Aye Mateys, ISP's to crack down on piracy

Use a non US based VPN, it costs a few bucks a month, but it'll get around this easily.

This. I had to PIRATE MUSIC I PAID FOR because of that. Fuck you itunes.

Been there, done that too many times already. It's mine...lemme listen to it, dammit!

Movies are the one thing I still buy.

I have amassed a huge collection of DVD's and old VHS over the years. I have thousands of the things.
If you make something I want...and you make it available... I will buy it from you. And remember this last bit for later...

Question is how will they determin whats illeagle? .

And you my friend, have hit the nail on the head. What is illegal, and what isn't?

Here's my story: I do download lots of stuff. Stuff I can't LEGALLY get anywhere. BBC..I'm looking at you. :mad:

And again, while I do lots of downloading, I don't Pirate stuff. And there IS a difference. At least here in Ohio. :p

Downloading for your own personal use (other than software, which is a whole nother bag) is not exactly legal, but it's not illegal.
Pirating
means to obtain the possession of something that is copyrighted with the purpose of selling or for personal gain.

And I agree completely with the media that anyone who is pirating should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

But to the people who say that if I download something, like a new movie, then I'm stealing, I have a question. Lets say the movie came out on DVD and I bought it, then lent it to you to watch. Are you stealing from the movie company? You haven't paid to watch it. Doesn't matter that I did, you didn't.

And lets say that in a year or so, a channel that's available with just an antenna (And OTA HD is the best) shows it on TV, and you record it to your DVD recorder. Or onto an old VHS tape you had. You are now watching the movie without paying for it.

Or borrowing a CD from a friend. Borrowing a book? I could go on and on but you get my idea.

What's the difference? And btw, I never download a movie that I don't go to see in the theater first, and I always buy it on DVD when it comes out. (With one exception...it was a really crap movie) So in my case, how is the media company losing money?

So, yes, I download the crap out of stuff. But I don't go selling it like an idiot. I have no problem at all with these companies making money off of what they make. Lets face it, if they didn't make a profit off it, they wouldn't do it. And neither would I.

But look at all the Top Gear and in my case, older Doctor Who stuff that just isn't available here in the States to buy. So even if I wanted to buy it on DVD...I just can't.

BBC has gotten better with only delaying new episodes of Top Gear and most of the new Doctor Who for a week or so, and I can live with that. even though it's really edited to crap and back.

And look at all the stuff that the TG guys produce in addition to all the other stuff that BBC makes, and then releases it on DVD...but in PAL only! WTH!?

Unless you get a region free DVD player, which can still end up not playing the odd disc here and there, and which are still hard to come by locally. (and then not be able to return the DVD cause you already opened it!)

Look media dudes, and pay close attention: We obviously want this stuff, and to be honest, with the PC's, 'media' boxes, and other assorted crap and the services associated with them we get...we're showing that we will spend time and money to get it. Just let us buy the crap and be able to use it! That's all we want.

"If you make it...they will buy.." :D

But to the people who say that if I download something, like a new movie, then I'm stealing, I have a question. Lets say the movie came out on DVD and I bought it, then lent it to you to watch. Are you stealing from the movie company? You haven't paid to watch it. Doesn't matter that I did, you didn't.
There are two things. For one you pay for the DVD so the MPAA is making some money. For two you cannot possibly lend it to as many people in person as you could over p2p so the possible loss of revenue is quite a bit less.

Having said that there has been a push in all of entertainment industry (with games being much closer than anyone else) to put safeguards in place that would not allow you something like that. There is even a law in TN that basically makes it illegal for you to share a NFLX password with someone else...

And lets say that in a year or so, a channel that's available with just an antenna (And OTA HD is the best) shows it on TV, and you record it to your DVD recorder. Or onto an old VHS tape you had. You are now watching the movie without paying for it.
TV channels have to pay for the movie. When VCR's first came out MPAA tried to block their sales on the grounds of people taping a movie from TV and watching it for free as many times as they wanted to.
So, yes, I download the crap out of stuff.
They are not necessarily concerned about downloads they are more concerned about uploads. They generally go after people who UL a bunch of stuff (in BT you UL at the same time as DL) since then you are distributing copyrighted material.