Awesome Thread

We got it, most of us did not find it funny. :p

Now I feel stupid, 'cause I didn't get it :(

RdKetchup;n3549803 said:
Now I feel stupid, 'cause I didn't get it :(

Google "The Machinist".
It's a movie with Christian Bale, and to play the role, he underwent a massive weight loss.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"455","width":"808","src":"http:\/\/beta.ems.ladbiblegroup.com\/s3\/content\/808x455\/59e052f25a4f9808353306a979a700a4.png"}[/IMG2]

This is Simone Giertz, she had brain surgery a year ago. She used the scans of her brain to create a paper shredder to shred her hopes and dreams.

Last edited:
Not been much awesomeness of late but here's one.
f8e7b3eefe3dc2e7566247f2218c079f.jpg

quick summary in English:

German granny grows a plant on the balcony of her care home room. Doesn’t know what the plant is nor does she remember where the seeds came from. Turns out that it’s a cannabis plant.

“Attentive“ care home worker notices what it is and is square enough to actually call the cops who tell granny what tewwibble, tewwibble things she’s been growing and confiscate the plant she adored.

It’s in this thread because granny is AWESOME. I can’t stand the stench of weed, but yes, she’s got a point about the look of the plant.

Long time no awesome here, so let me tell you about some awesome political and engineering feat.

Background: Here in the Ruhr Area in Germany, former industrial powerhouse (coal mines, steel works, etc.) and metropolitan area with 10 million inhabitants, we have a relatively small river called Emscher crossing it from east to west. Since the beginning of the industrial revolution here, it has been canalized and used as an open waste-water canal. Which is obviously not the awesome thing.
Well, about 30 years ago, the renaturalization project started. And while the river has not been completely returned to its former natural river bed ( or well, one that's similar, natural-looking and more resilient against floods), as of this week the Emscher is, over its whole length, free from uncleaned waste-water for the first time since the 19th century, as now there is sewage treatments and a separate underground waste-water canal system everywhere. The last bit went operational just as 2021 ended.
It took 30 years and over € 5 billion, but that really was worth it. Looking at old pictures and then new ones, this project is an awesome display of engineering done right to create a better environment for the benefit of both the humans living there as well as for nature itself. The part about the river being biologically dead in the Wikipedia article I linked is luckily outdated.

Last edited:
Long time no awesome here, so let me tell you about some awesome political and engineering feat.

Background: Here in the Ruhr Area in Germany, former industrial powerhouse (coal mines, steel works, etc.) and metropolitan area with 10 million inhabitants, we have a relatively small river called Emscher crossing it from east to west. Since the beginning of the industrial revolution here, it has been canalized and used as an open waste-water canal. Which is obviously not the awesome thing.
Well, about 30 years ago, the renaturalization project started. And while the river has not been completely returned to its former natural river bed ( or well, one that's similar, natural-looking and more resilient against floods), as of this week the Emscher is, over its whole length, free from uncleaned waste-water for the first time since the 19th century, as now there is sewage treatments and a separate underground waste-water canal system everywhere. The last bit went operational just as 2021 ended.
It took 30 years and over € 5 billion, but that really was worth it. Looking at old pictures and then new ones, this project is an awesome display of engineering done right to create a better environment for the benefit of both the humans living there as well as for nature itself. The part about the river being biologically dead in the Wikipedia article I linked is luckily outdated.

This is all well and good, but at some point, isn't sewage just soil at this point? I can't imagine you're digging turds out of a riverbed from 19th century humans.

or puke from a group of friends binging.

This is all well and good, but at some point, isn't sewage just soil at this point?

That river had been used as an open sewer since the start of the industrialisation of the Ruhr area. Its mouth was relocated twice, its bed made of concrete, its banks dammed so it wouldn’t overflow quite so easily and, since the 1990s, all of its water sent through a treatment plant before it reached the Rhine.

One main reason was the sinking of the terrain due to the old underground coal mines, up to 40 metres in some spots AFAIK. That made it impossible to put an underground sewer next to the river. But now that the mines have been closed for a while, the terrain has “calmed down“ enough for a massive sewage system to be built and maintained.

I can't imagine you're digging turds out of a riverbed from 19th century humans.

Chicago’s bubbly creek would beg to differ.

That river had been used as an open sewer since the start of the industrialisation of the Ruhr area. Its mouth was relocated twice, its bed made of concrete, its banks dammed so it wouldn’t overflow quite so easily and, since the 1990s, all of its water sent through a treatment plant before it reached the Rhine.

One main reason was the sinking of the terrain due to the old underground coal mines, up to 40 metres in some spots AFAIK. That made it impossible to put an underground sewer next to the river. But now that the mines have been closed for a while, the terrain has “calmed down“ enough for a massive sewage system to be built and maintained.

Chicago’s bubbly creek would beg to differ.

bubbleh. I can't really say if it's good shit or not.