BBC America to air TopGear

The thing that I don't understand with the music is...why? Licensing issue's perhaps?

Edit: At which case there is not a damned thing that can be done about it, short of shell out more money.

From my understanding of music law, you're right. This is just an educated guess. The BBC has to ask permission to use the songs they play. They ask permission from PRS (the Performing Righs Society.) The PRS basically ensures bands get royalties when their songs are used. The most likley scenerio is the BBC gets permission to use the songs as long as they are used only on the UK version of Top Gear. If the songs were used in the American version, the BBC would have to approach BMI of ASCAP. With the UKTV versions it's the same thing. They don't have permission to use those songs. It would probably cost more then its worth to BBC America, UKTV to keep those songs so they probably just found cheaper ones to replace them.

I'm surprised that Top Gear is only starting to be shown over in the states on BBC America. Over on this side of the fence, BBC Canada has been showing Top Gear for as long as I can remember. The latest ep I've seen on the tv was when the guys did the stretch car challenge and I didn't even finish watching it as I was starting to feel embarrassed for James. XD

From my understanding of music law, you're right. This is just an educated guess. The BBC has to ask permission to use the songs they play. They ask permission from PRS (the Performing Righs Society.) The PRS basically ensures bands get royalties when their songs are used. The most likley scenerio is the BBC gets permission to use the songs as long as they are used only on the UK version of Top Gear. If the songs were used in the American version, the BBC would have to approach BMI of ASCAP. With the UKTV versions it's the same thing. They don't have permission to use those songs. It would probably cost more then its worth to BBC America, UKTV to keep those songs so they probably just found cheaper ones to replace them.

Now that I think about it, the BBC (or at least that particular channel) is a non profit channel so they artists are likely not to demand a royalty, whereas in the US it's the other way around.

I saw the episode last night, it was ok. I liked the high frame rate, it seemed more smooth than watching the downloaded versions.

But, I do miss the news segments...and I can't stand the commercials.

You're right.. and it's usually hit or miss when it comes to replaying music outside of the original broadcast airing due to licensing costs. Stuff from the original broadcast like Silva orchestra re-recordings or production music will always remain on subsequent re-broadcasts, while some labels/artists material will be replaced. All Amon Tobin tracks for example were changed, as well as I'm sure anything on his label - Ninja Tune. In the U.S. a popular song used as background may cost around $3000 for usage/ up to $2000 for a less popular song. A song used as a theme can go anywhere from $25,000 - $500,000. So as you can see it is understandable why some songs must be changed.

Last edited:
They showed part of the news yesterday, and I stand corrected they didn't change the intro song

To go with the question above, does anyone get any BBC channels in HD in the States?

They are all rerun episodes but i dont care! I love Top Gear!!!

New episode tonight!! Porsche Cayenne Turbo vs that flying guy!

For those (like me) who don't have digital cable and therefore do not get BBC America, if you have Comcast the episodes are available On Demand. :mrgreen:

Now that I actually watched an episode On Demand, its the full uncut, unedited versions with news and star in a reasonably priced car. Enjoy.

Now that I actually watched an episode On Demand, its the full uncut, unedited versions with news and star in a reasonably priced car. Enjoy.

I was just about to ask the question. Now that I see that there on there, I'm going downstairs right now to watch. BTW, it's 6:12 AM here!

I just watched the broadcast on BBC America and was somewhat sad about the loss of the news and some of the abrupt removals segues into other segments, but now that you've told me that I'm not so sad after all!

I think it depends on the episode. Episode 2 seems to be cut by a few minutes whereas episode 3 is more in tact.

Yeah, sad to say even on-demand the eps have been molested. So much for that..

boo-urns BBC America