Auto Shipping/Transport

Just take your time, and be careful. If you think you should stop, then stop.
Chains might be a good idea if they do a random check, and the chains might help in the passes...

Good luck.

That's what my mother said, it's logical advice.

I'm going to stop at Walmart and buy some chains in case they check, that was my plan all along... the reason I was thinking of not doing it was because last night I wanted to rush home in one day which I'm no longer planning on doing.

Murphy's law.

You was wrong mister! :p

I stopped at Les Schwab to pick up some chains, fuckers had a big sign on the door saying they don't do chain returns earlier than April... their loss, went to Walmart and picked up a set of chains I can return whenever and wherever, and then went on my merry way.

It was snowing in the Shasta Mountains, but as I had thought the heavily traveled road was nothing other than wet. But the main thing I was concerned about were the Siskiyou Mountains, and I didn't even realize when I passed through them - no snow, no ice, nobody checking to see if I had chains in my car. I seriously didn't even realize until well after I had passed them, I don't know why the ODOT website indicated it was snowing earlier in the day there because the roads weren't even wet when I was there 2 hours later. So I guess as nicely designed the ODOT TripCheck website is, it isn't worth squat in helping you plan your trip.

Still glad I decided to stay in Portland though, I got worn out earlier than I did the previous day... and I can take a leisurely drive home tomorrow and not arrive at 3 in the morning. Plus, Voodoo Doughnuts tomorrow!

Oh, and definitely glad I didn't ship my car... saw a bunch of trucks transporting cars, and one of them had this Escalade at the back which, I shit you not, was totally untethered at the front axle and was teetering up and down on the rear axle like a seesaw because the trunk bit that protrudes out from the rear axle was just hanging off the back of the transporter. I don't even know how to explain it properly it was so out of whack.

Anyway, I guess this thread has run its course - I'll be home tomorrow after 2.5 long months and some 4,600km of driving. Thanks all.

Expect to come home to Vancouver Rain. :)