Ownership Verified: Away with the GTI, in with the red and black replacements!

Buba

Wants Rick Astley's Babies
Car(s)
BMW M235i
Hi Guys.
I only recently started to visit the forums again. My new Job, well actually new future practice, kept me quite busy.

So the GTI is history. I loved the car, and I really thought about getting a new (mk7) one or even an R. But then I'd have picked the DSG and that has only 6 gears and these days I gotta do at least 70kms a day. Also, its AWD and I wanted to do the fun thing for once.
I wanted something driver centric, fun, RWD and Power.

So, byebye:

And hello:

Its a M235i with the 8speed AT, RWD only, fully specced save the driver aids. Yeah I know, the manual might have been a bit more fun in 1 percent of the time, but keep in mind: I do mindless 70kms on normal roads with it. At 9l/100km while being a bit over the speedlimit at all times ;-) I was thinking more like 11 or 12!

The day I got it:

Proof pic (is this how its still done??):

Also, since I got a bit of spare cash (after the car its gone), I had my old Vespa restored.
Its a PX 80 built in 82, so almost as old as me and has been in our family now for 32 years. It now has new everything except the body and rims and runs a 139ccm3 Malossi. So technically its now a motorcycle!
I love the thing. I love the sound, I love the way it makes me feel like a boy ;-) The smile on the proof pic is not because I realized that my mog was in the picture...

Pic and proof:

So, tell me what you think... The BMW will get the performance Diffusor (only looks) and the Performance Exhaust System (only more sound, no real bhp gains) next week, but after that I'll leave it alone.

edit: totally forgot: I made a video with the GoPro suction thingy ;-)

Last edited:
As a single do-everything, two-personality car, the m235i is really quite difficult to beat. Sounds perfect for you.

..., it's not really any slower than the manual. :)

I think its actually faster, at least in terms of acceleration. 0-100 kph 4.8sec instead of 5.0. Dunno about the 0-200 kph, though. Supposedly its 17.xx sec.

:motherofgod:

haha, perfect selection of music on that scooter video. i love it :D

Thx, but thats all GoPro Studio ;-)

Anyway, I just finished cleaning and waxing it, so I took some more pics.

I still quite like the looks. I need more garage space, though. I'd like something old (er looking) for weekend fun. Morgan 3 wheeler??

Excellent choice of BMW! :thumbsup:

Welcome back from the VAG-Dark Side. :p

Also, love the orange Wasp. I had one once too, great for fun and falls. :lol:

I need more garage space, though. I'd like something old (er looking) for weekend fun. Morgan 3 wheeler??

Reliant Robin. :p

Congrats on your choice! I'm waiting for that very car.... Not due to arrive here for almost 3 months, though. And I applaud you getting the auto. I ordered it as well. In my opinion, it's as much fun as any dual clutch or proper manual as there could be. That transmission is just about perfect.

Last edited:
In my opinion, it's as much fun as any dual clutch or proper manual as there could be. That transmission is just about perfect.

I second that. I really liked the DSG in the GTI and thought it was a fast implementation. At least compared to the 7 speed DSG in my buddys A5 3.0 TDI. But going back and forth with the ZF8 Speed, The BMWs Autobox is way faster and weirdly it also seems more direct. Its that or the 126 horses on top fooled me ;-)
Only complaint so far: Going down, it can jump gears. Going up it can't.
So, you're taking a few tight corners and shift with the paddles, come to a straight and want to go from 4th to 8th -> every gear in between is used as well. Solution: Radio to silent, stay in the smaller gear and give it some boot ;-)

What else did you spec?

What else did you spec?
Like you, pretty much everything, except for the package with the internet apps and real time traffic info. Otherwise loaded.

I didn't get the radar cruise control and collison warning and lane assist and stuff, but the Connected Drive thing is great.
The real time traffic has already helped me out a couple of times. But off course it works best in an area where a lot of current BMWs are (all BMWs made in the last 3 years have SIM cards and act as floating traffic signals) which is right where I am. The usefullness anywhere else might be questionable ;-)

@Heathrow: I don't like falling over...

I didn't get the radar cruise control and collison warning and lane assist and stuff, but the Connected Drive thing is great.
The real time traffic has already helped me out a couple of times. But off course it works best in an area where a lot of current BMWs are (all BMWs made in the last 3 years have SIM cards and act as floating traffic signals) which is right where I am. The usefullness anywhere else might be questionable ;-)

@Heathrow: I don't like falling over...

:lol:

(You wouldn't have to drive it like Clarkson. :clarkson: )

I have no need for those apps because I live on a pretty congestion-free island. I didn't even want the driver aids, but they came in a package and it was the only way to get the Harmon Kardon stereo, which I did want.

You wouldn't have to drive it like Clarkson. :clarkson:

I just rewatched that ep with my GF! I'm in no way super experienced on anything other than a road bicycle, but I'd take :clarkson: any day ;-)

//edit: I got that wrong, but then he fell over in both things a lot. I was thinking about the Vietnam show...

I have no need for those apps because I live on a pretty congestion-free island. I didn't even want the driver aids, but they came in a package and it was the only way to get the Harmon Kardon stereo, which I did want.

I see. Over here everything can be ordered separate, but you can save a bit of money with 3 different packs. The HK Stereo is really good, I think. Its a must have on the fact alone, that the Standard and the HiFi Speakers have no Tweeter in the Mirror Triangle (directly translated from german -> the area opposite to the side mirrors)
3 months waiting seem to be long. I waited 2 months. Where is yours being built? In Leipzig, Germany?

Last edited:
I just rewatched that ep with my GF! I'm in no way super experienced on anything other than a road bicycle, but I'd take :clarkson: any day ;-)

//edit: I got that wrong, but then he fell over in both things a lot. I was thinking about the Vietnam show...

Ah, I was refering to S15E01 "Why Reliant went out of business: 1994 Reliant Robin" :clarkson:
(I'd forgotten about Vietnam Vespa, sorry about the confuse. :lol: )

Very nice. About the only BMW from their current lineup that's desirable. Good choice. :)

Away with the GTI, in with the red and black replacements!

Very nice choice! I had 2 123d Coupes, one with the automatic and one with the manual and I have to say even the old 6 speed automatic was quite enjoyable with paddle shifters. The new 8 speed must be really nice! It's certainly what I would go for if I was in Germany right now.

Well, it turns out the thing can be practical as well. I know, its no Superb or Eclass station wagon, but still:

Also, you can see at the very bottom, I modded it a bit. MPerformance Diffusor (matte black for now. Thoughts? Paint it?) and MPerformance Exhaust. It now sounds how I think it should. Not too loud, but very BMW in Sport mode. A lot of banging when you step off the pedal as well. Not F-Type levels, but still.

Gonna do a better pic and maybe a sound Video when the weather is better on the weekend ;-)

//edit: @Blackman: I Guess I'd take the Auto again if I were to buy it now. Excellent everything, but maybe a gear too much..? Dunno. Its a great thing.

Last edited:
dat plate :D

Also 'grats, sounds like an epic car

Thx guys.
As I said earlier, I wanted to do a little Vid, especially with sound from the exhaust. Today I had some time, so here we go:

In the third cut you can here wheh the second valve opens, thats when I go into sport mode. Rest is in Sport or Sport+. The scenery is in there so that it won't get too boring too quick...

Also some more pics ->

In a garage when I went for a beer yesterday:

The new exhaust tips. M badgery overflow, I know. You can supposedly hammer the original black ones back on... Dunno...

And a pic of the diffusor. Its not painted, but I coated it with some trim detailer, and now it looks ok, I think. I guess I won't paint the thing. What do you guys think?

Last edited: