Automotive Deal-breakers

CAPT_Howdy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2004 Mazda6 Estate 3.0
I was doing one of my favorite activities - perusing cars for sale - when I came across this Cadillac.

Hmm, I like the color. Aftermarket wheels, but they're the same size as stock and not too bad looking. The chrome trim on the B pillar I can do without, but it's a small thing and easily removed. Then, I see this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/08/13/6964501-6-5-cefec7e8.jpg
Yep, it has a tramp stamp - deal's off.

And I began to wonder - what are some things that would turn you off of a car that you want? Assuming that everything else is what you're looking for - make, model, engine/transmission, color - what's a deal-breaker for you?

Seating position. As cool as the Fiesta and the new Focus are, holy crap, those are awkward cars for me to sit in for some reason.

Rust.

And yeah, both of my cars had rust when I bought them. Well, the Mazda still does, but I'll deal with it next week. Why do I always think "Well.. I can fix that" :p

When looking through ads on second hand cars, I tend to quickly dismiss any cars with after-market wheels on them. Any sort of after-market bits and pieces on a car tends to put me off as I get the feeling that these cars were abused the most.

Trucks used for snow plows, any kind of modification no matter how small, and dealers who would prefer to lecture me for half an hour about leasing a Toyota Corolla than sell me an Audi A6 Avant.

I've only look at buying cars 35 years old so I have a few odd niggles...

I won't buy low mileage cars, especially cars that only come out on weekends etc. As soon as I pressure it back into daily use everything that is just coping with the odd 15miles trip to the shops on a sunny afternoon at 45mph will break. I look for cars that are already daily drivers, cars don't take well to sitting in garages 90% of the time.

I don't like cars with no history, fair enough if some of it is missing after 3 decades but I'd like the last several years at least...

Structural rust is a no-no, I don't have the ability to DIY it and its not cheap, best to buy a car as solid as possible.

Modifications, it is very popular to modify classic cars... often badly and resulting in them being worse to drive. It may look great with fat alloy wheels and a small steering wheel but it also makes the steering twice as heavy as it should be...

Also depends on the seller, if I turn up to view it and its not as described as in the ad or over the phone I'm not going to take it. If the cars obvious faults weren't noted God knows what might be wrong with it...

Other than that I'm not really picky, I don't even mind having 3 wheels... as long as it isn't pink or purple... :p

More than two doors :)

Oh Posmo, how we've missed you. :lol:

As for me, chrome strips on the dashboard or console are a dealbreaker. Also known as eyesight killers if the sun is anywhere near being somewhat behind you. See: Chevy Malibu, W211 E-Class.

AFAIK Sierra's are RWD or AWD, there never was FWD.

That's the joke, guys - Posmo is fervently anti-FWD.

He was extolling the benefits of RWD before he even got his license, IIRC.

I know, so that's why I don't get the "If you hate FWD why did you buy a Sierra then?" joke. But I guess I'll have to sleep and then I'll get it in the morning :p

Now you all spoiledorzied it. :(

Anything that has been modded, if I detect signs of modding, I walk away.