Badly engineered products

idk

Car(s)
Hyundai i30N Performance
Hey guys and girls, I'd like to know, what comes to your mind when you think of badly engineered products/stuff?

I do not mean "useless" products (like some weird japanese stuff), but products that can't be used in the way they are intended for because of some less or more stupid flaws.

We were asked that today at university. Spontaneously, I and many others didn't remember much, although I know there have been many times when I said to myself... why the hell did somebody design it that way?

I have just one example. In the onboard repair set of my car, there is a lifting jack. But its handle is that close to the ground, that you barely can crank it without knocking your knuckles into the pavement every single revolution... Who the fuck thought of that???

If you can think of something, please let me know and maybe show a picture, if available, where we can see the problem.

Last edited:
And 17 pages from Spectre in 3.........2........1.......

I'm waiting.... for something more helpful than this

Thisisbroken.com - loaded with examples of bad design (not meant to criticise your thread, I'm just intrigued by this sort of stuff)

Stuff I notice here:

A tv that doesn't remember your last input setting. As a result, turning everything on is a 3 step affair.

I'm sure I'll come up with more :lol:

Reactions: idk
OK here's one.

Gas hobs usually have 4 rings. One really small one, one large one for woks and frying pans and two standard sized ones. All the time I see the two standard ones at the back and large and small at the front. Since the small one is best for things that need to be on gentle simmer why not put that behind the big one instead of adjacent to it? If I'm cooking something on the large ring and need to bring a sauce to the boil I want the mid sized ring near the front while my vegetables or whatever simmer at the back, not to be reaching to the back to stir my sauce as it comes through the boil.

Poor design and such a simple thing to get right.

I used to have a PSP speaker dock a bit like the one below. The speakers slid out from the middle, revealing a headphone jack thing would fold out and the PSP would plug onto it when you wanted to use it, so it stored away more compactly. But due to the design, the speakers wouldn't slide far enough so the jack only folded out to about 75 degrees instead of the 90 degrees needed for the PSP to plug into it properly, if you see what I mean. It only cost about ?7 (you get what you pay for) but because it was in the clearance sale I couldn't return it. <_<
unbranded-psp-slim-and-lite-speaker-dock--black.jpg

@MWF
I guess, there is one guy, that had always had his wive cook his meals, who designed the first one. And since then, that concept has always been copied without any improvements :p But yah, you're right. Now as you say it, I've noticed that before.

Cupholders that don't extend far enough AND block the radio.

Not cool Ford, not cool.

On that topic, cupholders designed in such a way that they grip the cans so strongly it actualy dents them.

Windows 6.5 Mobile. I had to use that OS in a phone for work and I have never been more frustrated with a phone before. Every little nuance for use that people have been used to in Android and iOS was ignored, which made using it a nuisance.

The center console on the 07 Subaru WRX: the auxiliary input for the stereo and the power outlet are in the way of the shifter if you put anything in them.

This is my (older car's) engine bay:

pp_07rx8_g10_engine.jpg

Now, all jokes aside, checking oil is somewhat crucial. Where is the dipstick you ask? First, the cover needs to come off:

If you can see my arrow, the dipstick is under the engine cover, behind the engine and almost underneath it, between the block and a metal bar that gets nice and hot after running for a bit. Luckily it is a problem resolved by the new model:

IMG_3240%20renesis%20copy.jpg

Dipstick is under the latch in the cover.

I once saw a ride-on lawn mover where the brake was essentially a steel spike gripping on to the rubber tires.

If you can see my arrow, the dipstick is under the engine cover, behind the engine and almost underneath it, between the block and a metal bar that gets nice and hot after running for a bit.

The dip stick is located between the rotors. It only looks like it is behind the engine because Mazda shoved the engine so far back.

A badly engineered product? Gran Turismo 5

/thread

I once saw a ride-on lawn mover where the brake was essentially a steel spike gripping on to the rubber tires.

Then there's the kind on small tractors and vehicles where you set the throttle with a lever, then release the 'brake' and the things goes to the set speed, no gaspedal needed, throttle is either on full or of......very practical!

(for running someone over)

The dip stick is located between the rotors. It only looks like it is behind the engine because Mazda shoved the engine so far back.

Yes, upon reflection, you're absolutely right and half the engine is under the dashboard. But it's still far to difficult to reach.

Serious note: there was a feature on 5th gear once about the current (or last gen?) Renault Megane where you can only change a low beam light bulb by turning the front wheels to one side and basically breaking your arm in a service hatch in the wheel well.

Last edited:
This is my (older car's) engine bay:

Now, all jokes aside, checking oil is somewhat crucial. Where is the dipstick you ask? First, the cover needs to come off:

If you can see my arrow, the dipstick is under the engine cover, behind the engine and almost underneath it, between the block and a metal bar that gets nice and hot after running for a bit. Luckily it is a problem resolved by the new model:

Dipstick is under the latch in the cover.

Yah I guess thats really stupid. Cause if you put out the dipstick from somewhere behind the engine and so on... the oil probably will smear on the dipstick and you can't even get a good result after all the fuzz.

Thx alot @ all for these contributions :)

I just remember, @ work, we had a water boiler with a really cool modern design. The drawback was, that it somehow was impossible to pour water into a cup or so, because of the geometry the water just spilled over the outer surface of the device... and dripped to the table/floor, unless one poured holding the boiler in a really steep angle. But that was only the case, when there was only about 1/4 of the volume left.
Mh, it is hard to explain for me in English. I hope you can get what I want to say.

Last edited: