Auto Annoyances

It's made by Lucas and it still WORKS!?!?!?

Well, wait, nevermind............

Oh, yeah. It's one of the most used pieces of electrical equipment on the cars and I've never heard of one failing (except for when the owner gets annoyed and kills it).

I was in a junkyard one time and found a Series III that'd been mostly dismantled with the buzzer left exposed to the elements for what must have been at least a decade. Out of curiosity, I picked it up, hooked it up to my tester battery that I carry with me...

"BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

F**k.

<stompstompstompstompstompstompstompstompstompstomp>

Last edited:
The mitsu did this ?beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? sound, i almost wished it was a bong. Then we used the ?cut the cable to shut it up? approach

My truck only bongs if you don't turn everything off before opening the door. As long as I get the order right (lights off, engine off, key out, open door) it stays silent.

Mah Lolvo: It's perfect! :D

Suzuki GSR600: It's not exactly pretty, and since i tuned it, it has a low rev jerking going on when it's cold.

Husaberg Fe450: A 5 hour service interval can become tedious.

Oh, yeah. It's one of the most used pieces of electrical equipment on the cars and I've never heard of one failing (except for when the owner gets annoyed and kills it).

I was in a junkyard one time and found a Series III that'd been mostly dismantled with the buzzer left exposed to the elements for what must have been at least a decade. Out of curiosity, I picked it up, hooked it up to my tester battery that I carry with me...

"BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

F**k.

James May once posited that technology only works when it's making life worse. This would be evidence in favor.

James May once posited that technology only works when it's making life worse. This would be evidence in favor.

Or, him being British, the source.

Man. Back when I had my '88 GMC 2500 conversion van, its buzzer was on whenever the key was in the "run" position but the engine was not started. This meant that every time you started the thing, you were treated to a brief moment of BZZZZZZZZZT followed by the V8 (which was seated between the driver's and passenger's seats underneath the grotesquely oversized center console - thus making it a mid engine, RWD vehicle). However that was the only time it buzzed. Ever. It didn't care about anything else - doors, seatbelts, about-to-lock-your-keys-in-the-car (found that out the hard way), nothin'.

Was in West Virginia, deep in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Noticed on morning I was leaving that the water pump was on the absolute verge of death - its input shaft was wobbling. What ensued was an epic ass-haul back towards home trying to outrace the failure - didn't make it, of course. But at <undetermined speed - the speedometer only went to 85 and it was WAY buried> when the shaft came undone and seized, kicking the belt off (thus also killing the alternator, which killed ignition) that V8 roar was suddenly replaced with that infernal BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....

So my father, grandfather (he was following in a second van) and I got to change the water pump on the side of an interstate highway... Which involved dismantling prettymuch the entire front end.

... I kind of miss that thing. Worst part about it was standing around for 20 minutes every 2 days waiting for the fuel tank to fill up. It was, uh, thirsty. Especially at the speeds I drive.

Last edited:

"BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

F**k.

:lol:

Oh the irony. Lucas has it's revenge.

If I turn the volume up on my sterio past 18 my car starts to studder and die. WTF? I still haven't figured this one out. I thought I got it but then it started doing it again.

Also, it needs a new exaust system and a new clutch... that's kind of annoying.

Other than that I love it!

Well, also when it rains I tend to go around corners sideways no matter the speed I'm travelling. But I look at this as more of a driving challenge than an annoyace.

Well, at least the heater controls' illumination seems to be functional again. Like in the previous Mazda, looks like it's going to be going out when it wants.

I've got my learner's permit! YAY!

Now that I'm actually operating motor vehicles, I've noticed things that really just don't work in my mostly-logical mind.

My dad's Toyota Corolla Matrix:

A lovely car. Too bad the seats suck. I really can't complain about this car (except that it's boring) - as i'm likely inheriting it when he upgrades. Things that don't make sense, though:
? Can't change the dashboard thermometer to Celcius. (Yeah, I know, I live in America, shut up. I refuse to be constrained by an outdated system of measurement.)

? The dimming of the dashboard lights in darkness: Convienient. Too bad it seems to be on a 10-second delay.

? The stock radio: No AUX input. Why? Actually, this is a general comment on cars: How hard is it really to put in an AUX input, and why has it taken so long to spread to the world?

? Installing a non-stock radio: Can the world PLEASE just agree to use DIN-sized holes for all dashboard equipment? Would make our DIY minds so happier.

? The Matrix comes with a standard mains power outlet (110volt, American wall-style plug) which is awesome. BUT...the flap that flips down to cover it prevents things like iPod chargers or mobile-phone chargers (or....ANYTHING that has an integral transformer/power brick) from remaining plugged in. Stupid stupid stupid!

My mum's Saab 9-3 SportCombi:

I love this car. I love the way it drives, I love the way it feels, I love how it was designed for tall people like myself.
That being said:

? How hard is it to build a car which doesn't require percussive maintenance to prevent from rattling? My mum always takes me on trips because I know where to slam the headliner around the sunroof.

? AUX input: It's in the centre console, which is nice. There are little indents in the walls of the console where the lid meets it so your 3.5mm wire can escape and you can have whatever-you've-got-plugged-in at the ready. Except there's nowhere convienent to put it except....

? The cup-holder. There's only one. If both front-seat passengers have a hot beverage, one's screwed, as the other cupholder is the infamous Saab folding-spinning-butterfly deal. Looks cool, gobs of fun (Yes, I'm easily amused) but not useful for hot drinks.

? The door locks. Oh how I loathe the door locks. On the Matrix, an electronically-simpler car, the doors lock automatically in a gear that involves the car moving. Shift to Park, and they unlock. Including the rear hatch. In the Saab, they're independent, but the behaviour can be modified. Which is nice...except in order to change the settings, one must visit the dealer and fork over a large sum of cash. Now that we've done so, we discover that it's on a per-key basis. And that when accelerating from the street we live on, the locks cycle 3 to 4 times in quick succession. Oh yeah, and..

? The hatch. I love the SportCombi. It holds almost as much as our old 900 (which I sorely miss) - but the lock is independent from the other locks. Which involves 2 problems:
1. When approaching the car, this requires 2 pushes on a remote (in 2 separate locations) to unlock both the doors and the hatch.
2. When exiting the vehicle, one must remember to push the button on the driver's-side door to access the trunk. As a cellist, this is....annoying as shit. My mum is bad at remembering to push the button. On many occasion I've gotten out, grabbed my bag from teh back seat, and walked to the rear of the car..only to have her drive away because I wasn't opening the hatch. GRR!

i hate wrx's and there stupid blow off valve they all sound the same alright they were cool when they first came out but now u just look like a twat

I've got my learner's permit! YAY!

Now that I'm actually operating motor vehicles, I've noticed things that really just don't work in my mostly-logical mind.

My dad's Toyota Corolla Matrix:

A lovely car. Too bad the seats suck. I really can't complain about this car (except that it's boring) - as i'm likely inheriting it when he upgrades.
Drive more cars. You will learn to LOATHE that car with every fiber of your being.

i hate wrx's and there stupid blow off valve they all sound the same alright they were cool when they first came out but now u just look like a twat

You realize that the BOV serves a purpose, right? And have been around for a VERY long time and "when they first came out" was probably before you were born.

Last edited:
Reallly fucking slippery pedals when my shoes are slightly wet. Foot slips off the cluth so easily. It's gonna make me have a low speed crash whilst trying to navigate my way out of a tight car park or something similar. How hard can it be to have a nice rough pedal that grips and lasts, instead of a tiny super polished frictionless slab of metal.

Drive more cars. You will learn to LOATHE that car with every fiber of your being.

My love for the car stems purely from the fact that i'm getting use of it for free.
I hate the brakes on it. Hate hate hate hate hate hate. Also, the handbrake can't hold the car in place while stopped in neutral. (Our garage floor is slightly sloped. This is how I found out.)

Perhaps I'm biased, but why exactly would you LOATHE the Matrix? There's nothing wrong with it, and with the proper drivetrain - bigger engine, manual transmission - can be quite enjoyable to drive. LOATHE cars that are legitimately awful, not ones that are simply sensible.

I've driven my car for 6000 miles without noticing much dissipation of the squeaking. If anything, it is worse on colder days, but hardly there on warm days. I didn't really have the squeak until bringing the car up to friggin' freezing Colorado. :lol:
If your rotors are worn then they should be resurfaced.

Your case just sounds like it needs some anti-squeel on the back of the pads.

You know what annoys me the most with my car at the moment?

It's the fact that it is on another continent :'(

not much to be annoyed about here, but I'll try :p

- general creaking in the crappy plasticky dashboard when driving on bumpy roads. A good hard slam with your fist on the center console seems to cure it though

- I am unable to turn off passenger airbag, not because it's broken, but because it is impossible. Especially annoying when you have a baby, that needs to be in the back, facing the other way. What Opel want you to do is buy an Opel baby seat that has a sensor thingy in it, and the car "senses" when it's being used and turns off the airbag. Fuck that!

- I reaaaaally with there was a way to turn off the TC/ESP system... I know they had an option to put a button in there, but as my car is secondhand, I did not have that choice. Sure it's safer to have it on all the time, but when it's really crappy weather (or when you want to act like a hooligan), it's nice to be able to kill it

- floor mat is worn completely through after 120k kms. Since I'm usually alone in it, it's the only worn mat. Sadly, you can only buy all 4 mats... :?

that's about it

The Yamaha:
Well, I like it very much as it is, but I'd love it so much more if it had a tiny bit more power. Something like 5hp (well, ok, that's already a 50% increase) would probably be enough already.

And the fuel gauge is woefully inaccurate! It does about 400km on a tank before the gauge reads empty. However, judging from the tank's capacity, the ammount I usually have to refill and the average consumption, it should be good for almost another 100km before it's really empty.
But when the gauge keeps yelling "OH MY GOD ITS EMPTY, YOU'LL RUN OUT OF PETROL ANY MINUTE NOW, FILL ME UP AGAIN ALREADY DAMMIT!" in my face constantly, I don't dare to try out how far it'll really go.
I keep thinking of getting a small canister and finding out the hard way some time, though.

I've tried to increase the power on mine a bit; new airfilter and exhaust. Can't say what the exhaust is (came with the bike when I bought it) but it's louder and the throttle response is better than stock- so I'm assuming the cat. converter was replaced or removed. And I just avoid the fuel gauge completely- odo+tank capacity measurement is what I use, but I also have an extra 8 litre fuel tank (one of those red plastic ones) bungee corded to the rear fender in case I run out/for longer journeys.