BBC moves to file-sharing sites

Not Top Gear, though...

just cos top gear's not listed doesn't mean t won't be available

i think top gear is the embarrassing little wart for the BBC governors - everyone wants to see it, but they hate it.

The determening factor: what will it cost?

Another determening factor: Will it contain DRM? Will you be aloved to watch it without having a man from beeb humping you in the arse?

Another determening factor: Will it contain DRM? Will you be aloved to watch it without having a man from beeb humping you in the arse?

Yes it will. It's to prevent people from sharing it, with that in mind ... Your probably going to have to pay for it, but it's the BBC ... so the hole pay thing makes no cents.

(Stupid Pun, I Know)

they should just make top gear dvd's, they made dvds for qi when there fans made a pertition...

Great news - it may not be the perfect solution, but it's a start. It's good to see the BBC continue moving in this direction.

Yes it will. It's to prevent people from sharing it
Where have you been the last couple of years, sunshine? Quite a large number of the CDs on the market today comes with DRM.

And I hear you ask, does it stop copying? No, I answer. It stops copying in the same way a tortilla kan stop a bullet.

I think that they should release Top Gear on DVD like every other good show. It's the only way to get the quality.

It just irritates the hell out of me when I see argumentation like that in support of DRM, clearly, you did not think of the end result, but you'd be suprised how many stupid people think it works.

And how many big corporations believe it. It's mad, really.

So the BBC will be offering tv shows online for me to download, like I already do, if I pay some sort of fee. OKAAAAAYYYYY.....

So the BBC will be offering tv shows online for me to download, like I already do, if I pay some sort of fee. OKAAAAAYYYYY.....
Well, I could download high quality videos in a widely-accepted standard format that's not crippled with DRM and doesn't contain a rootkit; all from an online community that treats me like their friend. BUT! Instead, I could pay money, get crappy service and have my computer turn itself against me?? Well, sign me up! [/cynical sarcasm]

I think that the BBC needs to be give a chance to be crap. It may be that if you have a UK IP that you should be able to stream for free - hell, I've paid my licence fee but if you do not have a UK IP then some other means of paying for the artists rights has to be found. Success will depend, possibl, upon how slick the site is to find the stuff you wwant and how much the charge is to be - for non UK IPs. Now I may be completely wrong on this and we will all have to pay, and too much and it will be difficult to find the stuff you want but I hope not. As a point of information the latest settlement with the treasury has just been agreed, not sure that this is good for services given the switch over to digital in the UK and Rupert (I don't throw my weight about) Murdoch's interest in buying ITV.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6201935.stm

I thought you can already watch some BBC programs online if you are in the UK. But for foreigners this will be great.

Well, if you look at iTunes, you pay good money for a product that is not in any way as good as the product you download for free, does not give you the same options, and basically, it isn't the way to go.

If you want to sell something, you've gotta make it better than what you can pick up on the street.

I can pick up water from the sea. Why do I pay to get it in the spring? Because the water in the spring is BETTER.

(And, of course, it isn't full of salt)