Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

And at least he charged the batteries while saving the guy's life.

Is there one without the translator?

Ask Best Motoring for the source. ;) As they are an English magazine and Japanese are not their target audience, I doubt there is one out in the wild.

But from Musk... I don't know, this is just cheap marketing for tesla :dunno: any other reaction would've been dumb, I feel.

no reaction at all would've been the reaction of any other brand
and cheap marketing is the best, it's been all over twitter, we are talking about it, ...
an ad campaign doesn't have that much influence...

Reactions: TC
Honda S2000 prototype on a blissfully empty track:

The way this thing handles always astounds me. This is early 1999. With 1999 tyres. And the 1999 Nordschleife, which means 70s tarmac and bumpy as fuck. Compared to that, the Nordschleife today is an almost completely different track. Look how much grip it has. Look how stiff it is. This is not only absolutely fantastic for its day, this car is STILL fantastic today. Nearly two decades after this.

Also, this YT comment nails it:

Dual clutch paddle shift?
20" wheels?
Turbo/super charging?
300 km/h?
Dynamic stability control?
550 bhp?
Ceramic brakes?
Four wheel drive?
?130,000?
Rear wheel steering?
Absolutely none of the above! Just simple driving purity. Man and 'Ring as one. An object lesson in heel 'n' toe-ing. Did he ever drop below 6k? This is a most wonderful example of getting as much performance and handling out of a vehicle as possible.?

Last edited:
The way this thing handles always astounds me. This is early 1999. With 1999 tyres. And the 1999 Nordschleife, which means 70s tarmac and bumpy as fuck. Compared to that, the Nordschleife today is an almost completely different track. Look how much grip it has. Look how stiff it is. This is not only absolutely fantastic for its day, this car is STILL fantastic today. Nearly two decades after this.

Also, this YT comment nails it:

But it is "the torqueless wonder". They even had to "fix it" with a 2.2 engine for USA. :rolleyes:

That's not a manual transmission, it doesn't have a third pedal! You can command the car to shift, but it's still not a manual!

:blowup:

Meh it was a simple mistake, he probably meant to say manual mode. Later in the the video he says it's a 10 speed auto box.

Kind of automotive, definitely awesome....

Shame we don't have more of these - engine designers explaining why they did what they did in creating a new engine.

Shame we don't have more of these - engine designers explaining why they did what they did in creating a new engine.

My favorite part is they say aluminum correctly. ;)

I'm a child, I started laughing at the sign saying "W.T.F. Hassan". :lol:

I'm a child, I started laughing at the sign saying "W.T.F. Hassan". :lol:

IIRC, he did it deliberately to exploit the fact that his actual name is Walter Thomas Frederick Hassan. He reportedly was one of those guys whose sense of humor would demand it be done - so laugh away. I did. :D

Remember, we're talking about the rat bastards, rogues and absolute bandits that made Jaguar what it was - men in a shed that humiliated the big boys in lab coats over and over and over. :D

Last edited:
rat bastards, rogues and absolute bandits that made Jaguar what it was
Apparently this trait trickled down to their mechanics as well; let's just say I wouldn't have thought of covering up a broken brake light with snow to pass inspection. :whistle:

Apparently this trait trickled down to their mechanics as well; let's just say I wouldn't have thought of covering up a broken brake light with snow to pass inspection. :whistle:

No apparent about it. It did. Didn't hurt that this also characterizes, at least in part, the vast majority of the people that were *buying* the cars.

Unfortunately, the current management have lost the plot for the most part. :dunno:

But it is "the torqueless wonder". They even had to "fix it" with a 2.2 engine for USA. :rolleyes:
To be fair, the Japanese S2000 also adopted the F22C engine, just 2 years later than North America.

Oh uhm... Lamborghini has just smashed the record at the Ring - again. With the Perfomante version of the Huracan. Record was already done in october.

No turbo bullshit, not electronic ERS system, just 5.2 liters and ten cylinders punching in your face.

I can imagine the Lamborghini guys shouting (in Italian):
"FUCK your turbos!
FUCK your hybrids!
Lots of cylinders, lots of displacement. Work done!"