Autocar: Volvo plans 500bhp, M3-beating Polestar S60

Mr. Nice

Volvo plans 500bhp, M3-beating Polestar S60

Full Article

A 500bhp, Polestar-developed version of the Volvo S60 will make production, insiders have revealed. The new model, developed by the team behind Volvo?s Swedish Touring Car Championship entry, was spied in Sweden for the first time last week and is said to be close to a market launch.

Insiders have given no details away other than the BMW M3-eclipsing power output. It is unlikely Volvo would have stretched its six-cylinder engine to make such a figure, so power is expected to come from a turbocharged version of the 4.4-litre Yamaha V8 found in the XC90 (and ?the Noble M600).

A Haldex all-wheel drive system is also likely to feature, along with a pair of clever differentials taken from the C30 Polestar concept.

The spy pictures mask Polestar?s bodywork changes, but these are likely to include a more aggressive front end with additional engine cooling, plus wider sills and a diffuser at the rear. The spy pics do show the new, larger alloy wheels.

Polestar offers performance upgrades for various Volvo models, but it has not created a full-blown Volvo production car before. The Polestar C30, which used a 400bhp 2.5-litre, five-pot engine, was never given the green light, despite positive feedback.

Full Article

Volvo, meet tree.

is the S60 that small that it competes with the m3? wasnt it in the m5 size range?

is the S60 that small that it competes with the m3? wasnt it in the m5 size range?

No the S80 is about the same size as the five series.

The S60 got bumped up in size with the 2011 re-design too.

2012 S60 335

Exterior length 182.2 " 182.5 "

Exterior body width 73.4 " 71.3 "

Front head and leg room are within an inch of each other as well.

It's somewhere between the two. The 3er is a little smaller (15 cm) , with less horsepower (420) and about (probably) 150kg lighter. The M5 is much heavier, much more powerful and a little bigger.

We already had a topic about this. The 500hp is not guaranteed. The car will be unveiled June 16. My guess is 415hp.

I'm thinking T6 with big turbos.

Pole star?
nj_pole_dancing_classes.jpg

T6, 508 hp @ 6500 rpm, 575 nm @ 5500 rpm, 0-100 3,9s, AWD, alcantara everything.

Why even bother. A V70 D5 is all the Volvo you'll ever need. And then a second hand MX-5 for the track.

If it's any good at all I would buy this over an M3 just because its not an M3

The RS4 was pretty much was at one point.

As others have tried to claim, unless it's RWD, it can never be as good/fun as an M3. Personally, I don't really buy into it. I've always been more interested in grip than drifting, so a car that can stick to the road and slice through corners is more interesting to me than a car that oversteers everywhere. I see M3's so often that I really can't be bothered to care. If I had the kind of money to afford one of these types of cars, I would probably pass on the M3 for something a bit more exclusive, unique, and interesting.