Autoblog: 2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV Detective package details uncovered

Shentar

Car(s)
06 Porsche Cayman S, 90 Miata
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/13/2011-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-detective-package-details-uncovered/
A new generation of police cruisers is afoot. We've already seen the likes of Ford's Taurus-based Police Interceptor up close, and we've even seen General Motors opens the floodgates with a full raft of images of its Caprice PPV. While Ford has opted to use its EcoBoost twin-turbo V6 for high-powered police action, Chevrolet has taken a more traditional approach, fitting the Caprice with a 6.0-liter V8 cranking out 355 horsepower and 384 pound-feet of torque, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

We already knew what to expect for the standard police-spec Caprice, but we've been extra curious about the special "Detective package" that adds some plainclothes stealthiness to the Caprice, especially as it seems to hint at what the oft-rumored civilian version of this car might look like. It's available in seven different colors (we'll just stick with black, thanks), uses all the same mechanical underpinnings as the standard Police PPV, and for the moment at least, remains unavailable in a retail model for John Q. Public.

Be sure to scroll through the gallery below to check out the entire PDF of the Caprice PPV's features.

Looks nice. I still wonder how this is really going to be stealthy when they don't sell this car to the public. Granted, the current detective Caprices aren't too stealthy either with their lights in the windows and blackwall tires and wheels. Am I the only one who thought of this while reading this?

I demand a civvie version!

Why don't they actually go out and take real pics instead of using photoshop to make it looks so fake. Flickr/devArt/the Lens Flair thread have proved that there are a huge number of photographers that can do wonders with anything, USE THEM and maybe the car you try to represent to the people will look better.

Looks nice. I still wonder how this is really going to be stealthy when they don't sell this car to the public. Granted, the current detective Caprices aren't too stealthy either with their lights in the windows and blackwall tires and wheels. Am I the only one who thought of this while reading this?

It's not stealthy for a really car-oriented person. It's stealthy for the 99% of the population who look and just see a bland, anonymously-styled Chevy.

gonna be pretty sick when they hit the resale market, but yeah, maybe i'm thinking this through too much, but the conspicuous Oz-market GM car will make me slow down right away.

It's not stealthy for a really car-oriented person. It's stealthy for the 99% of the population who look and just see a bland, anonymously-styled Chevy.

The people most likely to drive super fast are the people most likely to be able to spot a Caprice.

I see 1 drawback already. It won't be a full frame car, so it will be almost useless for towing.

The people most likely to drive super fast are the people most likely to be able to spot a Caprice.

I dunno, I suspect most high-speed speeders are just asshats with no respect for the law or safety, not serious car enthusiasts. Ever see that show "Speeders" on TruTV?

I dunno, I suspect most high-speed speeders are just asshats with no respect for the law or safety, not serious car enthusiasts. Ever see that show "Speeders" on TruTV?

I was more referring to the fact that they would train themselves to recognize typical cop cars, not that they were serious enthusiasts.

Another thought I just had--it's the "Detective package," not the "unmarked traffic enforcer" package. And it's not just lacking distinctive paint markings, it's lacking push bars, light bars (even concealed light bars as far as I can tell), spotlights, patrol-car steel wheels, etc. Watching Law & Order and similar shows (not that they're necessarily accurate), there's all sorts of people involved in law enforcement who don't actually drive around in marked cars and get to pull people over and stuff. I think this genuinely might be intended for detectives and CSI personnel and the like, not as an unmarked traffic car.

Considering that everyone pretty much knew what this car was going to be (a blander looking G8), I think it's pretty impressive that GM has managed to take so damned long getting it together. I'll be happy about it when they announce that there will be a civilian version.

So, why is GM fucking retarded and not replacing the hideous and craptastic Impala and Malibu and just have the Caprice back. It's (the G8/Caprice shown here) just a better overall car.

I'd imagine the Impala is a bit cheaper as it shares it platform with more cars. Hmm...or at least did...since the Aura is gone now...

So, why is GM fucking retarded and not replacing the hideous and craptastic Impala and Malibu and just have the Caprice back. It's (the G8/Caprice shown here) just a better overall car.

I really don't get that either. Call the "Caprice" the Impala and drop the current long-in-the-tooth, rental-car-special Impala. Done.

I'd imagine the Impala is a bit cheaper as it shares it platform with more cars. Hmm...or at least did...since the Aura is gone now...

There is no longer any current product sharing the platform with the Impala.

Holden would love to sell it as an Impala. They had geared up their plant to produce cars for America. The demise of Pontiac ended those plans.

I see 1 drawback already. It won't be a full frame car, so it will be almost useless for towing.

Almost useless? The cars have a factory option of a 2100kg tow kit. These cars basically tow Australia...