BBC America to air TopGear

Dammit! I'm leaving for a trip to Seattle the night of the 20th, so I'll miss the first showing. I've already seen the eps, but still... :(

It is operated by Discovery Communications (the same people that do Discovery Channel).
Judging from what I saw on the Discovery Channel "Top Gear" marathon that was aired several years ago, then we can expect some editing and some changes to the original music. I will be surprised if there are no changes at all.

omgomgomgomg its up on my cable guide! :w00t:

Its sad how excited I am to watch old episodes I have seen a hundred times. :lol:

They should probably get rid of the Star in Liana segment, except when someone super duper famous is on. It sometimes really drags the show down.

IMHO... depends on who they have on. Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Stephen Fry, Michael Gambon, Johnny vegas and (much to my surprise) Lionel Richie were great interviews.

On the other hand, the ones with Harry Enfield, Jensen Button (and especially) Jordan and was teeth-grindingly dull and tedious. And I could see that Clarkson agreed with that - it's the quality of the material he's given!

This is such great news. I jsut hope they don't edit the episodes too much.

Cue the old chestnut "what about the advertisers who would otherwise book time on the channel"... a dull line of discourse but I can hardly see Ford rushing to give BBCA cash, taking into the account the review of (amongst others) the F150 pickup.

Not to mention the lashing Chrysler, Dodge, Chevrolet, etc etc have all had on the series.

On the other hand, they might all just say, "You know, that Clarkson guy is right. Our cars are a steaming pile of poo and we should do something about it".

Cue the old chestnut "what about the advertisers who would otherwise book time on the channel"... a dull line of discourse but I can hardly see Ford rushing to give BBCA cash, taking into the account the review of (amongst others) the F150 pickup.

Not to mention the lashing Chrysler, Dodge, Chevrolet, etc etc have all had on the series.

On the other hand, they might all just say, "You know, that Clarkson guy is right. Our cars are a steaming pile of poo and we should do something about it".

There are hardly any ads for cars on BBC America so thats not going to be an issue. Usually it's ads for retirement programs, old people scooters, cell phones for old people (oh goodie the buttons light up!), mutual life insurance policies, and medications. I call it the geriatrics channel. There are actually a few shows on there worth watching. Ramsay is on most weeks, Dr Who, and they used to run some great comedies like Blacks Books and Hardware.
My prediction is that we're in for a pretty good edit. Not quite like what the discovery channel did with the subtitles and trying to convert the price of the car for us. (always wrong, it's not always about the pound to dollar conversion! fools!)
I'm hoping they don't cut the news and I actually like the interviews and hot lap. Either way we're in for 45 minutes of show, and 15 minutes of commercials.

I for one and pretty happy to see it on there. I've been emailing for years asking when they were going to break down and put it on. How can the hottest show in the UK not be on BBC America?

Last edited:

One thing you guys that say "the car companies won't advertise with them, therefor they can't get funding and are screwed" don't realize is that people that like cars also like lots of other things. The demographic is usually male, and more than likely under 30, sell us on anything from Razors to Cell phones and TVs.

If TG in the US could get anywhere near the audience it should get, no channel would need the auto manufacturers to sponsor them.

One thing you guys that say "the car companies won't advertise with them, therefor they can't get funding and are screwed" don't realize is that people that like cars also like lots of other things. The demographic is usually male, and more than likely under 30, sell us on anything from Razors to Cell phones and TVs.

If TG in the US could get anywhere near the audience it should get, no channel would need the auto manufacturers to sponsor them.

"You guys"? What, me? I don't think this to be the case. It's just something that is continually rolled out as a line of (very dull) argument. I'm kind of saying that it would be nice if instead of withholding sponsorship, 'certain' car companies would conspire to make something worth driving.

I do hope Clarkson reviews the Dodge Caliber. Not only is it spelt incorrectly, but it is by far the worst car I've ever seen, been in, or had the misfortune to drive. Listening to his review, I'm sure, would be a demonstration of sublime polemic.

"You guys"? What, me? I don't think this to be the case. It's just something that is continually rolled out as a line of (very dull) argument. I'm kind of saying that it would be nice if instead of withholding sponsorship, 'certain' car companies would conspire to make something worth driving.

While I quoted your post I wasn't going after you.

I do hope Clarkson reviews the Dodge Caliber. Not only is it spelt incorrectly, but it is by far the worst car I've ever seen, been in, or had the misfortune to drive. Listening to his review, I'm sure, would be a demonstration of sublime polemic.[/QUOTE]

According to my dictionary it's spelt right :dunno: Interesting enough that same one says spelt isn't (I know it is).

I don't get the car one bit. It's not an SUV, but it looks big, it's only slightly taller than an 80's Sentra, but can't manage to break 30mpg (US rating)... plus it's a Chrysler product.

Semi-bump...

I'm watching the first episode... it's unharmed so far... i'll update this post as I finish it.

They are showing the episode with hamster in a pink micra. They did the star in a reasonably priced car scene of them screwing around with replacing the old one and all.

Last edited:
I'm happy they are finally being shown on BBC America... even though they have a lot of commercials, editing, music replacements, etc. I knew it wouldn't be possible to show them as originally broadcast.

I didn't notice the music, though it is kind of irritating that they'll chop a bit up for commercials. But I'm MORE than satisfied that we finally got the proper version.