Bad cars you have a soft spot for?

The Holden Camira.

Widely regarded in Aus as one the biggest lemons on the road in its time. My first car was a Camira and I liked it alot.

The Holden Camira.

Widely regarded in Aus as one the biggest lemons on the road in its time. My first car was a Camira and I liked it alot.

That is a great example for this thread. What a horrid rust bucket. To think, they replaced the Torana with it :?

Fortunatly, mine wasn't the dreaded JB. Mine was the last of the line JE, but by then the damage caused by the JB was already done and its name was dirt.

BMC-13-Austin-Allegro-1973.jpg

Allegro!

Yup, with its overweight bloated looks, fake wood dashboard, hydragas suspension and if you jack it up in the wrong place the rear window will fall out!:lol:
I'd love one.

Reliant%20Robin%202.JPG

Reliant Robin!

I came very close to buying a Rialto for ?300 a few years ago. I think it'd be rather amusing to have one, there aren't any fast road streches around here anyway.

Cars that I myself wouldn't class as bad but other would include the Morris Minor, BMC Cambridge/Oxford and the ADO16 models, Ford Anglias, the Volvo 100 and 200 series, most BL products and pretty much any old tat built before 1980.

Oh, I also have a fondness for old Russian cars like the GAZ Volga M-21 and the Lada, not to mention the German efforts with the Trabant and Wartburg.

The Datsun 120Y.

120Y_finland-1.jpg

It all stemmed from an argument I had with my friend Tom one afternoon. He's a big muscle car fan and was singing the praises of the Pontiac GTO, which was far too brash for my liking. When he asked what I thought would be a better car I just said the first one I could think of: the 120Y. It started off a year-long running joke in which I would desperately try and find some statistic in which the humble Datsun outdid the mighty Pontiac (I think I eventually got him on fuel economy.)

From some angles, the sedan version at least, it does look deceptively sporty.

Last edited:
Range Rover County

alanbates-5.jpg

And SI Discos.

Land-Rover-Discovery_SI_maroon_front_q_1446x945.jpg

I love them. They're great 4x4s, but as we all know, the character that they're so lovingly endeared with also happens to be their Achilles' heel. If you ignore how often and expensively they break, how some common problems have no solution and that they get awful fuel economy yet don't have much power, then it's a fantastic vehicle! :D

:wub:

steering wheel way too far

Unfortunatly, there was a metal-beam below your legs on which you could move the seat forwards and backwards. ;) To be honest, and I'm not lying, the Vectra B was just a huge makeover of the Vectra A (Cavalier Mk3), same Floorpan and carossery componments, (GM2900 platform or so, same as SAAB 9-5 and 9-3) so it wasn't an entirely new developped car like the Mondeo Mk1 or Passat 3B. And for that fact it was a lot of Car for a tiny amount of money. The Seats where lifted straight from the Astra, thats why you think it was uncomfortable. But you could fit Omega seats as well easely in it, which are alot more comfy. (escpelly CD Reflection ones, those Shadow-grey velour are very soft indeed)

Also you could had ordered Automatic Aircon for the Facelift ones, and Memory seats (just like you get in the Omega MV6), the list of extras was long for the Vectra, it could be as spartanic as an Astra or as Luxurious as an Omega. Your choice. ;)

87 Alfa Spider
81 FIAT X1/9

Both pretty and fun to drive but required to much time and money to keep them running.

Same here. Right now I'm trying to decided whether or not to buy a 95 Niva thats for sale near me.

DO IT!!!

Probably one of the most fun car's I've owned.
I would have loved to keep that thing but I just didn't have the time to work on it at the time.

For me it's the Mitsubishi Starion/Conqest. They were rubbish, mainly the engine. But they were RWD and just look at them. All you need is an engine swap to make it a good car. The seats kind of sucked too.

1987_mitsubishi_starion-pic-207789319452120786.jpeg

Boo! What's rubbish about the engine? They (Both the 2.6 and the 2.0 4G63) were pretty powerful in their time I thought? 170hp 1200kg and could get over 200kmph.

1987 Alfa 33 1.7
33_park5.jpg

A tiny 900kg car with a 1.7 boxer engine with extractors and webber carbs and a sunroof. I was 17 it made the right noises and I loved it.

Last edited:
I have a lot of odd cars i'd love to at least get to test drive, or own for a while at least.
I got a Buick Century afterall, and i've owned a V6 Mustang II before :p

now cars i could almost feel guilty of liking :p
Buick Reatta, it even had a digital touchscreen dashboard which never worked properly, it's awesome!
Buick_Reatta_Red_Coupe.JPG

Talbot Rancho, a FWD "SUV" it's so stupid it's awesome XD
Rancho.jpg

even this, Renault Fuego Turbo, it even came with remote central locking! :p
red3.jpg

Boo! What's rubbish about the engine? They (Both the 2.6 and the 2.0 4G63) were pretty powerful in their time I thought? 170hp 1200kg and could get over 200kmph.

I certainly wouldn't argue about the 2.0L 4G63. I think it's a great engine. But the 2.6L isn't a great engine. It was riddled with issues. It wasn't at all reliable. Also, 170 HP out of a 2.6L, that's not impressive. In 1989 Chrysler has it's 2.2L which was out performing the 2.6L and cars it was in like the Daytona were faster than the Starion. Plus, the 2.2L was is pretty bullet proof. Most fast Starions I've seen have a an engine swap, usually a 4G63.