD, and the Konnnegggsegggggsssssssssggssss CCX is RWD, AWD can get up to its top speed in a shorter space (and allow time to stop, just), but given more space the Konig would overtake it.

if you just go sit an watch it wihtout thinking about it transformers is thoroughly enjoyable

So your favorite entertainment is that which is without substance, plot, or form. Are you some kind of simpleton or something?

So your favorite entertainment is that which is without substance, plot, or form. Are you some kind of simpleton or something?

I doubt that. I think he is trying to convey is that sometimes, a person needs to switch off their mind and not analyze everything.

Remember that the Lambo is AWD, and the Konnnegggsegggggsssssssssggssss CCX is RWD, AWD can get up to its top speed in a shorter space (and allow time to stop, just), but given more space the Konig would overtake it.
The Koenigsegg CCX they tested the first time around was just a test mule with unfinished aerodynamics, suspension settings, gear ratios, brake balance and engine management. The latter meant that it made no more than somewhere between 650 and 700 hp, not the 806 quoted for the final car.

The CCX that the Stig broke the lap record with was the finalised item.

In every test i've seen the CCX is faster than the lp640. It doesn't matter if it's 0-100 or "roll on" times as we say in the MC-community. And the AWD system steals power from the engine. and the lambo is 500kg heavier.

also it may of been 207 on the speedo, but i'd imagine that'll be an over-reading. I know most, if not all, speedo equipment today reads at least 5mph more than actual. my focus always reports +5mph ontop of the actual speed. if im doiing 100MPH according to the speedo then really its only 95. my friends Audi A6 is the same.
clips get reused by the editors either because they are the best ones to convey
So what's your point ? +/- 10/15 mph when showing 207 is 192 and if you consider the ccx error ... it's still faster

I don't really mind if TopGear wants to spice things up a bit, like with certain challenges or the news/coolwall/etc. But when it comes to car tests and car comparisons, I think they should stop scripting the entire segment before they ever set in the car. I'd like to think their opinions and verdicts on car tests were honest and valid, and not scripted crap that they thought would be more entertaining.

I don't really mind if TopGear wants to spice things up a bit, like with certain challenges or the news/coolwall/etc. But when it comes to car tests and car comparisons, I think they should stop scripting the entire segment before they ever set in the car. I'd like to think their opinions and verdicts on car tests were honest and valid, and not scripted crap that they thought would be more entertaining.

what's to say that they're not just using scripted crap to show their true oppinion of the car and feel it demonstrates it better than standing and saying this car sucks or this car rules

what's to say that they're not just using scripted crap to show their true oppinion of the car and feel it demonstrates it better than standing and saying this car sucks or this car rules

Say what? Try using a few commas and periods.

One of the latest comparison tests, that I'm thinking of, was the RX8/TT/Brera test. Remember that one? The guys each had their own car throughout the entire segment and they all defended their cars viciously to the end. And back in the studio, after the segment was over, they all admitted to liking the Brera the most. It made the whole comparison a joke. They didn't give their true thoughts, as they later admitted. They all liked the Alfa the most, but never voiced it during the review.

I'm seriously considering buying a Mazda RX8, but I cannot take anything credible away from this test. I'd rather watch Jeremy's first review of the RX8, back when the show wasn't apparently trying to sell out for ratings.

i seem to have heard from somebody in the TG productions staff that during the races, they shoot most onboard stuff during the race but shots of the cars on the road and some other stuff ususally are shot after the race/on the way back

i seem to have heard from somebody in the TG productions staff that during the races, they shoot most onboard stuff during the race but shots of the cars on the road and some other stuff ususally are shot after the race/on the way back

Newbie-Sherlock.jpg

well they're the ones going "the odometer read that they were at the same mile and there was only one person in the car during the jump so therefore nobody can trust anything top gear says"