Authenticity of car testing on Top Gear

well they're the ones going "the odometer read that they were at the same mile and there was only one person in the car during the jump so therefore nobody can trust anything top gear says"

The real problem is, some people here don't seem to care if Top Gear has any credibility. Take Jeremy driving that Audi A8 all those miles on a single tank. Gripping stuff, wasn't it. Is he going to run out of fuel? Can the car make it?

And now, with less and less of the show feeling authentic, who's to say that wasn't rigged as well? A rigged Top Gear is about as pleasant as pants that are 1 size too small. Bearable... but c'mon. You know you could do better.

And the standard response to this line of thinking is, "Stop thinking about it, just enjoy it." The logic of this I guess is, there's nothing there to think about, so enjoy the emptiness. Entertainment requires thought. That's why it's entertaining. That's why Dr. Strangelove will always be considered a comedy superior to anything Robin Williams has done lately. Thinking can be fun. I think so, anway.

You guys are amazing, talking details about what the trio musketeers did.
Either you like the show very much, or hate it.
For me, I find it interesting that the show didn't only show about cars, but what can we do or know about cars.
Even granny can do burning tyres, maybe I should do it too (if I have money lol)

The real problem is, some people here don't seem to care if Top Gear has any credibility. Take Jeremy driving that Audi A8 all those miles on a single tank. Gripping stuff, wasn't it. Is he going to run out of fuel? Can the car make it?

And now, with less and less of the show feeling authentic, who's to say that wasn't rigged as well? A rigged Top Gear is about as pleasant as pants that are 1 size too small. Bearable... but c'mon. You know you could do better.

And the standard response to this line of thinking is, "Stop thinking about it, just enjoy it." The logic of this I guess is, there's nothing there to think about, so enjoy the emptiness. Entertainment requires thought. That's why it's entertaining. That's why Dr. Strangelove will always be considered a comedy superior to anything Robin Williams has done lately. Thinking can be fun. I think so, anway.

there's a fine line between thinking about a show and scruitinizing every teeny tiny useless detail. i love a show that makes me think and can't stand empty, meaningless television. but to say that all of top gear's credibility is gone just because the way a crew gets a shot isn't 100% authentic is a bit much.

and by the way: being an American i know a LOT about crappy tv... and no, im not 600 pounds, i didn't vote for george bush, and my idea of fine motorsports does not include the letters n-a-s-c-a-r

There were some good review in the season 9. The Jaguar and Aston review was by far the best. However, Clarkson's review of the 997 Turbo really sucked. It lacked passion, humor, and credibility. I mean back then, they actually made car reviews interesting.

I guess it's all about a fine balance no? Think about why we all watch Top Gear and love it so much. For me it's that great mix of tech info, road reviews, inventive comparasions and humour.

In a nutshell it's all about three blokes and their views on cars. We all do it! Try removing the studio and putting a pub background instead and voila!!!

At the end of the day if some of you what heavy tech stuff thats fine there are outlets to find that but unfortunalty most of us don't really understand the finer points of engineering (well I don't!!) and prefer the lighter mix within the shows stance.

there's a fine line between thinking about a show and scruitinizing every teeny tiny useless detail. i love a show that makes me think and can't stand empty, meaningless television. but to say that all of top gear's credibility is gone just because the way a crew gets a shot isn't 100% authentic is a bit much.

and by the way: being an American i know a LOT about crappy tv... and no, im not 600 pounds, i didn't vote for george bush, and my idea of fine motorsports does not include the letters n-a-s-c-a-r

That's true. But there is no reason entertainment must come at the expense of information.

And why you think I care about your nationality, your weight, political affiliation, or idea of "fine motorsports," I have no idea.