Autoblog: Paris 2008: Audi S4 sedan and Avant, 333 hp of fun!

ahpadt

Forum Addict
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/22/paris-2008-audi-s4-sedan-and-avant-333-hp-of-fun/

r_sp_002-1280.jpg

r_006-1280.jpg

in_s4_l_003-1280.jpg

Now that Audi has begun production and sales of the new A4 sedan and wagon, it's time to start rounding out the lineup. At next week's Paris Motor Show the next generation S4 will debut and marks the introduction of a new powerplant for the S-series lineup: a supercharged 3.0L TFSI V6. The supercharger uses a pair of four vane rotors and sits in the valley of the engine block, with air fed through a pair of intercoolers to the combustion chambers where a direct injection system provides the fuel.

With 333 hp and 325 lb.-ft. of torque fed through either a six-speed manual gearbox or a new seven-speed S-Tronic dual clutch transmission, the S4 sprints to 62 mph in 5.1 seconds. Like the more subdued A4, the S4's quattro system delivers 40 percent of the torque to the front axle and the remaining 60 percent to the rear. As with previous S models, the S4 get a more aggressive looking front and rear fascia and a new 18-inch wheel design. Inside, the S4 gets more supportive sport seats and the usual assortment of trim upgrades.

Our European friends will be able to get their mitts on both sedan and Avant wagon variants of the S4 starting next March. Here in the U.S. we'll have to wait until the fall and we'll also have to make do with the sedan only. Pricing should be similar to the current model at about $48,610.

05.audi.s4.500.jpg

Nope. I still think the last few generations had a much cleaner look.

Wasn't B6 A4 350HP? Also since it's supercharged I assume you should be able to change a pulley and get a bit more power?

Wasn't B6 A4 350HP? Also since it's supercharged I assume you should be able to change a pulley and get a bit more power?

B6/B7 made more horsepower...which many would think doesnt make sense but according to audi, the V6 is going to get a lot better fuel economy.

also i think that the V6 is going to be easier to tune in the aftermarket world since its forced induction. however, i don't know why they went with a supercharger rather then a turbo.

Down on power a smidgen, perhaps the torque of the V6 turbo makes up for it. I do think the new model looks better than the old one, last generation Audi's look like expensive Volkswagen's.

Personally speaking, I think the new one looks like an ugly AND expensive Volkswagen.

absolutely LOVE the new Audis (loved the old ones too, though), saw an A5 drive down the street the other night, with only the LED's on, and the car looked absolutely phenomenal. Something to gun for in the middle term for me :)

B6/B7 made more horsepower...which many would think doesnt make sense but according to audi, the V6 is going to get a lot better fuel economy.

also i think that the V6 is going to be easier to tune in the aftermarket world since its forced induction. however, i don't know why they went with a supercharger rather then a turbo.
I think the reason for it was to try and mimick the smoothness of the V8. With a turbo they would have to go twin, which might be a little too difficult due to plumbing and heat issues. To make it worse they have moved the engine further back in the B7/8 platforms so I suspect space is an issue, the supercharger is just sitting in the V part of the V6 so not really taking up much room. I wonder if someone will make a turbo kit for it though.
absolutely LOVE the new Audis (loved the old ones too, though), saw an A5 drive down the street the other night, with only the LED's on, and the car looked absolutely phenomenal. Something to gun for in the middle term for me
I like the B7 platform better than the B8, this one has a front that looks too much like the C class. Also I do love the S5 but the standard A5 is kind of lacking. The B6 has a more subtle and tamed look to it but with good presence, not so much standing but moving at speed it stands out.

Last edited:
the existing V8 was an absoblutely brilliant engine...
but at these times, perhaps fuel economy means a lot, and perhaps the new V6 is cheaper to build and much easier to package...

but I still love that V8~!

I remember reading somewhere that Audi wanted to widen the gap between S and RS models. This is, I think, a very good way to do the trick. A SUpercharged V6 for the S and a big V8 for the RS (perhaps even with extra boost ??)

I approve, very much so.

Don't much care for the A4's design. When I see all those LEDs cramped onto the car, I automatically think cheap Christmas lights from Canadian Tire.

B6 and B7 S4s were ~340HP. A4s got nowhere near that stock.

Don't like the new B8 look. Starting to go the Bangle lines and it's just...blech.
My bad I meant S4 obviously not A4. B6 is 170 and B7 is 200 :) Well stock in any case, mine is 215 now, APR FTMW.
I completely disagree; that A4 generation is horrid.
You hurt my car's feelings :cry:

Definitely seems odd they'd go Supercharged with they've been pushing turbos for so many years and everyone is jumping back on that bandwagon to get power and economy. Audi of all companies knows how to do a turbocharged engine these days.

You are both wrong! They are all nice. :D
Yeah, they're all great! :D

This car is a nice sleeper :cool:

You both sound like those irritating commercials during the saturday morning cartoons preaching about equality and acceptance. https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2008/09/27/jerkit.gif

:p

I'm of the opinion that most Audi's, if not all, look pretty good, and only get better with each generation, though those LED's in the headlights like the R8 have seem a bit tacked on at the last minute.
I'd wager some ass hat at the company who had to get his 2 cents in (and probably some bonus) suggested those get thrown in there.

though those LED's in the headlights like the R8 have seem a bit tacked on at the last minute.
I'd wager some ass hat at the company who had to get his 2 cents in (and probably some bonus) suggested those get thrown in there.

i personally love the LEDs...and might aswell get used to them as thats going to be the new face of Audi like the angel eyes on BMWs. The new A4/S4, A5/S5, and R8 all have them. They really do look amazing in person (it doesnt really show in pictures). I saw a S5 on the road the other day and you could see it coming from so far away because of the LEDs..they have a greenish-blue tint to them.