BBC lawyers fight The Stig's bid to lift lid on his identity

I have to wonder if the "disclosing parts of the NDA" bit wasn't at the publisher's pushing? Say, some random F3 driver comes up with an autobiography, the publisher wonders why that's even slightly interesting, the publisher then realizes that he's that guy rumored to be the Stig, and then they try and push Guy-Rumored-to-be-Stig to say more (because everyone knows a Stig bio would sell like hotcaeks)?

(All of this is purely speculative, of course, because we all know that Viper007Bond is the Stig.)

This Story has been in The Evening Standard Every single day since this story broke. It's on page 6 today.

I am getting really bored of constantly seeing this story over and over again in the Free Paper's.

Who does the Standard think it is? The Daily Mail?

EDIT: Although, Now the BBC has got a court Media ban. So it is unlikely to appear anymore. Lovely.

Last edited:
the bbc failed to get the injuction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11151777

Sky news has taken the alternative tact of kicking the BBC while their down. their banner currently reads:

BREAKING NEWS TOP GEAR'S THE STIG NAMED AS BEN COLLING AFTER BBC REFUSED INJUCTION TO PREVENT PUBLICATION OF HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY

This is a character of a little motoring show that's on BBC2, that's been given a little bit of undue prominance I think.

Murdoch's a cunt, fwiw.

Last edited:
Hard to feel sorry for the Beeb, they should have done the REAL Stig autobiography and tossed a few quid to the Stig's for co-writing. Would be hell of alot better story, and outcome to the High Court farce.

Hard to feel sorry for the Beeb, they should have done the REAL Stig autobiography and tossed a few quid to the Stig's for co-writing. Would be hell of alot better story, and outcome to the High Court farce.

They could still do that of course, plastered with the top gear logo, and get it out before ben collins. Of course, I don't think the person who wrote it would get much sleep for the next couple of weeks.

Maybe Ben Collins has just had enough of the job, and views an autobiography as a bonus or ?pension?, albeit probably not much of one. Perhaps Rubens ("I beat the Stig") Barrichello helped him make his mind up.

Maybe Ben Collins has just had enough of the job, and views an autobiography as a bonus or ?pension?, albeit probably not much of one. Perhaps Rubens ("I beat the Stig") Barrichello helped him make his mind up.

aye, but an " I beat Ben Collins" t-shirt is just gonna look rediculous.

James is doing the rounds today to promote his book and has been asked his opinion in everyone interview. His reaction:

"Obviously I'm now going to have to take some legal action of my own, because I have been the Stig for the past seven years, and I don't know who this bloke is, who's mincing around in the High Court pretending it's him."

Some very shaky footage of James on BBC Breakfast Show this morning. Forward to 2:00 to hear James admitting to being The Stig.

[video=youtube;DttRXqU-9vU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttRXqU-9vU[/video]

A lot of confused people on Twitter today, who all seem to think he was serious. :-D

Or was he indeed? ;-)

Last edited:
I think it's all very well and good not jumping to conclusions or taking sides before all the information is out, but I'm SURE there was a confidentiality agreement (because it'd be the bloody obvious thing to do after the black Stig, and subsequently confirmed by Wilman's blog), and I don't see how the court ruling can just piss that away. It's appalling.

Now, we don't know if that agreement was to be in effect until the end of Top Gear or until the Stig chose to step down, but either way, I think it shows him to be a person of poor character, and the court system to be worthless.

He should've waited to cash in when TG ends. What a douchebag. <_<<_<<_<

Personally, I'm not bothered about the Lap Board being continued by another driver - it's just entertainment, people, not a matter of national security. :rolleyes: If it was that important, they should have done them all under the same conditions.

And since there's so much merchandising dependent on the white Stig, I think they should keep him white, but it does seem like some RETRIBUTION is in order. Tough call.

I think it's all very well and good not jumping to conclusions or taking sides before all the information is out, but I'm SURE there was a confidentiality agreement (because it'd be the bloody obvious thing to do after the black Stig, and subsequently confirmed by Wilman's blog), and I don't see how the court ruling can just piss that away. It's appalling.

Now, we don't know if that agreement was to be in effect until the end of Top Gear or until the Stig chose to step down, but either way, I think it shows him to be a person of poor character, and the court system to be worthless.

He should've waited to cash in when TG ends. What a douchebag. <_<<_<<_<

QUOTE]

Agreed, and it's sad this is happening now, as the show is, in the words of Wilman, closer to the end than the beginning. Why not wait until after the show ends? Did someone's investment account tank and they need $/(sorry, can't find the pound symbol on my 'merican computer)?:think:

Last edited:
Crazy, isn't it. The Stig was just supposed to be a bit of fun, but add in $$$ and it all goes to shit. Way of the world I guess.