Automotive Deal-breakers

Cruise control. My daily driver has to have it.

because I will always cringe at the sight of an aftermarket stereo.
....... There are many reasons to have an aftermarket stereo if the car is daily. For instance navigation and iPod connectivity....

But the strain on the drivetrain leaves its mark.

At least over here a car having a towbar doesn't really mean that it's been used extensively to tow heavy objects. Besides, using a car in a mountainous region also puts extra stress on the drivetrain, but I doubt that you check for an imported car that it didn't come from the Alps originally because of the extra stress that puts on the drivetrain.

I would check. :p

Rust is really a deal-killer; I checked a 1998 M-B A170CDI today. 168k on the clock, klima, part-leather etc. Every wheelarch and door bottom was rusted; the doors were completely peppered with surface rust from the trim downwards. I didn't even ask for the keys after seeing it all.

Something that I found obnoxious when looking at used cars, everything being the top trim package. Yes, I totally want to pay more money for things that I do not want or need and will just be another thing to break. Mom's outback is the high end trim level and pretty much every single feature of it makes it obnoxious to drive for me.

Something that I found obnoxious when looking at used cars, everything being the top trim package.

Who cares when someone else paid for it?

Anyway, in addition to Jupix's already comprehensive list..

-There's a curious tradition here in Finland-land, of emphasizing the Finnish origins of a used car. Which used to be appropriate in the '90s I guess, when imported cars had a possibility of tampered mileage etc. But nowadays if the ad says "SUOMIAUTO" or "Finnish car", I'll just fold and wait for the next hand instead of facepalming at someone actually being proud of having spent money for a car without any noteable equipment, wielding the smallest engine of the bunch, white paint, no A/C, cassette players, cloth seats, tiny wheels with hubcaps.. the list of what's not included when it's a suomiauto goes on and on.

-Automatic transmissions are usually a dealbreaker for me. If it's not a total cruiser, it'll have to be a manual for me. Unless it's a modern car with some sort of wizardry-gearbox, but those aren't on my "which used car should I buy"-list.

-Also, some tiny details usually shout "da bomba" to me. Details that a moron previous owner will not bother to fix, but details that give out huge clues as to how the car has been treated in its life.

Works the other way round as well - sometimes the car looks awfully rugged on the outside and even has a few technical glitches. But has a stout heart.

And that, gentlemen, is ALWAYS a deal. :)

-Also, some tiny details usually shout "da bomba" to me. Details that a moron previous owner will not bother to fix, but details that give out huge clues as to how the car has been treated in its life.

Works the other way round as well - sometimes the car looks awfully rugged on the outside and even has a few technical glitches. But has a stout heart.

And that, gentlemen, is ALWAYS a deal. :)

Can you list some? I'm quite interested in that, because I meticulously look for details too when looking at a possible buy. New imputs are always welcome.

....... There are many reasons to have an aftermarket stereo if the car is daily. For instance navigation and iPod connectivity....
You can always get those kits that connect through the back if it doesn't have iPod connectivity.

You can always get those kits that connect through the back if it doesn't have iPod connectivity.
Depends on the factory radio for the most part. For the Symphony in my car it had an optional iPod kit so you could easily get it hooked up. OTOH the Pioneer head unit that I use is 10x better than the stock radio in every single way except for being an actual radio, reception is terrible on it but it has Pandora built in and navigation :)

I just think it's silly to hate on an aftermarket radio, it won't make the car any better to drive but it might make the drive more enjoyable, not to mention that its fairly difficult to fuck up installing a radio...

It's just I don't like the out of place look of an aftermarket radio.
That means the person chose the wrong radio :p (Stock radio for my car is $40 not exactly expensive or problematic to replace), though I wouldn't sell my car with the head unit I have I'd rather keep it and put it in another car :)

Depends on the factory radio for the most part. For the Symphony in my car it had an optional iPod kit so you could easily get it hooked up. OTOH the Pioneer head unit that I use is 10x better than the stock radio in every single way except for being an actual radio, reception is terrible on it but it has Pandora built in and navigation :)

I just think it's silly to hate on an aftermarket radio, it won't make the car any better to drive but it might make the drive more enjoyable, not to mention that its fairly difficult to fuck up installing a radio...

You say that, and yet my dad has owned three different vehicles in which the (aftermarket) radio buzzed in synch with the tachometer.

Mis-matched / missing parts and body panels.
DSCF1074.jpg

Any variation of "Ran when parked".
DSCF0268.jpg

Signs of abuse / negligence
DSCF6709-2.jpg

Severe accident damage
DSCF6809.jpg

Severe Rust
2005_1120Recent0038.jpg

Automatic
DSCF8298.jpg

Tasteless Modifications
DSCF6466.jpg

Daewoo
DSCF0082.jpg

Rust, lack of documentation for major maintenance, water or condensation in the headlights, and I won't buy from a smoker.

Ran when parked is a great one, somehow common. This to me either means "doesn't run" or "I can't be bothered to check."

Ran when parked is a great one, somehow common. This to me either means "doesn't run" or "I can't be bothered to check."

I found it usually means "I bought it as the same non-running automotive disaster it is now, didn't know where to start on it and gave up. Buy this POS!"

It's just I don't like the out of place look of an aftermarket radio.

This. Most aftermarket radio's are just horrid looking. Poor ergonomics, cramped buttons, tiny screens. Just no.

And the touchscreen one's? The UI's look awful.

I'll pass.