Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

Been watching this regularly mostly for the sound (and smooth shifting) since I found it in a forum way back in 2012. :lol:

His lap time would be much lower with a PDK and a torquey turbo inline-4. :p

His lap time would be much lower with a PDK and a torquey turbo inline-4. :p
x4977.jpg

His phallus length also.

As much as I love the exotic sounding flat six in 981 (and 987 Cayman in the video), Redliner is right: 981-non-GT4 wouldn't see nor hear the turbo flat four 982 after few corners. And the performance difference is even bigger in real life scenarios, when you're not really going for it with the naturally aspirated six.

This doesn't mean I'm happy the flat six was replaced with turbo four. The old one was a glorious engine. :)

If speed/performance is the goal, then yes, you are correct.

However, fun is subjective, as you pointed out. For me, flat six + stick >>>>>>> turbo four (any configuration) + automatic (even the vaunted PDK).

If speed/performance is the goal, then yes, you are correct.

However, fun is subjective, as you pointed out. For me, flat six + stick >>>>>>> turbo four (any configuration) + automatic (even the vaunted PDK).

Oh yeah.

I hate the farting sound the non-manual Boxster does when changing gear.
BraaaaAAAAAAA *PRRRT* BraaaaaaaAAAAAA *PRRT*

Yeah, me too to be honest. All double clutch gearboxes and even rapidly changing torque converter autos do that. The fart is a byproduct of controlled misfire. It's needed to rapidly decrease engine torque momentarily for the duration of the shift. As shifting times get faster, they have much less time to reduce the torque (even ordinary automatics from the 90s control engine torque for smooth shifts), the misfire causes bigger *PRRT* sounds.

Whilst there is technical reason for this, I'm sure marketing departments got way overenthusiastic about these farts and demanded them to be much more audible. So yeah, I hate those repeating bangs, it's annoying when you know it's coming. Why not put a random generator to control the sounds? Farts in different tones, some more audible and some less. If only ever 20th or so absolutely full throttle upshift would cause the *BANG*, it would feel more exciting?

Reactions: lip
Spent the weekend at [video]http://rustndustjalopy.de/[/video]. While rain meant the dirt track hillclimb had to be cancelled, there was plenty of hoonage on the small dirt oval:

Last edited:
Hey, look at these little moonshine boys running their cars in the mud. Heh. Maybe they should do this officially. They need tracks for this. Do we have tracks for this? We should build tracks for this. Do we need an organization to run things? We should call it the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing.

[video=youtube;i_j5_ksDN-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_j5_ksDN-g[/video]

Junkyard turbo setup on a junkyard-spec Ford 302/5.0 pushrod motor. Obviously very relevant to my interests, but still awesome - tons of power for stupid cheap.

The F40 is turning 30 this year. Here you can listen to its father (has English subs):

[video=youtube;AlX-kgJuzxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX-kgJuzxU[/video]

Whoever edited that video needs to have their software taken away until they learn the basics.