BBC lawyers fight The Stig's bid to lift lid on his identity

:lol: Oh, bookies.

I think that will be the end of TopGear as we know it....when it comes back this upcoming year, it will prolly have some new Stig.....Grey Stig I'm guessing....Goodbye TopGear as we know it....may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.....RIP TopGear 2002 - 2011......

I honestly couldn't care less how they handle this.

They could just come back, say "We replaced the Stig, here is the new Stig." Good Enough. I'd still watch the show.

I suppose I can agree with you Voltage....but it is an end of an era....you have to agree with that....

I suppose I can agree with you Voltage....but it is an end of an era....you have to agree with that....

As far as I can see the only era that has ended is the one where a n00b uses "prolly" instead of "probably" and hasn't been pounced on by resident Grammar Nazis! :p

The motorsport community has been discussing the stig issue on twitter today.

@5LiveF1 said:
So @antdavidson is 4/1 to be the new Stig... Some say he does not understand how bookmakers work but he likes them...

@5LiveF1 said:
RT @MrGazFaz: @5LiveF1 Eddie Jordan 1000-1 purple paisley racesuit a dead givaway! <ha ha ha

@antdavidson said:
RT @JazzK1976: @5LiveF1 If the new Stig is short, then you'll know its @antdavidson - Quite a lot of drivers are short ;-)

@5LiveF1 said:
@antdavidson - I concur, there are shorter drivers than @antdavidson

@karunchandhok said:
RT @5LiveF1 I concur, there are shorter drivers than @antdavidson - name one ??!!!

@5LiveF1 said:
@karunchandhok - Allan McNish!

@karunchandhok said:
RT @JarvoB - @5LiveF1 What colour Stig would an @antdavidson Stig be? Ginger I spose.

@rubarrichello said:
what happened to Stig???in Brazil there are no news...

@rubarrichello said:
I did not know it was Ben Collins...he kept his visor shutted at all times

10/1 odds for Nigel Mansell :lol:
...they could reuse the white suit and just paint a moustache on the helmet. :think:

I'm not givng up on my opinion that James's mum is the Stig... ;)

Speaking of making assumptions, is there anything that confirms that there actually will be a new Stig? They could just ignore the issue, watch everyone speculate as to the new driver and keep Ben :lol:

:lol: Eddie Jordan as the Stig = lulz. That's one way to make sure a hairpiece never comes off: by keeping it in a helmet.

The second he'd try to explain something with "when I was at Jordan..." Purple Paisley Stig would be outed and sacked, though.

Last edited:
Meanwhile.....

Anthony Davidson is bookies favourite to become the new Stig

I'm wondering how they will settle this. If the new Stig has to sign the same confidentiallity clause as BC, it could be a while before they can pay out.

This is something of a grand tradition. The first time I heard Ben Collins' name was when he was announced as the "bookies' favourite" to be The Stig back in about 2004. They accept bets on when the world will end, so they're not that bothered about hanging onto your money for a while.

Remember last year when newspapers across the world published that Ben was the Stig? We had this whole discussion back then as well. Somebody even made up a YouTube video of the black Stig (minus a glove) walking out of the sea. In the end, what did TopGear do? Nothing! They just ignored it and didn't acknowledge that anything had happened.

I think that will be the end of TopGear as we know it....when it comes back this upcoming year, it will prolly have some new Stig.....Grey Stig I'm guessing....Goodbye TopGear as we know it....may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.....RIP TopGear 2002 - 2011......

They won't change the colour of the suit, IMO, because of all the TG marketing and merchandising already out there. It would be pointless and, also IMO, stupid. They'll just have White Stig MkII.

I'm not givng up on my opinion that James's mum is the Stig... ;)

:D She totally is. James is just covering for her.

Speaking of making assumptions, is there anything that confirms that there actually will be a new Stig? They could just ignore the issue, watch everyone speculate as to the new driver and keep Ben :lol:

Well, I do think they'll keep the white suit, for the big reasons I stated (marketing/merchandising). If they do change the driver, there'll be a bit of a furor within the British press because they'll all be wanting to "out" him before anyone else.

Remember last year when newspapers across the world published that Ben was the Stig? We had this whole discussion back then as well. Somebody even made up a YouTube video of the black Stig (minus a glove) walking out of the sea. In the end, what did TopGear do? Nothing! They just ignored it and didn't acknowledge that anything had happened.

Yes, they did do something. They got clever and took the piss out of it. Remember all the blog posts asserting so-and-so was the Stig? Or the whole thing with Schumi in 13x01?

Hah hah hahhahh at the tweets
Honestly I respect Rubens a lot. He is the best.
And we should see a new Yellow and Green stig with a blue helmet.

2iggaw3.jpg

(sorry about the failshoop, i'm not that good)

Last edited:
the stig made first page on yahoo.com all over the world.

Heck, the fact that he even made the news here in Columbus shocked the crap out of me! And on a day when I was wearing my "I was the Stig, but..." shirt. :)

exerpt: Other eye-openers

? The identity of "the Stig" - the anonymous test driver on Top Gear, the British TV show about cars on which Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz recently competed - has been revealed as 33-year-old racer Ben Collins. The BBC had asked Britain's High Court to block the publication of an autobiography revealing his identity, but lawyers for publishers HarperCollins said it wasn't granted.