Bachmann: Let's get rid of the Department of Education

D

D-Fence

Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education?
hornickewhitehouse2 By: CNN's Ed Hornick

(CNN) - Painting herself as a "constitutional conservative" Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann told Sen. Jim DeMint's forum Monday that if elected president she would look to get rid of the Department of Education, among other things.

"Because the Constitution does not specifically enumerate nor does it give to the federal government the role and duty to superintend over education that historically has been held by the parents and by local communities and by state governments," she said, responding to a question by DeMint, a popular figure among the tea party movement.

Another item on the chopping block: The Affordable Care Act.

People "see that the current government is acting outside the bounds of the Constitution. Probably the most obvious would be this, Obamacare and the individual mandate that is unconstitutional and is currently contained in Obamacare," she said.

Throughout the question and answer, Bachmann highlighted her understanding of the Constitution and the need to return to a limited federal government.

"And when I'm working with the Congress of the United States, my guiding principle will be that the government works best when it acts within the limitations of the Constitution," she said. "The current president of the United States has failed to demonstrate an understanding."

When asked about her jobs program, Bachmann pointed to her past as a tax litigation attorney and small business owner.

"(I) believe in profit and actually believe profit is a good thing and that we should encourage that in this country," she said. Bachmann called for a restructuring of tax rates for businesses ? highlighting her experience in that area.

When asked if she would try and overturn Roe v. Wade, which gives women the right to an abortion, Bachmann said she would put forth a human life amendment and do everything in her power to restrict abortions.

I can't even comment on this, I am still out of breath from laughing so hard.

https://pic.armedcats.net/d/d-/d-fence/2011/09/06/1252168208570.jpg

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...is-there-a-department-of-education/?hpt=hp_t1

I think people like her being allowed to live makes a good case for allowing abortions.

I think people like her being allowed to live makes a good case for allowing abortions.

Seconded. Getting rid of the dept. of education is pretty stupid IMO. There's a reason why it exists.

"(I) believe in profit and actually believe profit is a good thing and that we should encourage that in this country," she said. Bachmann called for a restructuring of tax rates for businesses ? highlighting her experience in that area.

Right, because just saying something should happen means that you can surely get it done.

The irony is that a bureaucracy would have to be created in order to eliminate a bureaucracy.

This group of republicans is the strangest group ever. Maybe the tacit is to get them make Sarah Palin look almost normal. Either way I weep for the USA.

Tories over here are trying to bin School control too - 'Free' Schools, the latest in a long list of different sorts of English schools that are sort of replacements for Secondary Modern/Grammar Schools which have mostly been binned since the 1980s.

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/43596

Acadamies

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9233716.Council_counts_cost_of_new_academies/

Comprehensives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_school

City Technology College

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Technology_College

What a mess.

Last edited:
Getting rid of government controlled education system may work in some other country, but definitely not in the US. Parents here don't seem to have a good grasp of what is appropriate or educational.

"Right son, let's watch some football, drink some beers, then go out four-wheeling, and shooting shit...even though you are 12-years-old." (Mind you, that is the West Virginia stereotype, and I'm sad to report it is based on reality)

She's saying get rid of it on the federal level. Basically, let the States take care of it themselves. It's not the worst idea ever. It's a small department and i'm not entirely sure they even do anything.

She's saying get rid of it on the federal level. Basically, let the States take care of it themselves. It's not the worst idea ever. It's a small department and i'm not entirely sure they even do anything.

Even when state education is under federal control they can't get their shit together. Education is absolutely defunct in the US, and I firmly believe that is because those in control fail to 1) accept that our system is crap, 2) listen to actual teachers as to what's wrong, and 3) look towards Europe for how it needs to be done.

Oh, and back on topic, Bachmann's an idiot.

She's saying get rid of it on the federal level. Basically, let the States take care of it themselves.
Please come to Germany to see how a non-federal, but state-run school system is a recipe for constant bickering and general failure. And we have only 16 states, not 50.

Maybe there should be a vote for what Americans would prefer: People like Bachmann as part of their ruling body or the Yellowstone vulcan breaking out?

I could see that not going so well. It's already a problem when a Texas school board has the ability to pretty much influence most school textbook's content due to their student size: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

That and we all can imagine what things some states would decide to let school districts factually tweak to meet most of their constituents ideology's. The whole Dover PA School Board controversy comes to mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District

It shoud be noted that the Dept. of Education also handles federal student aid. With the way PA's crazy tea party esque. Governor wanted to cut state higher ed. by 50% across the board regardless of the school's individual situation. I could see his administration handling all of the financial aid for the state, very well...not.

There needs to be (stronger imo) federal influence.

Last edited:
But some of the federal influence has not been good. Right now most schools are teaching to the standardize tests, so students only get the information that will be on that test. That is not educating people, that is a bureaucratic mentality and leaves huge gaps in knowledge that the students are steered away from.

But some of the federal influence has not been good. Right now most schools are teaching to the standardize tests, so students only get the information that will be on that test. That is not educating people, that is a bureaucratic mentality and leaves huge gaps in knowledge that the students are steered away from.

Even worse than teaching to a standardized test, though, is that states get to choose their own standards and skew their own statistics. There are no national standards. An example of how a lack of federal intervention is bad.

We all agree that the state of education in the US is pretty shitty. The fact remains that the department of education is still useless. So what are some solutions?

Pretty much everything in this quote can be attributed to four words: "No Child Left Behind". Luckily, it looks like we've learned that's how not to run a country's educational system.

I could see that not going so well. It's already a problem when a Texas school board has the ability to pretty much influence most school textbook's content due to their student size: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html
Yeah, this is the first thing I thought of when Firecat brought up how state control might not be so bad.

You want to make all the children in the southern states dumber than they already are? Let them control their education.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything in this quote can be attributed to four words: "No Child Left Behind". Luckily, it looks like we've learned that's how not to run a country's educational system.

Yep, exactly. Standardized testing is an important way to measure just how well a school is doing, but it shouldn't be the be all and end all solution. The fact that schools can be negatively impacted by Special Education students test results is also a issue: I'm pretty damn sure that I wasn't testing at my grade level in math yet I was way above it in reading and language arts.