[Autoblog] Schumacher to return to F1 - in a Mercedes?

chvvkumar

Say it ain't so, Schu! The Daily Telegraph is reporting that seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher is close to signing on with the newly formed Mercedes Formula 1 team. Mercedes is the new name of the former Brawn GP team, the current Constructors Champion. After a stellar rookie season that saw this former Honda team clinch not just the Constructors Championship, but also the Drivers Championship for Jenson Button, they had a bit of a dropoff as Button bolted for rival McLaren.

That left a seat to fill at Mercedes and if BBC Sport's Eddie Jordan is to be believed, none other than Michael Schumacher is about to sign a one-year contract to return to racing in that very car. The deal, which would net Schumacher the same salary that Button turned down at Brawn GP in favour of McLaren, would finally see the German teaming up with Mercedes, who were in the past unsuccessful in their bids to lure him away from Ferrari.

Ferrari almost lured the retired champ back this season when Felipe Massa went down following the infamous spring incident in Hungary. The Champ's sore neck put a stop to that comeback, but apparently it got Schumi's juices flowing again. Signing with Mercedes would create something of a German dream team with Nico Rosberg in the other car. If the deal goes through, MS will be reunited with Brawn GP-namesake and current Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, the man who guided Michael to all seven of his World titles.

Still just a rumor for the moment, the deal is said to give Schumacher the same salary Button turned down when he defected to McLaren. The Schumacher deal is just the latest volley in the silly season melee that has seen Kimi Raikkonen vacate his seat in order to make room for Fernando Alonso at Ferrari, which lost adviser Michael Schumacher as well. Whatever the future holds, it is only going to get more interesting. We'll keep you posted as things develop. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/20/breaking-schumacher-likely-to-return-to-f1-racing-with-mercedes/

Well, it it is true, next F1 season should be one hell of an year!

Last edited:
So he would be driving for Mercedes and test driving for Ferrari?

this is being discussed in the silly season thread as well.

but no, he currently is not contracted to Ferrari F1, just the motorcar as a developer/consultant, so he would just ask for the ability to drive for mercedes. See Eddie Jordans interview

Won't happen.

^ now that would be a travesty!

Mercedes calls it a Dream, nothing more.

"It's clear that there will always be speculation as long as one cockpit is still free," a spokesman for Mercedes, as quoted by Reuters, said on Saturday, "and some speculations are nothing but dreams which will not come true."

A notable believer of a Schumacher deal was former team owner and BBC television pundit Eddie Jordan who, like F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone, believed that a deal may already be in place. With the smart money firmly on Rosberg, though, fellow countryman Nick Heidfeld is seemingly a likely candidate for the second seat.

I'm reminded now that EJ and Bernie, basically share a bed.

All this talk of turning Brawn into Mercedes team is kind of bumming me out. Even more so making it quintessentially German. Seemed like last year, it was quintessentially British, with British ownership, British crew, and one of the two drivers being British (did I say British enough yet?). I would have liked to see it stay that way. I guess Mclaren is taking that torch fully on now, with their plan to start eventually making their own engines, and having two British drivers at the helm. I know that baring Ferrari and Toyota, they are all largely based in the UK anyways, but its not the same as having a team that identifies as from UK. I'm sure I'll get over it, and I think Rosberg may finally get the car he has been hoping for, but I just hope the Brawn teams identity doesn't get erased by this.

JH

Williams have always been the quintessentially British team in F1. McLaren were always confused by the fact that while they were British, they weren't seen that way. People tended to view them as some sort of international hybrid. So this reshuffling should certainly help that perception.

As for Brawn's identity, I don't think there'll be much to remind us of that in 2010...

Williams have always been the quintessentially British team in F1. McLaren were always confused by the fact that while they were British, they weren't seen that way. People tended to view them as some sort of international hybrid. So this reshuffling should certainly help that perception.

As for Brawn's identity, I don't think there'll be much to remind us of that in 2010...

Thats true, I did forget Williams. That said, even they aren't really British anymore (though moreso for 2010 with Cosworth engines). Running Toyota engines, which are/were Japanese/German with a German/Monaco driver and a Japanese driver. Heck, even Frank and Patrick are starting to sell off pieces of the company.

In my mind, once the Merc deal is done with, Mclaren will certainly take over the UK badge. I guess my main gripe with Mercedes taking over Brawn, was that it was really neat to see an independent company doing really well. Much easier and fun to root for the plucky British guys with their own team, instead of a giant corporate team (how giant remains to be seen I suppose). Its gonna be a very different year next year for sure (yes, for sure).

JH

Frankly I don't care about nationalities, as long as the sport is fun to watch and all team members and drivers are fair sportsmen. Besides, the sport is still dominated by the British technology-wise.

Having said that: Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug is pointedly not denying the rumor about Michael Schumacher driving for Mercedes next year and obviously enjoys the attention.

He said that "there are dreams and that is alright. That doesn't mean they always come true. For me, however, one just became true and I'm completely satisfied with that" and "let yourself be surprised. I'm sure the fans will love our choice".

A denial sounds different.

Last edited:
"there are dreams and that is alright. That doesn't mean they always come true. For me, however, one just became true and I'm completely satisfied with that"
"let yourself be surprised. I'm sure the fans will love our choice".

A denial sounds different.

Sounds like "Hell yeah, i've signed Mika Hakkinnen" to me. ;)

Merc will have Rosberg and Schumacher at the start of the season, but halfway through Bahrain Rosberg will have a chronic eyebrow injury and Hakkinen will have to take over for the rest of the season.

If this shit happens, if the pundit ass Jordan is right, I'm fucking commiting suicide. Screw it.

Merc will have Rosberg and Schumacher at the start of the season, but halfway through Bahrain Rosberg will have a chronic eyebrow injury and Hakkinen will have to take over for the rest of the season.

Mika said to the BBC in Singapore that he will never return to F1.