Auto Shipping/Transport

Friend took it on the way down from San Jose to Riverside, just this past weekend. It should be a bit better since the rain has stopped. Check the forecasts; we've had so much rain lately I don't know what to do with.

Friend took it on the way down from San Jose to Riverside, just this past weekend. It should be a bit better since the rain has stopped. Check the forecasts; we've had so much rain lately I don't know what to do with.

I hadn't even bothered to check the Caltrans website before the news report about the Tejone Pass yesterday, was just checking ODOT's website and cameras.

But yeah, if I do decide to head back now I'll have to seriously look at weather conditions to make sure I don't get stranded.

Uh oh!

Been keeping an eye on the ODOT's TripCheck website for a few weeks now, and now that my planned departure is imminent for the first time it's snowing up in the Siskiyou Mountains.

This is the view from the webcam at Siskiyou Pass right about now:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2011/01/08/i5siskiyoupass.jpg

:?

It's suposed to snow for the next two days up here in vancouver, then sun for two, then snow for the rest of the week.

Yeah, shit's not looking good. Everyone is urging me to just ship the GTI, and I'd rather just hop a plane and be home in 3 hours rather than spend another 2.5 days by myself on the road, especially since I5 is rather boring... but the shipping companies I talked to really didn't instill any confidence in me.

I'd feel a lot better if there was a company that provided a more cohesive experience, one that owned and ran their own trucks... this whole business of "gimme some commission and I'll hand you off to some trucker who will be your only point of contact" really makes me uneasy.

The I5 does seem really well maintained though, been monitoring the cam I posted up top all day and within an hour or so you could actually get a view from the webcam, and somehow the roads were already cleaned. It definitely doesn't seem like I can stay on top of the weather forecasts as they are unpredictable and change so quickly, I guess I'll have to bite my lip and ship it or just get in, cross my fingers and head out and hope my luck and some common sense keep my out of trouble.

Good luck either way!

I'm sorry Shawn...but shipping a car from California to BC is fucking retarded. You're "stuck" in a front wheel drive car in southern California, drove all the way down but are afraid to put less than 2500 miles on the ODO to drive it back, but somehow think you can rationalize the $1000 cost to ship it up? You bought a VW and you're worried about such small milage affecting resale?? None of this makes sense. If you really wanted to go home and take the car with you, I'd suggest you go buy a pair of snow tires, fill up the tank, pull up your skirt and get driving.

I'm sorry Shawn...but shipping a car from California to BC is fucking retarded. You're "stuck" in a front wheel drive car in southern California, drove all the way down but are afraid to put less than 2500 miles on the ODO to drive it back, but somehow think you can rationalize the $1000 cost to ship it up? You bought a VW and you're worried about such small milage affecting resale?? None of this makes sense. If you really wanted to go home and take the car with you, I'd suggest you go buy a pair of snow tires, fill up the tank, pull up your skirt and get driving.

Gee, you sure have a way with words.

Not that I gave any credence to your timely response, but I did decide to drive it myself and am currently sitting in a hotel room in Northern California 900km into the total 2,100km journey.

The issue now is if I want to drive the remainder in one go... I'm really tempted to do it, not at all in the mood for vacationing like I was first time around so I'd really rather just have the one stopover. I just hope the weather doesn't get in the way... if it doesn't an extra two hours or so on top of what I did today is doable.

FedEx has a car shipping service with its own trucks. They are not the cheapest, but are reliable and can be counted on. You can even get a tracking number and IIRC they do ship cross border.

Doesn't anybody read through threads before replying?

FedEx was already discussed; I am already on the road. At this point I'm just freaking out about the Siskiyou Pass and possible snow...

Haha, well, credit where credit is due then. In my experience, I5 is generally well maintained, even in pretty adverse weather. Take your time if it gets rough - a couple extra hours added to a trip won't kill you, and trying to rush in bad weather often ends in fail.

Doesn't anybody read through threads before replying?

FedEx was already discussed; I am already on the road. At this point I'm just freaking out about the Siskiyou Pass and possible snow...

Of course not, it's 1) FinalGear and 2) the Internet. :p

Well, good luck with the trip. How's little Hunter getting back?

Sorry guys... I know you were just offering up your 2 cents. I've just got a major headache, am sleepy as hell, in no mood for vacationing and sleeping in a strange hotel, and I'm really not looking forward to the probable 12 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow. What I'm saying is, sorry for replying with the tone I did.

I was going to buy chains and have them in my car just to comply with ODOT's chain requirements but I think I'm just going to head out. If the weather is bad enough to require I put the chains on I wouldn't proceed anyway, so I see little point in wasting time buying them and then returning them further on. Do they actually check that you are carrying chains if the weather looks okay?

Do they actually check that you are carrying chains if the weather looks okay?

In my experience driving through I-80 last month, no. If there *is* snow on the ground and they're requiring chains, however, they'll check every car going through to make sure it has them on (unless it's AWD/4WD).

Bah, I'm gonna play it safe and stop over in Portland tonight.

The weather isn't looking that great. Even though the cams show clean roads through the mountains, the TripCheck website is indicating snow flurries. And listening to Vancouver's traffic reports it looks like it's been snowing back home as well... though I could have managed an extra couple hours yesterday, I didn't expereince any inclement weather.

Where I am to Vancouver is about 13 hours best case, not counting the time it takes to clear the border. Factor in some bad weather and that could easily become 14-15 hours. As desperate as I am to get home after 2.5 months away I think I'll take the extra night.

maybe you can ring viper, he has place enough in his new appartement :lol:

Yeah, and his bathtub is pretty swanky as well. :wicked:

I'd be happy if I just get to hit up Voodoo Donuts, it would be the only 'tourist attraction' I have visited out of the 7 cities I stayed in during both legs of my trip.

Just take your time, and be careful. If you think you should stop, then stop.
Chains might be a good idea if they do a random check, and the chains might help in the passes...

Good luck.