Hammond: BBC2 Documentary: Richard & Evel Knievel

Just saw this and I was incredibly impressed by Richard Hammond's talent as a presenter. For a man who had been so heavily influenced around the mythos of the great Evel Knievel during the easily impressionable childhood years, and to finally grow up yearning to meet him, and to be willing to travel to the other side of the world to do so, it's even more painful when you realize that your hero isn't the swaggering badass from your youth but a shadow of his former self with a tube up his nose. You could tell Hammond was not only disappointed but slightly repulsed by Evel's attitude to him, and that he maintained his composure and didn't descend into mindless ass-kissing like anyone else or me would have is immense. Near the end, Evel's personality and Hammond's emotions were almost painful to watch.

After all, Hammond's just another fan like the thousands before him, albeit a more nosy and influential one with a camera crew. A sick man like Evel can't really be counted on to be all sunshine and daisies with such hard questions. I don't blame the great stuntman for being so annoyed at him; it's hard to answer such unbearable questions for 3 days straight when you can't even breathe on your own without the aid of a noisy machine. Nonetheless, it's difficult to relive your glory days when you're in such a contrast.

Even though it was to be located in the center of town in plain sight of everybody in true Knievel style, the gravestone was a poignant reflection of his impending mortality and what he said at the end, I think, really sums up his life. "Follow your dreams." He certainly did, and while his jumps may have been done for mindless cash I'm sure many kids who watched him on TV must have walked away following that sentiment. That's what showmen are there for.

They should have mentioned Robbie Knievel's jumping career too; I remember seeing his Grand Canyon jump in 1997 and it was as big of an impact on me as Hammond's witnessing of the Wembley jump.

I think Richard was the best choice for this simply because he was really interested in Knievel's life, maybe he was his hero indeed.
And this programme was full of emotion which made it enjoyable to watch.

Dont mock our lowlifes too much european folks, you've got some special social groups of your own you wouldnt want representing you on a foreign documentary :D

chav.JPG

Knievel Australia

Knievel Australia

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but SBS (Australia) is broadcasting the doco on Wednesday night at 7.30pm...

On Monday (today) we are finally getting Season 9 Ep 1: the post-crash comeback episode... that's what, only a year(!) after the original airing...

Jacobi

PS Sorry I haven't been on the boards, my computer suffered a horrible case of Blue Screen of Death...

Oh, please. The BBC wanted to film in Butte, Montana during Evel Knievel Days. What's the point of filming in an upscale Florida community when you can plonk Richard into the cheapest, oldest hotel in Butte?

You can't poke fun at rural Americans, American patriotism or daredevils in a condominium on the beach.

Do you think the BBC wasn't aware of Evel's medical condition? It had been in the news for months. They new he was dying before they left England. They did their research and knew what Knievel was like.

Nobody thinks Hammond's comments about the motorcycle jumper dying in front of kids was B.S.? I guess he believes only adults should watch F1, NASCAR, motocross, football, or any other sport or event where the participants could die. Children especially shouldn't watch Top Gear as they are liable to see a presenter skidding on his head at 250 MPH into brain damage and comma.

This "interview" of a dying man was as much of a set up as top Gear's American trip. I'm growing tired of Richard Hammond's thin nice-guy veneer.

Whatever Evel was, he managed to do things his way until the end.

1) Evel was an asshole prick. It's not a secret, it's nothing new, and crashing repeatedly doesn't make someone a hero. Sorry.

2) While the vast majority of Americans are fine people, I talk to Americans all day long for work, and I can say that the minority of idiots seem to be the most vocal. Living on the US border all my life also has done nothing but constantly expose me to the constant "You have electricity up here? You have the internet? You have cars? People can talk?" and I don't exaggerate. IT'S CONSTANT. So you being annoyed with the redneck hick stereotype? Cuts both ways with all Brits have bad teeth and are tea and crumpet straight laced Thatcher types or Canadians haven't advanced beyond primordial ooze. Please spare me the indignance.

3) It's coma. COMA.

Good on Hammond for showing and reminding the world that a great showman he may have been but Evel was a epic asshole. Kinda like Bing Crosby was a child abusing prick. Sad but true.

And thin nice guy veneer? That's funny. Hammond is pretty genuine, but let's face it, you go to the south of the US and you are in for a fun time. And I don't mean as 100% enjoyable.

The wait for the song in the beginning (also around the 2 min mark) is over, at least for those who are still interested :)). I know i was, every now and then, trying to find out the name of `that song with the mellow sounding guitar from the "Hammond meets Evel Knievel documentary"`.
Here it is: Transmission - Beyond Light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKH7Cxfoyg