• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

BBC making lots of money

Wainy

Click Me

It seemed a relevant so i thought i'd let everone have a look at this articale.

It does sort of make the beeb look like a big rich greedy company. But then on the up side I guess it does mean they'll get round to selling top gear globally sooner or later.

Long link fixed by hokiethang

Actually, I think they partly have the internet (torrent sites... *cough*) to thank for this, with people all over the world getting to know the BBC's programs, now more than ever. Just one example: undoubtedly increased sales of the TG magazine. They should thank sites like finalgear, but instead we get a cease and desist.

Oh, the irony.

SPG900 said:
Actually, I think they partly have the internet (torrent sites... *cough*) to thank for this, with people all over the world getting to know the BBC's programs, now more than ever. Just one example: undoubtedly increased sales of the TG magazine. They should thank sites like finalgear, but instead we get a cease and desist.

Oh, the irony.

It's sad cause it's true...

I watched the first few episodes of Little Britain cos I was in England at the time... and then downloaded the rest using bittorrent when i got back to Australia.

I bought the DVD's the *second* they were available, and I made every single person I know watch the show when it was *finally* shown in Australia (many of whom also bought the show).

Bittorrent sure was harmful there. :roll:

whoa super long link bro. try using the url tags, eh? ;)

SPG900 said:

Oh, the irony.

does the BBC get the profit from the top gear magazine?
don't know how it's in the UK, but over here most programs are made by independant organizations, and then sell it to a station

bone said:
does the BBC get the profit from the top gear magazine?
don't know how it's in the UK, but over here most programs are made by independant organizations, and then sell it to a station

Top Gear is a BBC made program. This is shown at the beginning (BBC logo) and end (BBC + production year) of each episode. Unlike for instance Have I Got News For You, which is a Hat Trick production (also shown at the end of each episode). The BBC produces quite a lot of shows.

I think the bbc is non profit (though I may be very wrong there), they are publically funded and as such have to put all their money back into the system...

MIGHT THIS be the reason the have stopped us downloading from here?

"The BBC is currently trialling an interactive media player (iMP) based on file-sharing technology to let people download programmes they have missed up to seven days after it is first broadcast."

probably has something to do with it, but there a reother reasons, like the TV license, Top Gear DVDs, etc.

Well maybe a good thing will come of it, If the service is FREE then we can get BBC Quality copies onto the net. If its a Subscription Service then maybe for a small fee you guys from outside the UK can get them Legally

Also the BBC announced their increasing the license fee. This better mean an increase in new programs and less repeats. :x