Barak Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
BBC News said:
US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

How about that! Congratulations Mr Obama!

Last edited:
Shocking... though it can't get any worse than Al Gore in 2007.
Yeah, but he's actually having a noticeable benefit on the mood of the world, rather than just making everyone paranoid like Gore (and W.) did.

On the other hand Nobel prizes are usually awarded for some kind of a life-long achievement, when you can see whether there was any long-term effect on the world peace, not to presidents in their first year of presidency.

On the other hand Nobel prizes are usually awarded for some kind of a life-long achievement, when you can see whether there was any long-term effect on the world peace, not to presidents in their first year of presidency.

Yeah I was wondering about that too, anyone know the old details/rules behind Nobel Prize givings?

Hmm, I agree. I'm sure he'll be Nobel-worthy at some point, but this does seem a bit... premature.

Somebody must be having a laugh?

edit. I just realized that Obama and I share birthday!

Last edited:
Yeah I was wondering about that too, anyone know the old details/rules behind Nobel Prize givings?

The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind.

The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

The prizes for physics and chemistry shall be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiological or medical work by the Caroline Institute in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm, and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Storting. It is my express wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration whatever shall be given to the nationality of the candidates, but that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be a Scandinavian or not.

Great, from now on it can only go downhill for him. ;)

OK, seriously: Obama has made a seriously good impression on world diplomacy after the Bush years, but I agree that it's a bit early to award him a frakkin' Nobel prize. As of now, he's mostly done announcements.

the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.
Well, playing devil's advocate here, can anyone think of any person who that sentence accurately describes and hasn't been awarded a Nobel prize?

Give it back to the swedes if they keep this shit up.

I just read that in the newspaper and have nothing to say but... WHAT THE FUCK? I mean... he didn't even do anything yet.

Give him one after 8 years of world changing presidency and i'll clap and say he deserves it.
But after 1 year, well, he's an inspiring guy but it's a bit too soon

WHAT THE FUCK?!

I mean, the man still has over 3 years of his first presidency to screw things up. This & the Al Gore prize seriously prove that the peace prize is a fucking joke..

Besides, he only won because he is black
Im not racist, and if you think I am, try disproving that claim..

It's undeserved, there were far more deserving candidates.

That said, this is going to troll right wing America like nothing other so not all is lost, I've already seen some gems of comments on Fox News' site:

Be very careful...this is a forgein award to make the US de-arm itself and become just like the rest of the world. As for peace maybe for the rest of the world but from within the country the sleeping masses have awoken. The power of the American will be seen and felt by left. "

It devalues the award but provides humour to millions.

I've just though of something else. The president of a country currently involved in 2 invasive wars that have cost thousands of lives wins the worlds most prestigious peace prize.

lol_wut.jpg

Give it back to the swedes if they keep this shit up.

The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by the Norwegian Nobel comittee, not the Swedish.