BBC under pressure to sack Jeremy Clarkson over N-word claims

The Mirror did a good job in damaging the BBC. They got the BBC into a position where they have to either cancel their biggest cashcow or come across as tolerating racism. And if that's not bad enough, there's a bunch or rabid Top Gear fans on the internet mounting a letter-writing campaign.

So, if he really is on final warning, well I guess that's that, unless he changes his persona (and TopGear in the process) completely, he is bound to 'offend' some wanker at some point, and who really wants Jeremy not to be himself, or a changed TopGear.....

If I was the head of any commercial network in Britain, I would be scraping together every last penny and my first born right about now.....

http://patbrittenden.com/2014/05/04/why-jeremy-clarkson-is-going-no-where/

Some slovenian site (trash site) is reporting that his wife left him and that they are getting divorced...any substance to this?

For people of our country and generation the rhyme that he was saying was not a deliberate racial slur, least not by me. I was taught it when very young and did not realise what the N word really meant. Still now I would never ever say it, it is a spiteful and hurtful word to many and I would never use it. Now Jeremy may have been attempting to get moaned at by the offended by anything and everything brigade and not say the word, it was pretty indistinct even in the version (which was not broadcast) that people are gleefully jumping up and down about. Still, I grew up and he obviously has not in this regard. He has apologised profusely and I really do not think he actually has a racist bone in his body myself, no matter how ill advised he was to use that rhyme.

Now, interesting point - who leaked it to the press? Exactly who's interest is being served by making such a fuss? Also, is it not BBC copyrighted material and they should demand the return of the video and that all 'copies' are destroyed?

I watched the video of it over the weekend and I can tell you that he certainly DID NOT say the word in question. He just mumbled the whole line of the rhyme.
I'm 44 and live in Kentucky and I, and everyone I know, grew up saying "tiger." It wasn't until a few years ago that I heard the original word.

This is just someone gunning for Clarkson. BBC should confront this head on. Air the video in question and comment that he didn't say the word and there is nothing else to say about it.

Some slovenian site (trash site) is reporting that his wife left him and that they are getting divorced...any substance to this?
They've had their share of (reported, alleged) troubles and Jezza has had his share of (reported, alleged) affairs over the last few years or even decades. I think even the infamous Piers Morgan feud started with a report on an alleged affair of Jezza.

EDIT: According to the Torygraph, they've been living seperated for the last three years and now his wife is going ahead with a formal divorce, citing the usual unnamed sources.

s it not BBC copyrighted material and they should demand the return of the video and that all 'copies' are destroyed?
It is and they could. But it would come across as an ill-advised cover up and would only make matters worse.

Last edited:

Divorce mentioned in Czech media as well (not even "gutter press").

Last edited:
EDIT: According to the Torygraph, they've been living seperated for the last three years and now his wife is going ahead with a formal divorce, citing the usual unnamed sources.

Ah, I see. That was the bit that made it weird for me, I didn't know that they've actually separated prior to this incident. It seemed weird that she would just start a divorce out of the blue and because of an alleged use of a word (that he didn't even use).

The Mirror did a good job in damaging the BBC. They got the BBC into a position where they have to either cancel their biggest cashcow or come across as tolerating racism. And if that's not bad enough, there's a bunch or rabid Top Gear fans on the internet mounting a letter-writing campaign.

What is your position on this Grip?

I also don't understand what the status of his relationship with his wife has to do with anything.

Ah, I see. That was the bit that made it weird for me, I didn't know that they've actually separated prior to this incident. It seemed weird that she would just start a divorce out of the blue and because of an alleged use of a word (that he didn't even use).

There were pictures of her on a beach with what appeared to be a close friend a couple of weeks ago. It seems she likes her men tall.

- - - Updated - - -

I also don't understand what the status of his relationship with his wife has to do with anything.

It doesn't really, but the word thing started 3 days ago, then today the papers are saying divorce, so it probably seems to some the two are related.

I think Jezza fucked up. But as he did so on an outtake never intended for broadcast, there should be no further action. Furthermore, I think that eventhough the Mirror is not a Murdoch paper, the main target behind this campaign is not Jezza personally, but the BBC.

Nothing. Correlation does not imply causation.

IMO the report of the Clarksons getting divorced has nothing to do the the N word controversy and has all the hallmarks of the Daily Mail wanting to put the boot in while the man's down. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised (sad though) if it was true.

IMO the report of the Clarksons getting divorced has nothing to do the the N word controversy and has all the hallmarks of the Daily Mail wanting to put the boot in while the man's down. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised (sad though) if it was true.

I think they are just kicking him while he is down, but if you had seen the beach pictures from a couple of weeks ago, I am sure it is true.

I think Jezza fucked up. But as he did so on an outtake never intended for broadcast, there should be no further action. Furthermore, I think that eventhough the Mirror is not a Murdoch paper, the main target behind this campaign is not Jezza personally, but the BBC.

Thanks for the response. I don't think he fucked up because I really don't hear the word but I respect your opinion. As for the BBC, I think that they made a mistake and I told them so. Here's what I wrote them and a link if anybody else is interested in speaking their peace.

Complaint filed with the BBC:

Complaint category:
Factual error or inaccuracy
Contacted us before:
No
Complaint title:
BBC's treatment of Jeremy Clarkson
Complaint description:
The BBC has overreacted to the supposed outrage about a comment that did not even air. They have unjustly reprimanded Jeremy Clarkson about a leaked clip from the show Top Gear. The clip, which never aired, is said to contain an offensive word. I have listened and watched the leaked footage online and the word in question was simply not said by Clarkson. In addition, it is clear that those who leaked the tape as well as the paper that wrote the story about it, have ulterior motives for doing so. They are not interested in anything so noble as standing up for the oppressed or speaking out against discrimination or racism. Their goal is as evident and transparent as it can be. Simply "get Clarkson"; and pressure the BBC into taking some kind of action. What offends me is that the BBC is doing exactly what these people wanted. I live in a country where much of what we see on television is severely censored. I have a lot of respect for the U.K. specifically because they don't sterilize their content to the point of it becoming mind-numbing, politically driven blandness. I hope that in the future, you will speak out on behalf of real issues and not engage in pandering to a handful of malcontents who are simply out to shock for the sake of shocking with no regard for the truth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/

If Top Gear was on one of the commercial channels, I would be less worried, as I am sure that the advertising revenue it would bring in, would be a big influence in keeping it on the air. The trouble is, the BBC gets its money from the licence fee not advertising. There is also a sizeable number of left leaning PC folks in the Beeb who would dearly love to see TG defenestrated. The current focus is to get arts more in the mainstream, TG clearly doesn't fit in well with this focus.

Of course if TG does get booted from the BBC, another channel would love to snap it up, Netflix or Amazon would love to get a boost like that. Another option would be for BBC Worldwide to take over production as it has effective independance from BBC.

If Top Gear was on one of the commercial channels, I would be less worried, as I am sure that the advertising revenue it would bring in, would be a big influence in keeping it on the air. The trouble is, the BBC gets its money from the licence fee not advertising. There is also a sizeable number of left leaning PC folks in the Beeb who would dearly love to see TG defenestrated. The current focus is to get arts more in the mainstream, TG clearly doesn't fit in well with this focus.

Of course if TG does get booted from the BBC, another channel would love to snap it up, Netflix or Amazon would love to get a boost like that. Another option would be for BBC Worldwide to take over production as it has effective independance from BBC.
The BBC actually gets most of its income from either licensing shows to foreign broadcasters and from ad sales by for-profit subsidiary channels (such as BBC America) that it runs outside the UK. Getting rid of Top Gear would be financial suicide.

I saw that.

So basically they are saying noone should be able to watch a TV show because they do not like Jeremy. (or more like, are jealous of Jeremy)

The president of the USA has a lot of powers, but I don't think what we get to watch on TV is one of them.