Now that Audi has begun production and sales of the new A4 sedan and wagon, it's time to start rounding out the lineup. At next week's Paris Motor Show the next generation S4 will debut and marks the introduction of a new powerplant for the S-series lineup: a supercharged 3.0L TFSI V6. The supercharger uses a pair of four vane rotors and sits in the valley of the engine block, with air fed through a pair of intercoolers to the combustion chambers where a direct injection system provides the fuel.
With 333 hp and 325 lb.-ft. of torque fed through either a six-speed manual gearbox or a new seven-speed S-Tronic dual clutch transmission, the S4 sprints to 62 mph in 5.1 seconds. Like the more subdued A4, the S4's quattro system delivers 40 percent of the torque to the front axle and the remaining 60 percent to the rear. As with previous S models, the S4 get a more aggressive looking front and rear fascia and a new 18-inch wheel design. Inside, the S4 gets more supportive sport seats and the usual assortment of trim upgrades.
Our European friends will be able to get their mitts on both sedan and Avant wagon variants of the S4 starting next March. Here in the U.S. we'll have to wait until the fall and we'll also have to make do with the sedan only. Pricing should be similar to the current model at about $48,610.