Awesome Thread

So the power needed to get the water that high will be lower than the power gained from the water falling afterwards? Yeah... right...

Er, Ice, you missed the big fuck-off solar panels.

So the waterfall is just for show and the whole thing will end up generating LESS power than by just using the solar panels. Wahay, at least it looks pretty!

The self-sustaining tower for the 2016 Olympic Games is designed to create renewable energy for use in the Olympic Village as well as the city of Rio. A large solar power plant generates energy during the day. Any excess power not used during the day is utilized to pump seawater into a storage tank within the tower. At night, the water is released to power turbines, which will provide nighttime power for the city. On special occasions water is pumped out to create a waterfall over the edges of the building, which RAFAA says will be, ?a symbol for the forces of nature.? Info on the size of the solar and pumped water storage system is not available yet.

^i.e. It's going to break down in no time and become a very large eye sore and an inconvenience for the residents of Rio De Janeiro who never wanted the damn olympics in their city in the first place. Awesome.

^i.e. It's going to break down in no time and become a very large eye sore and an inconvenience for the residents of Rio De Janeiro who never wanted the damn olympics in their city in the first place. Awesome.

A. I hope not
B. You may be right, but if you knew Rio, you'd know that argument is 100% irrelevant.

That's really cool!

And no, no jokes. :p

damn you ice, just saw that and was about to post it. *shakes fist* really good though, took me ages to figure it out the other image.

So the waterfall is just for show and the whole thing will end up generating LESS power than by just using the solar panels. Wahay, at least it looks pretty!

I think it's neat. You can't store power easily, if there's excess - it's wasted.

Although it would look less pretty if you only turn the waterfall on at night ;)

Last edited:
Well yeah, it's neat and pretty, but if the main purpose of it is to conserve energy, then make something else more efficient. If the main purpose of it was just to be awesome, like the Burj Dubai or that hotel that looks like a sail and rotates with the wind, then fine.

So the power needed to get the water that high will be lower than the power gained from the water falling afterwards? Yeah... right...

Doesn't matter at all. The Olympics are all show, they spend unimaginable amounts of money to set up green and environmentally-friendly displays which in actual fact are anything but green.

For the 2010 games the provincial government here spent hundreds of millions on fuel cell buses for Whistler. Doesn't sound that bad, right? It seems like a pretty asinine idea though once you learn that the hydrogen had to be trucked in thousands of kilometers from Ontario, on traditional gas-guzzling tankers!

And to add insult to injury all those fancy fuel cell buses were either sold for peanuts or are sitting in some warehouse rotting away. I guess it doesn't matter, all that matters is Whistler appeared green during the two weeks the shitfest was in town.

Hopefully with the poverty issues down in Rio more people will be made aware of what a monumental waste the Olympics are.

american_challenge_jet_hydroplane_russ_wicks.jpg

american_challenge_water_speed_record_jet_hydrofoil_boat.jpg

Last edited:
I predict its demise at the hand of the Sea Shepherds by the start of 2012.

I'l just leave this here.....

32532_10150198197120377_212641675376_12334504_4589208_n_large.jpg

That's Velma, doofus! Daphne was just a plastic. Velma's the one who the smart guys always wanted! And she's never looked hotter!

That's Velma, doofus! Daphne was just a plastic. Velma's the one who the smart guys always wanted! And she's never looked hotter!

bugger it i meant Velma! *smacks head on the keyboard* going to have to get out my doofus hat now... don't know where my mind was when i made that post.