Barak Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Well, playing devil's advocate here, can anyone think of any person who that sentence accurately describes and hasn't been awarded a Nobel prize?
You refering to C. Rice?

Yeah, but he's actually having a noticeable benefit on the mood of the world, rather than just making everyone paranoid like Gore (and W.) did.

x2

Gore has never and will never do anything for peace on this planet. Obama on the other hand, has immense power and the ability to.

Morgan Tsvangirai for one.

point is, there are people who have actually achieved something which is usually what the Nobel Committee go for. I've no doubt Obama has great vision and the committee want the prize to help him achieve that vision but that remains to be seen and won't be for some time.

Yes there are the odd exceptions where the prize is awarded in this way but for a lot of people this doesn't seem like the right choice, especially when the US is involved in two wars.

Last edited:
x2

Gore has never and will never do anything for peace on this planet. Obama on the other hand, has immense power and the ability to.

Yeah, maybe, but the definition of an award is a prize that rewards something a person has done or accomplished. Not something a person might accomplish in future years..

It's still better than giving it to Al Gore, which was laughable and pathetic.

Morgan Tsvangirai for one.
Why? Not to take away from his accomplishments... but even though his scope is humanitarian, it's hardly international, which is clearly criteria for the award.

...especially when the US is involved in two wars.
That he's actively trying to get us out of without destabilizing the entire Middle East, mind you.

You refering to C. Rice?
I equate her to peace like I equate a colonoscopy to a relaxing day out.

Last edited:
A Nobel mother fucking PEACE prize? Maybe a "hey, you might do good in the future!" award, but a Nobel Peace Prize? Uhhhhh.... yeaaaaaah, sure.

There is no doubt that Obama has had a noticeable effect on reducing tensions in the world, and the prize will hopefully increase presidents aura of more legitimate authority in round table discussions in which he takes part. The prize has been given to current leaders for steps in the right direction before, that is nothing new.

Somewhere Spectre is biting into the edge of his desk, trying not to scream :)

Seriously: That is definitive too early. Why couldn't they have waited until he actually has achieved something?

Ha! What a joke. If he is truly an upstanding man, he can only decline this award. I'll lose respect for him if he doesn't. Has he accepted/declined it? When is the acceptance if not?

I almost want to blame Bush for this; because of Bush's absolutely abysmal handling of international relations, anyone who can convince the entire rest of the world to even want to talk to the US again surely deserves some kind of award.

I'm very much open to suggestions, but I still haven't heard any real alternative to Obama getting the award this year. Everyone's saying he shouldn't get it and he should return it etc etc, but who should get it?

Last edited:
None of the Nobel prizes HAVE to be given out every year. They could have just not given one out.

One List of Nominees.

The last two nominees would have been a thousand times better than a man who can't actually claim to have accomplished anything yet. Sure, the committee can whine about "better atmosphere" and all, but giving everyone tranquilizers would have the same effect.

Denis Mukwege should have gotten it, hands down.

The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by the Norwegian Nobel comittee, not the Swedish.

That's why I said give it to the swedes, as the responsibility to give it out.

This seems like a consolation prize for not getting the olympics.

How would the Swedes do any better?

So Obama gets the prize for continuing Bush's foreign policy?

This administration decided to keep Gitmo running, and expand the effort in Afghanistan. More proof that the Nobel Peace Prize is worthless.

Ok, here are some clarifications. And a disclaimer. I don't think Obama should have won. I like him, but he's not there yet obviously. But I understand why he did.

1. The Nobel Committee has long used the prize to sort of nudge the world in one way or another. Giving the prize to Carter was a not so thinly veiled kick to the shin for Bush to get off the Iraq warpath. He didn't get it. Same with the Al Gore and IGPCC prize, that was a kick to the shins for Bush again to stop neutering the EPA and join Kyoto. This is the same sort of thing. Obama's obviously not there yet, but he's trying and this is meant to make people think twice before pushing back against peace (ie: NK, Iran, Hamas, Avigdor Lieberman, etc.) Not like it'll actually work, though.

2. He should turn it down because he's not there yet. This will actually help his position because he'd look like less of an egotist. And in addition, he's been unable to close gitmo because he played his hand wrong and lost his bargaining chips with other nations.

I thought it was April 1st when I heard it on the radio today. :blink: What were they thinking? And I?m not even one of those Obama-haters and I think that this must be a Joke. Not 1 year in office, still in 2 wars, Guantamo still open, just some nice speeches (with great Ideas, sure but those are WORDS!) ... and a Nobel Peace prize ... does that make sense to anybody? Hell, I might cure cancer tomorrow and invent the warpdrive untill next week ... where?s my medall and my cheque?!

Last edited: