Autocross in Eastern Kentucky

SquareLeft

Car(s)
2019 Mazda6 Sport, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1961 Morgan
I ran my first autocross in a number of years last weekend. I didn't do too well; but I expected that given that it (1) had been at least 12 years since I had competed and (2) it was my first time driving my WRX [or any other AWD car, for that matter] on pavement. The AWD combined with the sticky Falken 660 tires created an unexpected problem for me - I couldn't get the car to rotate. I'm sure I just wasn't driving aggressively enough, but it's going to take some practice to throw it much harder into corners!
WRX autocross 082022.jpg

I haven't been to an autocross in a number of years either. Hope to take the BRZ in about 6 weeks. Does tech care about leaking struts? :ROFLMAO:
I don't know of any region that specifically checks for strut leaks. This may be overkill, but here is the recommended set of inspection procedures for SCCA Solo II (autocross). I don't have a 2022 copy handy. but any changes from 2021 should be minimal. Sorry if it's bit long...

2021 Solo II Inspection Requirements

1. All loose items, inside and outside the car, must be removed. Hand held items, such as but not limited to, cameras and cell phones are considered loose items.

2. Pedal operation must not be impeded. Driver’s side floor mat must be removed unless securely mounted. OE fasteners designed to prevent the mat from moving forward satisfy this requirement if they are in good working order.

3. Passenger’s seat back and all cushions, bolsters, headrests, etc. must be secured. All allowed aftermarket replacement seats (i.e., driver and passenger) must be securely and safely mounted. Special care should be taken when using other than OE mounting points and/or fabricated bracketry.

4. Any cameras, if installed, must be securely mounted to withstand loads from driving maneuvers. The camera may be installed either inside or on the outside of the car. In either case, its mounting method and position must not interfere with driving or pose an additional hazard to driver, passenger, or course workers.

5. Snap-on hubcaps, detachable fender skirts, and trim rings must be removed.

6. Wheels must be safely affixed. They shall not be reversed so that the lughole taper does not mate with the chamfer of the lugs. All studs and lug nuts must be present and functional.

7. Tires must be in good condition, with no cord or belts showing or cracks in the tread or sidewall. Each tire must have measurable (i.e., exhibiting positive measurement values) tread depth at no less than two points on the tire which are 180° apart around the circumference, and which are within the center one-half of the tread surface that normally contacts the ground. Tires may not have cord visible at the start of competition.

8. Seat belts (and harnesses if used) must be properly installed with attaching hardware, in good condition, secure, tight, and in compliance with Section 3.3.1.

9. Throttle return action shall be safe and positive.

10. No excessive fuel, oil, water, or brake fluid leaks should be observed. For all Prepared and Modified category vehicles, engine crankcase vents and radiator overflow/breather lines must terminate in containers of at least one quart capacity. These containers cannot be vented into the driver/passenger compartment. Crankcase, oiling system, breather, or catch tank evacuation systems that are in any way connected to the exhaust system are prohibited. Vent tanks are not required with systems which are completely closed (i.e., have no venting to the atmosphere). All oil lines passing through the driver/passenger compartment shall be made of metal braided hose or equivalent (e.g., Nomex, Kevlar, or nylon-braided hose) with AN Series threaded couplings or entirely covered and protected with a metal cover (this does not apply to the small oil lines used for mechanical oiling system gauges).

11. Steering “spinner” knobs shall not be permitted.

12. No broken or missing spokes or more than one loose spoke per wheel shall be permitted in wire wheels. No cracks shall be permitted in disc or cast wheels. Other than standard parts as defined by these rules, non-metallic wheel construction is prohibited (FSAE cars are exempt from this requirement since the FSAE rules allow non-metallic wheels).

13. Brakes must have an adequate pedal, sufficient fluid in the master cylinder, and no apparent hydraulic leaks under pressure. Vehicles must have a brake mechanism acting upon each wheel. The braking system shall be a dual system, arranged in a manner to provide braking for at least two wheels in the event of failure in part of the system. In the case of OE single systems, this requirement may be satisfied by a functional, redundant emergency brake. Karts are exempt from this requirement.

14. All swing axle cars, except Porsche, must have a camber compensator, have negative camber on the rear wheels, or have axle-limiting straps. Standard pre-1967 Volkswagen straps are not sufficient.

15. Wheel bearings, shocks, steering, and suspension shall be in good operating condition.

16. Exhaust must exit behind the driver or exit to the side of the car.

17. On-board starters shall be provided.

18. All batteries (on-board power supplies) shall be attached securely to the frame or chassis structure, independent of any container or cover that may be present. Any wet-cell battery moved from the manufacturer’s original location shall be in a non-conductive, marine-type container or equivalent and the “hot” terminal shall be insulated. NOTE: This will allow the use of gel cell or dry cell (AGM) batteries without a non-conductive, marine-type container where applicable.

19. Roll bars, if installed, must meet the applicable portions of Section 3.3.2 and Appendix C with specific attention to roll bar height.

20. Helmets for all occupants of the vehicle are to be inspected for condition, fit, and compliance with Section 4.3.1, Driver’s Safety Equipment, Helmets.

21. Flex fans are not allowed.

22. Alcohol may not be used in manifold injection or spray bottles.

23. For cars competing on non-DOT-approved tires, the vehicle safety requirements as referenced in each category rule set, in addition to those in Mandatory Sections of the Solo® Rules, shall be adhered to by all entrants.

24. A vehicle must meet the requirements of Section 3.3.2 as they apply to all categories in which it is entered.

25. For all karts, chain guards are required on engines.

26. For all karts, a “brake safety cable” or redundant brake pedal connection is required.

27. For those categories which permit fuel cells and/or fuel tank modification or replacement, the following requirements apply if the fuel tank/cell does not fit within the same area as the OE tank. a. No part of the fuel tank or fuel cell shall be closer than 6.0” (15.24 cm) to the ground unless enclosed within the bodywork and mounted above the floor pan. A metal bulkhead is required that provides total separation between the driver compartment and the compartment containing the fuel tank/cell and/or filler neck. This includes fuel tanks/cells that are flush mounted with driver compartment panels or otherwise exposed to the driver compartment. Fuel filler doors in the driver compartment must be positively fastened (non-metallic fasteners are not allowed). For the purposes of these rules, a fuel tank consisting of a structure containing a fuel bladder is considered to be the entire fuel cell including the containing structure. The containing structure of a fuel cell does not qualify as a bulkhead. A separate metal bulkhead must isolate the fuel cell from the passenger compartment. b. Internal body panels may be modified to accommodate the installation of the fuel tank/cell as long as such modifications serve no other purpose. In the event installation includes encroachment into the driver’s compartment, a metal bulkhead shall prevent exposure of the driver to the fuel tank/cell. c. Fuel tank/cell breathers shall not vent into the driver/passenger compartment.