BBC lawyers fight The Stig's bid to lift lid on his identity

As usual, James May can be counted on to bring some humor and reality to the situation.
words alone do not describe the amount of meh i give to this whole situation. guy reveals he's the stig. big deal, move on get another one. i get the distinct impression thats its only the mature fans of the series who can see this for the waste of time it truly is.

All I can say about this is: Oh well. The Stig himself is cosmic Space Goo to me - the body that hosts said Space Goo is irrelevant. ;)

The Stig - plenty more where the last one came from. The Stig needs to be some sort of secret as the reality is far more boring than the mystery. As will hopefully be proven when everyone decides that Collins is rather more dull than the mystery of the Stig and decides not to buy his book.

The latest from Richard Porter on the matter:
Sniff Petrol said:
PhilCollins.jpg

There was shock across the world today after a High Court ruling finally allowed popular Top Gear racing driver The Stig to reveal his identity.

?I was frankly shocked,? said one Top Gear fan outside the court room. ?I had no idea it was? sorry, what?s his name??

Other fans of the BBC motoring show were equally aghast at the news. ?I couldn?t believe it!? wrote one contributor to a Top Gear discussion forum. ?To think all this time it was a bloke whose name I?ve only just been told but now can?t remember!?

However, some Top Gear viewers were less easily confused. ?I knew all along it was Lewis Collins,? said one ardent Top Gear enthusiast. ?He was quite good at driving in The Professionals and his drumming with Genesis was great. No, wait, who were we talking about again? Bootsy Collins??

Meanwhile, other fans were less certain. ?It?s Pauline Collins out of Shirley Valentine?? wrote one confused fan on a BBC message board. ?God, that race suit really covered up how small and Liverpudlian she is. And that she?s almost 70 years old. Fair play to her.?

Despite the confusion, the thoughts of all Top Gear viewers seemed to be summed up by one anonymous contributor to a news discussion group. ?The revelation about this Joan Collins person is amazing,? they wrote. ?I look forward to being able to buy a book all about someone I have never heard of and in whom I have literally no interest whatsoever.?

Heh. I hope Richard Porter is talking to someone about being as mental as he appears to be. Silly boy, that.

I'm assuming here so... lets say he was The Stig, now he's been working with those guys for 7? years.
Some would assume that they were friends, and then he just fucks them all, to sell a crappy book that will be in discount bins come January... it's disheartening.

Heh. I hope Richard Porter is talking to someone about being as mental as he appears to be. Silly boy, that.

Richard Porter is awesome, and he's not gonna hold back once this is all over... I hope. Granted he did delete the great chair story, which seemed to show a bit of bitterness.

I think that the coolness of the Stig has transcended the "mystique" over his identity over the last few years. They've pushed him more towards being a non-human entity rather than just an unknown racing driver, and it doesn't really matter as much who is actually the man behind the overalls. Besides, he'll still shift as many keychains and comedy T-shirts as ever, don't worry!

And besides, everyone who's read a newspaper knew who the Stig was anyway.

According to amazon.co.uk the book will be available tomorrow (Sept 2nd):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-White-Suit-Ben-Collins/dp/000732796X/ref=amb_link_157757187_3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=1VHJWVFWMR7G7DQKRR6Q&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=212847707&pf_rd_i=the%20man%20in%20the%20white%20suit

(oops, my image link didn't work).

Personally, I don't care who the Stig is and it won't ruin the show for me. We all pretty much knew who it was all along. I'm hoping to see some humor and an epic Stig death in the opening of the next series.

As much as we can speculate on the unknown details (confidentiality agreements, egos, etc...) it's a pretty low move on Ben Collins' part.
Oh well, so long white Stig!

Last edited:
Wow. After seeing the cover and hearing the courts are allowing it to be released, it makes me wonder what the terms of the confidentiality agreement WERE, dammit.

Defo GOT to be more to the story. You'd think a clear cut confidentiality agreement would rule something like this completely out straight away. However, perhaps Wilman & Co. were OK with Ben releasing a biography after Stigging it up for seven years, and no publicity is bad publicity. WOULD he risk ruining his rep/friendships over this, if not? Doubtful.

But goodness only knows.

Last edited:
There could be White Stig MkII, you know, given all the merchandising. :nod:

I'm assuming here so... lets say he was The Stig, now he's been working with those guys for 7? years.
Some would assume that they were friends, and then he just fucks them all, to sell a crappy book that will be in discount bins come January... it's disheartening.

Amen.

I think he is probably just sick of being the only one of the four stars of the show who isn't getting a share in the glory.

But he isn't a star of the show. The Stig is. He's an above average driver, totally replaceable, who chose to betray the trust of the people he worked with - cast, crew and celebrities.