BBC America to air TopGear

Here it goes..

Its fantastic we have the proper version of Top Gear now, thanks to the BBC.

Chopping it up for commercials is horrible, its like chopping up Christmas mass at the Vatican for commercials.

I really didn't notice a change in the music, though I only caught the second episode.

Its really odd to see Top Gear in tv resolution, its great :mrgreen:

edited the heck out of the episodes :(

notice the z06, they just cut the entire part about the sat-nav out LOL!

didnt see the Z06 but thats quite funny, though thats a slippery slope to go down which eventually leads to cutting out all the America bashing

I'm sorry. Baby steps I guess and much like everyone else I've been spoiled by watching the "proper" TG, but this one is shit. Better than the old Discover attempt but still shit. Huge chunks of the program (and funny ones at that) are missing and it just seem much less interesting, funny and all around put together than the real thing. Love the "Coming up" at every break, you know you've got to tell people what's coming up so we stupid Americans don't lose interest and leave the room. They learn all the best bits from the American TV. I guess the saving grace is that they don't plug a "recap" after every break, don't they realize we've obviously forgotten what we've just seen 3 minutes ago (or 5 sec if you smart enough to skip over the f***ing commercials). Overall, I'm sorely disappointed :(

Dissapointed :(:( Everytime a commercial appeared (which btw were too many) I knew that I was missing part of the Episode and that bugged me so much i couldn't enjoy the show :mad: (as I always do).

boo hoo hoo. Overall, I'm sorely disappointed :(

yes this show is heavily edited because of the commercial breaks, but given that all of BBC America's programs are interrupted by commercials, how much choice do you think the producers had to work it into BBCA's programming schedule? it's not like many ppl on the forums didn't anticipate this already. frankly im just impressed they're able to bring this show over in the best effort they can, much better than the awful edits shown previously on Discovery channel.

and its funny how the ppl who are probably going to complain the most, are the ones who have seen every ep already. i mean, are those ppl worried about not seeing some part of a show they've already seen?

frankly i think the effort is commendable if not perfect and shouldnt be dissed by the whining of some needy hardcore fanboys.

and its funny how the ppl who are probably going to complain the most, are the ones who have seen every ep already. i mean, are those ppl worried about not seeing some part of a show they've already seen?
That is probably true, I mean how else would you know what you're missing? I'm not worried about not seeing something again, my hope was that once they catch up, I would be able to actually watch TG on BBC-A instead of all this torrent crap (blessing as that is and huge thanks to all involved for that). The excess of commercials are a sad reality in US but a reality no less. Neutering the show is not. Almost 20 min is missing! The show is brilliant as millions upon million viewers confirmed. This however, just did not seem brilliant and I'm afraid if it were this that was TG's claim to fame, it wouldn't be. Like I said, I'm sad as I was hoping to watch TG on BBC-A. I won't.

Wow, you guys will bitch no matter what!

Of course it was cut up to fit in the commercials BBC-A does not get it's money from taxes, how else do you expect them to make cash? Product placement?

And while it sucks they had to cut it up, but do you honestly think it was a bad idea that they cut out some of the America bashing? Yeah it sucks they cut out some of the material, but in all honesty the z06 sat-nav joke wasn't exactly what I'd call a moment in comedic excellence.

Get off your damn high horse people, at least now we get the general feel of the show to a wider audience, we still get their mucking about and general comradery, which was missing from the previous US version. This is the key to the show, this is what makes the show, not the fact that they will bash America, or that it doesn't have commercials, it's the fact that it's 3 guys from England having a damn good time making a TV show.

I'd wager the countries getting stuck with the half-hour edits of the show would love to get the version we get. It's nice that I can now tell my friends that can't use torrents or do like them or whatever to just set their TiVo to record it on monday nights.

didnt see the Z06 but thats quite funny, though thats a slippery slope to go down which eventually leads to cutting out all the America bashing

It wasn't even a funny bit anyways. They still left in his comment "7 litres of American Friendly fire" and mentioned about the flimsy body work, still make a crack at how we use Aluminum in stead of Aluminium.

Last edited:
well I get BBC America and yes they cut out many parts and put commercials. I gues it costs a lot to bring the show here. I have a solution make the show and 1.5 hours with commercial and don't cut out any parts out.

Anyway it's nice to see Top Gear in TV resolution, really enjoyed that. I hope they will show the new episodes on October at the same dates as the British watch it.

Well its such a shame to compromise Quality for Quantity. As "Pfrocker" said "Just make them longer 1.5 hours with the commercials and everyone is happy". It's like watching a violent movie (such as Gladiator) and have all the violent scenes cut off because it is being aired at 6pm on TNT.... just air it later. Same with BBC America... if you are going to do something... do it right.

It was a bit interesting on the first run through. I was disappointed to not see the news segments and to have strategically located commercials right when things were getting interesting(like taking the CCX off the track). I got by though and think it's a pretty good cut, and it means I can kick back on a monday nite at watch Top Gear without having to connect the computer to the TV and hope that the torrent is finished etc etc. Hopefully it'll wind up ondemand without the commercials.

I watched it tonight, and it was a damn sight better than the Discovery channel version. You could tell that some things had been shortened - the review of the convertible Jag XK for instance, was minus all the awesome camera work at the beginning where you are pretty much drooling over all its curves.

After watching it:

The framerate was much higher than the downloaded versions
I EASILY noticed the change (or deletion of) music. And it SUCKED
They cut the news (which is the funniest part)
They kept SIARPC (Which are all people most Americans know nothing about)
Cut out random bits of the reviews
Comercials Suck
The English Accents warning was hilarious :)

But it least it will give normal Americans the chance to see it.

I thought it was fairly good for normal americans (those who don't know the difference). I too noticed the tv resolution, it will take some time to get used to. The music was noticable, but what they replaced it with was not bad. I can understand why they cut out the news, it's not news anymore. The star in the car was kept probably because everyone here knows who Gordon Ramsey is. All in all a great effort and I look forward to seeing many more re-runs.

After watching it:

The framerate was much higher than the downloaded versions
I EASILY noticed the change (or deletion of) music. And it SUCKED
They cut the news (which is the funniest part)

Considering the news is 1 or 2 years old, logic dictates they remove it. I admit you're right that it tends to be the funniest part.

You guys that are bitching about the music... how many times have you guys watched these episodes?

"the following program contains accents you might be more familiar with had you not thrown our tea into Boston Harbor" :D classic

it sucked knowing that every time we saw an ad for BBC America we were missing a hilarious bit of news, and the studio sections seemed really wierd on tv (probably because of afforementioned technical stuff that I'll act like I understand).

that said, it was fantastic to see top gear on something other than a computer screen, even if it was slightly neutered...

:D paying the TV licence does have its benefits :D

is it in 4:3, 14:10 or 16:9?