Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

The Zero F**ks Given RX7 guy got his own show on /Drive now.
[video=youtube;6dc5w4-ekDM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dc5w4-ekDM[/video]

Just nitpicking one thing.... at 0:55 when he talks about the trans brake, he specifically mentions "in a production car". However when he talks about using the AC to cool the intercoolers at 0:58, he uses the broad statement "no has used the AC...."

Perhaps he means in a production car, and he probably does. But if he doesn't...

Coletti?s team fit the [2003] SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque (SAE net). And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn?t enough.

Ford?s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle?s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine?s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air - resulting in a denser air charge.

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/printer_75.shtml

Sounds pretty similar in practice. The Ford system never made it to production as far as I'm aware, so the Demon is first to market, but I'd be interested to see how similar Chrysler's system is to Ford's patent from 14 years ago.

That aside, props to Chrysler. That thing really is impressive.

Last edited:
Just nitpicking one thing.... at 0:55 when he talks about the trans brake, he specifically mentions "in a production car". However when he talks about using the AC to cool the intercoolers at 0:58, he uses the broad statement "no has used the AC...."

Perhaps he means in a production car, and he probably does. But if he doesn't...

Sounds pretty similar in practice. The Ford system never made it to production as far as I'm aware, so the Demon is first to market, but I'd be interested to see how similar Chrysler's system is to Ford's patent from 14 years ago.

That aside, props to Chrysler. That thing really is impressive.

Indeed.
I am not a big fan of drag racing or this kind of car, but it sure makes me happy that Chrysler is just going "FUCK IT! We'll build it!" while most companies are going the downsized, sensible, economical sporty car. :lol:

I am not a big fan of drag racing

:( I hear this often and it's like me saying I don't like tiddlywinks. I am only a fan because I have been around for so long. I don't keep up with the pro classes, I don't even follow the NHRA at all, but on a grassroots level it's cheap and fun.

i don't care for other people drag racing either

but provide me with a track, and some sort of car, and i'm sure i'll go crazy for shaving off that last tenth

Reactions: lip
A tenth is a small chunk. Hundreths get shaved off. ;)

Suddenly I want a beach buggy...

MV5BMTc2MDc2NzYxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTIzMzY3NA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Steve always make it look cool.

Has this ever been posted?

I have. I want to stay alive.