Barak Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

I'm glad someone gets what it's about. She reminds me of Jon Stewart.

Yeah, I like her. And Fox News could never employ a liberal, intelligent, hard working and talented news presenter.

Because she's a lesbian and it would be like Veronica Corningstone walking into the Channel 10 news team.

Yeah, I like her. And Fox News could never employ a liberal, intelligent, hard working and talented news presenter.

FTFY :D

I'm very impressed about what she said. I agree 100 %. I also like her smirk ;)

However, considering all facts, I still think the prize comes one or two years too early for Barack Obama.

I didn't know if this should go here, or random thoughts, but meh.

If you thought youtube comments were great, this is the angriest, most surly group of people I think I've ever seen on the internet. The debate? Two fold;
1) Is the Nobel in Economics a real Nobel
2) Is Economics something that should be taken seriously

People who use words that are wayyyyy tooooooo loooong to ever actually be used, go go go!

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/10/and-the-fake-nobel-goes-to.php

That clip was mostly just a FoxNews style compilation of bits and pieces taken out of context to pursue a certain agenda, only a different one. Comparing Obama to dissidents in undemocratic countries, who also had not yet achieved much, is pathetic. A small man fighting against a totalitarian government vs. the president of the United States. Yeah, same thing. This is what upsets me most about this stupid chioce. There are lots and lots of unknown people working in miserable conditions to help the victims of wars or peacefully overthrow an undemocratic government, risking their health, freedom or lives, who could definitely use the publicity or indeed the prize money to help their cause, but instead they give it to the most overhyped politician on Earth, for no particular reason.
I don't really blame Obama for it. Even he must be aware that all this hype will eventually backfire, as it just adds to the already extremely high expectations, which he, or indeed any human being, can never fulfil. Then again he's not exactly doing a lot against it.

She doesn't. She's pointing out the principle of awarding people before their achievments are fullfilled.

She doesn't. She's pointing out the principle of awarding people before their achievments are fullfilled.
Yes. By taking things out of context and being very smug while doing so. I even get the feeling she's trying to imitate Jon Stewart's facial expressions, who, by the way, is no example of objective journalism either, but at least he's funny. She isn't.

Funny she is not. But she does make a good point. Stewart isn't objective. No one is objective. Ever.

^ Finally, someone who gets the idea, without going "Oh, noes! Dat'so undeserved...!" Seriously, Republicans; Quit whining already...

That clip was mostly just a FoxNews style compilation of bits and pieces taken out of context to pursue a certain agenda, only a different one. Comparing Obama to dissidents in undemocratic countries, who also had not yet achieved much, is pathetic. A small man fighting against a totalitarian government vs. the president of the United States. Yeah, same thing.
Did you miss the part where she talked about Jimmy Carter or Woodrow Wilson (also Presidents of the United States, FYI) winning it?

And how exactly did she "take things out of context"? She created the context she was discussing; people who won the Nobel Peace Prize before ultimately achieving what they set out to do, if ever achieving it at all. Seems to me that you're taking things out of context to pursue your agenda, which is ironically what she was talking about with the "Obama Derangement Syndrome".

Last edited:
I did like Obama's stance on the whole thing. He has the award, so now it's like a challenge for him. He won it based on his promises alone, so now he has one more thing staring him in the face, expecting him to make good on his words.

So they are handing it out to a politician based on his campaign promises.

And people wonder why I might have a problem with this.

I did like Obama's stance on the whole thing. He has the award, so now it's like a challenge for him. He won it based on his promises alone, so now he has one more thing staring him in the face, expecting him to make good on his words.

Yeah, we only have to wait until after 2012 for him not to give a shit. ;)

"Obama derangement syndrome" indeed. Maddow summed it up perfectly.

... (Jon Stewart) is no example of objective journalism either ...
I think Jon Stewart would laugh his ass off if anyone even implied that he was objective or a journalist. Just saying.

Does not compute? I don't get it.

so he got a shiney thingy that says peace on it, good for him, it's not like a nobel prize will suddenly create rainbows and make peace everywhere, it's a glorified oscar prize...

i doubt many will notice a difference no matter who gets it.

Yes, I know Stewart is supposed to be funny and that's a good thing. Once the presenter starts to take this kind of a show seriously, though, the results are quite pathetic, regardless of whether the bias is left or right wing. I could type out all the things that are wrong with that clip in my mind but I can't be bothered anymore, it's not like it would change anyone's opinion anyway.

Yes, I know Stewart is supposed to be funny and that's a good thing. Once the presenter starts to take this kind of a show seriously, though, the results are quite pathetic, regardless of whether the bias is left or right wing. I could type out all the things that are wrong with that clip in my mind but I can't be bothered anymore, it's not like it would change anyone's opinion anyway.

Maddow is not a wannabe Jon Stewart. In that clip she's not being anymore serious or sarcastic or anything other than what she normally is. At least not from what I've seen of her show, which i'll grant isn't a whole lot.

If you don't want to expand on your position suit yourself. I'll just have to assume that Maddow is in fact 100% correct in her appraisal of the situation. :p