• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

AVI to DVD

Paddy

Car(s)
'06 BMW 320 M Sport
Hi guys,

Got some clips on my Camera that are in AVI and I want to burn them to convert them to burn on a DVD. Any Idea's ?

Any good free progams out there, cause the ones i've seen so far only allow like the first three minutes to be converted ? Or file sizes under 1MB ?

nero should be able to do it... thats how i burn my anime to dvd so it is viewable as a dvd

TF

Nero is too bloody slow tho !

took nearly four hours before to put the Quattro storyona discthen it didnt work!

Basically I'm looking for a pragram that will convert a Big AVI file into a Video_TS folder

bihus said:
You tried nero or Nerovision?

another vote for Nerovision - it's actually one of the faster converters I've tried, and the results seem quite good. And it's very very easy to use (though mine keeps crashing when I try and add chapters - does it on a mate's pc too)

Otherwise:
Mainconcept MPEG Enconder
TMPGEnc
WinAvi

Mainconcept and TMPEG are very good, but slower than Nero and not as user friendly. And you'll need a seperate DVD Authoring package

WinAvi I've not used, but it supposed to be quite fast.

Cosworth said:

took nearly four hours before to put the Quattro storyona discthen it didnt work!

Basically I'm looking for a pragram that will convert a Big AVI file into a Video_TS folder

it takes a good long time to make a DVD start to finish i am not sure how long since i usually jsut do it over night... but i think 4 hours is about in the ballpark

TF

That even sloooower !

Turns out Nero is VERY good when youuse it correctly :)

I converted a 1GB file to DVD which took one hour, and the Burn process was less than 10 minutes ...

The_Finn said:
Cosworth said:

it takes a good long time to make a DVD start to finish i am not sure how long since i usually jsut do it over night... but i think 4 hours is about in the ballpark

TF

true. it depends on the length of the video (obviously) - for a TG ep (60mins) Nero takes around 1hr 15min or so from go to whoa - from my experience that's quite quick given the output is good. The other options I mentioned (WinAvi aside) would take around 1hr 30 to convert the file, then you have to add the authoriing & burn time (maybe 10 - 15mins).

so based on that Nero is pretty efficient

I'd give NeroVision another vote of confidence. I captured 2 MiniDV tapes of a wedding that a friend took using Microsoft's Movie Maker (not great but it does the job), added titles and a few fades, then moved that over to NeroVision where I added a couple more fades, chapters, a title screen, and a JPEG slideshow. It was all very easy, much more so than using the free software available (I attempted this route but gave up).
I too left it overnight to author the DVD so don't know how long it took, but it did have a 'time taken' meter and I think it was around the 3 hour mark too. I told it to write that DVD to an image file on my hard disk; this allowed me to make multiple copies when I was awake again.
This was over a year ago, I'd presume it'd run even faster now (after my computer's speed bump...)