Autoblog: BMW cancels development of E92 M3 CSL

ahpadt

Forum Addict
REPORT: BMW cancels development of E92 M3 CSL

m3csl_cancelled.jpg

There were around 1,400 examples of the BMW e46 M3 CSL built, and by all accounts they were exceptionally well received. However, according to Ludwig Willisch, the boss of the automaker's M division, the current e92 M3 won't get the same treatment. He ? or perhaps the accountants ? feel that "based on current numbers, there is most likely insufficient demand for the M3 CSL."

If a current scorching version of the e92 were to exist, it would have been bumped by anywhere from 36 to 56 horsepower, shed 200 pounds or more, worn some different tires and a set of bigger lungs. In light of the possible volume, though, which would be small, BMW ? or again, its accountants ? would rather focus on the X6 and X5 for now. Thanks for the tip, Mike!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/27/report-bmw-cancels-development-of-e92-m3-csl/

Nooooooo... :(

BMW ? or again, its accountants ? would rather focus on the X6 and X5 for now.

I want Germany / the EU to introduce a massive SUV tax, stopping all this x-something / q-something shit dead in its tracks.

Fuck you BMW! Fuck you!

Ok, ok. I'm sorry. Didn't mean to hurt you. You make some great cars.

But that would have been the BEST! So fuck you and your accountants!

Bean counters running perfectly good passionate car companies FTL. :thumbsdown:

The 3 series has become too fat anyway. <_<

The current M3 weighs a hefty 1,680 kgs (3733 lbs). A lot of weight to save for the CSL though...

The 3 series has become too fat anyway. <_<

The current M3 weighs a hefty 1,680 kgs (3733 lbs). A lot of weight to save for the CSL though...

Yeah, too many cars are overweight these days... after making my post, I was thinking about how one could implement a SUV tax, and I was thinking "ok, just say 2000kg and up", but the fuggin RS6 weighs over 2 tons, and I don't want that taxed!

Yeah, too many cars are overweight these days... after making my post, I was thinking about how one could implement a SUV tax, and I was thinking "ok, just say 2000kg and up", but the fuggin RS6 weighs over 2 tons, and I don't want that taxed!

I'm fairly sure Audi could've made the RS6 a lot lighter if they just bothered.

probably... OK, we need a 2 tonne tax.

The E92 is really the new yuppie sports car of choice, good for BMW's pockets bad for us gearheads. The E46 was much more of a purist car. Still, with the E92 being so fat I'd like to see what a slim one could do.

let the flaming begin :) .. they should have cancelled the X6 instead, god that car is hideous.

Yeah, that makes sense. After all, they're the company who says "We make the ultimate driving machine". Focusing on hot SAVs is what they should be doing. Oh wait--

It's alright, the regular M3 coupe still gets the ghey CF roof. :D

I prefer an "M1 Coup?" instead of a CSL version of the current M3. It got to big for my tastes.

How hard is it just to release an M3 with most of the crap stripped out?

How hard is it just to release an M3 with most of the crap stripped out?

I guess it must be hard, since most crap is safety related...:|