Baking!

.... And it was epic. One of the best of thse I've ever tasted.

IMG-20131220-WA0000.jpg

Gratuitous pic of the insides.

I shall try and make it this weekend. :thumbsup:

That definitively does not look like a custard tart, like I thought it would do based on your description from a couple of days ago.

I've been to .nl so many times, but never had vlaai. I need to investigate the next time I go. :)

I've been to .nl so many times, but never had vlaai. I need to investigate the next time I go. :)

happy indigestion, there are a quadzillion variants on vlaai
and they're all great!

this one is my favourite
0425131759394590_bresilienne_10x10_72dpikopie.png

but i'll never pass on one with cherries!
gr_openkers(1).jpg

Last edited:
Apologies for the United Statesian measurements and the lack of pictures, but here's a recipe for banana bread that always turns out well. It's nice and dense and moist.

Banana bread

1 cup sugar
? cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 ? cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup banana (2 bananas), mashed
? cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
? cup walnuts, chopped, optional

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat together. Sift dry ingredients together in separate bowl, then combine with butter mixture. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla, blend. Add chopped nuts. Pour into well-buttered loaf pan, bake at 350? for approximately 1 hour.

Variation: Add 2 cups blueberries, pour into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

:thumbsup:

How do you like it?

Where's the Crisco? Ha! My family's recipe has Crisco in it, and I gotta say...it tastes damn good while it destroys you from the inside.

I'm trying my hand at simple sourdough, but it trends towards the bland side. More time needed, perhaps

I'm trying my hand at simple sourdough, but it trends towards the bland side. More time needed, perhaps

Flavour is developed in bread when you leave it to rest or rise. If you use cold water rather than warm water for the dough then it will take longer to rise, but more flavour will be developed.

i was bored, so i made muffins, beautiful raspberry muffins :drool:
OI000002.jpg

... with a generous sprinkling of almonds on top!

Wow, looks good.

Have some Madeleines. :)

Wow, looks good.

Have some Madeleines. :)

Oh yum! I love Madeleines - I really need to learn how to make those. (Damn you Proust!)

Last year, I finally mastered cookies (I know, I'm slow...)

These were the batch of ninjabread cookies that I made and transported halfway around the world to share with my relatives. :)

EuZgPj8.jpg

One of the contestants on BBC MasterChef made an unuusal Tarte Tatin, with figs and raspbrries. They said the flavour combo works.

Oh yum! I love Madeleines - I really need to learn how to make those. (Damn you Proust!)

Last year, I finally mastered cookies (I know, I'm slow...)

These were the batch of ninjabread cookies that I made and transported halfway around the world to share with my relatives. :)

EuZgPj8.jpg

:lol:
That's awesome!

Interesting...

Madeleines for the lazy
LN_612142_BP_11.jpg

:p