Balkan 2020 Roadtrip - Pre-Ringmeet

If it wasn't already clear, I won't be joining this year and I'll see you all at VS. Getting enough time off work for these long trips requires buying extra days at full price, the money for that and the roadtrip itself have been redirected elsewhere this year. All will become clear in time. I'll be on the next Balkan trip, enjoy yourselves. :D

UPDATE

accommodations for days 1 and 2 are pretty much sorted, we will all probably be staying at one place, it's currently under construction, but I'm being assured it will be done before Easzer, so that's good.
The place will have an option of breakfast, lunch and dinner, but we will make that decision when we settle on plans for those days and the final number of people.

Moving on to other days, everyone is encouraged to check out the maps and browse through the accommodation websites for places to stay.

I will most likely only attend for the first 3 days, so my role in most if this is as consultant and helin finding and sorting stuff out.
Resident Slavs joining the trip are encouraged to participate in organising.

It's another Discovery, isn't it?

Would I do that to myself again when there are so many new and interesting alternatives out there? Would I rather get something I've told myself in the past that I would never buy? Heh. I do actually need to buy a house at some point in the next decade but there's time for more shenanigans first.

He's going to have to change his signature pic...

90% done already. :D

Now I won't post any more off-topic stuff.

Since he didn't swear me to secrecy I'm going to let the cat out of the bag.

Matt2000 has fallen for some virtuous, hippie girl at his office and is buying a Prius.

He plans to fuck her on the bonnet (hood) of the car.

Virgin on the ridiculous.

Balkan 2.0 road trip planned for pre-ringmeet shenanigans. Working titles: Hindsight 2020, FUCK 'EM, and We Have a Roadtrip?

When: Offically Monday 27 July. I was instructed to arrive a day early. Starting city is Zabjak, Croatia. Closest airport is Zagreb (ZAG)

Planning to finish Wednesday and drive from Ulm to Viktoria Station Thursday.

More details in the Google Doc though accommodation suggestions haven't been listed yet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...21d03pj7GRFX2Oiq_ub2VB7Xi84/edit?usp=drivesdk

I am not the planner, just trying to move things from Telegram to the forums to make it easier to find information. Though, I am planning to go, flight is booked, vacation time blocked out.

Questions? Direct them to @nicjasno @IceBone @47 and I think @DaBoom

Accommodations tab has been added.

@93Flareside and me have dug up a few accomodation possibilities. Dear participants, please have a look at the sheet and fill in yourself as interested in the appropiate fields if applicable. We need some numbers to get on with actual booking. :)

Doesn't matter if the accommodation is further out of town. Just fill cars with passengers and take the minimum number of vehicles necessary to acquire sustenance.

Whew, what a year this week has been, eh?

I haven't booked anything and assume that doing so now is probably a bad idea. In the next few weeks, I will book what people are interested in with the hotels I suggested with whomever is currently on the confirmed side. Say something if that's not feasible. Since July/August is still some distance away, the hope is the show still goes on despite the circumstances.

I haven't booked anything and assume that doing so now is probably a bad idea. In the next few weeks, I will book what people are interested in with the hotels I suggested with whomever is currently on the confirmed side. Say something if that's not feasible. Since July/August is still some distance away, the hope is the show still goes on despite the circumstances.
I'm not feeling very optimistic at the moment

I'm not feeling very optimistic at the moment

Truthfully, I'm not either, but I don't want to think doom and gloom right now so far into the future.

This is one of the best summaries of recent events that I've read. :D

With respect to our trip, I'm not totally pessimistic. It is still 4.5 months away and tourism is such a major factor in our destination countries that they will be very willing to reopen for summer. That said, I guess that the travel situation may stay highly volatile for a time. Especially for our fly-in guests from other continents (@Misrabelle and you, @93Flareside) I am really not sure how feasible travelling to Europe will be in July/August (mandatory quarantines?).
In addition to that, the trip as planned includes eight border crossings, not counting getting to the start point in the first place, with only three of them within the Schengen area (but that may not make a difference anyway). Even if the situation improves, and I believe it will, because of the high dynamic of the situation I see the possibility of borders being closed on short notice.

But another very sad aspect is, with the economy going down the toilet, some of us might be in financial hardship due to unemployment or lack of orders that we did not see coming only a short time ago and thus unable to make it. :(

Did I say I'm not totally pessimistic? Yes, the paragraphs above sound really pessimistic. But I wanted to get the worst scenarios on the table.

If the trip is possible by then, I'm willing to go through with it (and as a sidenote: I'm leaning towards taking the car).
But I'm very unsure about booking anything right now, especially the large accomodations which are very cheap per person if we are enough, but wouldn't make sense if half the group cancels. When booking something, we should make damn sure it's cancelable without cost.

I totally understand that right now no one can commit to anything, I can't neither. Given the dynamic of the situation, it will hopefully look a lot better once Europe, Australia and the US are over the initial phase of the pandemic in a few weeks, when the initial unchecked infections are over.

Trip has now been postponed until 2021 due to some pesky virus thing.

To wit, several participants have decided not to come due to the world being fucked up, and even if others are willing to go, it would be unfair to go on a trip without the people having invested so much time in planning it.
So I'm also backing out.

I may take a few days worth of a trip somewhere in Germany before Ringmeet instead, if that's still on the table. Planning will be on fairly short notice.

At least we have already done some research into routes and accomodations, which will hopefully still be there next year or whenever.

To wit, several participants have decided not to come due to the world being fucked up, and even if others are willing to go, it would be unfair to go on a trip without the people having invested so much time in planning it.
So I'm also backing out.

I may take a few days worth of a trip somewhere in Germany before Ringmeet instead, if that's still on the table. Planning will be on fairly short notice.

At least we have already done some research into routes and accomodations, which will hopefully still be there next year or whenever.

I had similar plans as well. Unfortunately my aim is towards all the current hot spots, but we'll see. I'll travel by land anyway, so specific destination doesn't matter all that much.

Considering the postponement of this trip to next year (fingers crossed), @leviathan and I are planning a short trip through some German Mittelgebirge before Ringmeet. If anyone else is interested, please say so, then I will make a dedicated thread for it and give access to the planning sheet.

Considering the postponement of this trip to next year (fingers crossed), @leviathan and I are planning a short trip through some German Mittelgebirge before Ringmeet. If anyone else is interested, please say so, then I will make a dedicated thread for it and give access to the planning sheet.
sudo make thread