BBC & Sky Will Split F1 Coverage 2012-2018

I wish BBC would stop worrying about quantity, and rather concentrate on quality.

Technically, that is exactly what they're doing - only covering half the races live will ensure those that are shown live still have the same coverage standards.

Money says the 10 races they don't cover live are all outside the eurozone.

Enjoy your Valencia coverage instead of Montreal :cry:

If it comes to it, I don't mind not having live for Bahrain, Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi, India, Malaysia... that's 6 already :D

They've already said both the Monaco and British GP's wil lbe covered.

That's what I'm saying. Neither of those are outside of Europe.

I bet the ones they don't televise will be America, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Brazil, Canada, Abu Dhabi, China and Australia. (And Bahrain too, if it ever comes back.)

Well this is pretty depressing. I actually started tuning into F1 because of the BBC and have since became totally engrossed in the sport; following it religiously since. Their extremely tight, beautiful, intimate and well though out coverage coupled with triple-A commentators are easily the highlights of their program. I also feel that it has probably spoiled me since Sky will invariably be worse. Sort of a dark day for me since I won't have anywhere to turn to for the other 10 races the BBC won't be covering. Literally halving my interest in the sport I've so deeply invested in for the past two years. Sad day indeed.

That's what I'm saying. Neither of those are outside of Europe.

I bet the ones they don't televise will be America, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Brazil, Canada, Abu Dhabi, China and Australia. (And Bahrain too, if it ever comes back.)

The first and the last race of the season will be covered by them, so Australia is to be included.

This is what I read in one of the many news articles about it anyway.

Well Sky has News Corp/Murdoch as a major shareholder - what is going on there then, are they owned by fit and proper people?

F1 is brilliantly covered at the moment, the ITV coverage was quite good before as well, but can you see Sky doing it justice? Well I can not, and once they have their hooks in I do not see them leaving.

The cost to the BBC of the F1 coverage must be mitigated somewhat as the coverage is sold to TV stations in English speaking countries around the world, and there are far better ways (Dump the World Service - Brits are paying for a Government properganda Unit FCS, and the insane Gaelic and Welsh Language services - let the Welsh/Scottish assemblies pay for them) of saving money IMHO.

This is the soft left in the BBC having their evil way - not Green you see, well it looks like that.

If the coverage is anything like Fox/Speed (News Corp), it will be awful coverage. Of course you guys don't have commercials interrupting the race every 5 seconds so it may not be that bad. The commercials is the main thing that pisses me off, I've missed so much awesome in F1 due to US commercials.

Last edited:
If the coverage is anything like Fox/Speed (News Corp), it will be awful coverage. Of course you guys don't have commercials interrupting the race every 5 seconds so it may not be that bad. The commercials is the main thing that pisses me off, I've missed so much awesome in F1 due to US commercials.

I don't mind the occasional minute or so commercial breaks every 30-40 mins, if the commentators are up to snuff. I got Steve Slater and Gary Anderson on ESPN, and I'm getting a little tired of them calling wrong drivers, speaking when team radio is on, and the odd minute or so of silence.

I don't mind the occasional minute or so commercial breaks every 30-40 mins, if the commentators are up to snuff. I got Steve Slater and Gary Anderson on ESPN, and I'm getting a little tired of them calling wrong drivers, speaking when team radio is on, and the odd minute or so of silence.

I can live with a quick commercial break every 30-40 min but on Speed its every 5-10 minutes. It's ridiculous. Half the time the commercials have nothing to do with cars.

From the Hammond Heaven people who got the ratings for a episode of Top Gear

Source

don't believe me? go and have a look at BARB's website with the ratings. you'll see Antiques Roadshow and CountryFile getting 5-6million views a week. Still think it should be cancelled? it would appear quite a few people would disagree with you.

or better yet, lets take a look at the week ending 29th May 2011

Thank you for providing some facts to end JHS endless dribble.

I can live with a quick commercial break every 30-40 min but on Speed its every 5-10 minutes. It's ridiculous. Half the time the commercials have nothing to do with cars.

And it's the same commercials every time. Tire rack, the commercial with the kids going outside and exercising, I think the Mobil 1 commercial, etc. At least give us some freakin variety if we have to suffer through it.

I'm jealous of the BBC's pre/post show coverage too. Obviously not feasible, physically and financially for Speed.

Also, Speed needs to grow a pair and go over with F1 post-race interviews. Cutting out 7 minutes of interviews to go into a 120 min Nascar analysis show is so ridiculous.

At least we have Qualifying (somewhat) live now. It used to be like a 10 min delay so they could do a quick pre-show intro about everything and I would get notifications on my phone and iPod about who was on pole before Speed showed Q3 :lol::mad:

You guys should get UK VPN's and enjoy the BBC coverage while it lasts for this year...

So just gonna leave this right here...
205910_10150728460820587_615690586_20082256_8202006_n.jpg

I was depressed when I read this news..
This was my first Formula 1 season, and I've loved every moment of it.
A lot of that has to do with the coverage.

I'm glad BBC will get Monaco and Silverstone.
Hope they get Montreal, Spa, and Suzuka, as well.

I cannot believe how the BBC has acted in effectively blocking the Channel 4 bid which would keep it on free to air TV.
I for one will not be watching it on BBC or Sky next year at all. Instead I will find some live stream on the internet, the last thing I would want is high vewing figures for the BBC and Sky right now.
Makes me wish it was back on ITV and thats saying something because their coverage was pretty poor compared to the one we have now.
Also any UK resident please sign this petition if you have done so already. Thanks.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

As much crap as it gets on this forum, the american cable channel "speed" coveres f1 very well. It has commercials but they are certainly not every 5 minutes as implied, and if you miss something good they always make sure to show it in a replay or at least let you know. And the commenters are debatibly as good or better than BBC's crew (BBC cant be beat on the pre-race show).

Give it a shot!

I cannot believe how the BBC has acted in effectively blocking the Channel 4 bid which would keep it on free to air TV.
I for one will not be watching it on BBC or Sky next year at all. Instead I will find some live stream on the internet, the last thing I would want is high vewing figures for the BBC and Sky right now.
Makes me wish it was back on ITV and thats saying something because their coverage was pretty poor compared to the one we have now.
Also any UK resident please sign this petition if you have done so already. Thanks.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

Wishing for ITV coverage? You're a lunatic.