Hammond: BBC2 Documentary: Richard & Evel Knievel

James May's Hair

Just found this in the media news in Blighty: Richard is to make a documentary for BBC2 for which he will travel to the U.S. to meet who is described as his 'hero', Evel Knievel. In the press guff is says they will talk about what makes them take the risks - presumably that means crashing too. Evel also suffered a brain injury after one of his own 'upside down very quickly moments'.

Richard will be at the Evel Knievel Days Festival on the 27th July - one for you Americans if you are near there. Just don't chase him out of the state; we don't want you sinking to the level of Alabama :)

This isn't likely to be broadcast before autumn.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bet it's gonna be another classic top gear case of never meet your childhood heroes (only it's actual human heroes this time)

Just found this in the media news in Blighty: Richard is to make a documentary for BBC2 for which he will travel to the U.S. to meet who is described as his 'hero', Evel Knievel. In the press guff is says they will talk about what makes them take the risks - presumably that means crashing too. Evel also suffered a brain injury after one of his own 'upside down very quickly moments'.

Richard will be at the Evel Knievel Days Festival on the 27th July - one for you Americans if you are near there. Just don't chase him out of the state; we don't want you sinking to the level of Alabama :)

This isn't likely to be broadcast before autumn.

the problem with them in alabama was they ran. you gotta look people like that in the eye and tell em how the cow ate the cabbage.

LOL! I live in more civilized area of Alabama and I was quite stunned when i saw that episode.. Only place I would go would be, Birmingham and Huntsville, Alabama.

This sounds like it will be a pretty cool documentary. It should be more interesting than the borefests that are American documentaries, especially ones about people. I can't wait to see it.

i bet it's gonna be another classic top gear case of never meet your childhood heroes (only it's actual human heroes this time)

Totally, I saw a biography on Evel once. He came off as such a piece of trash. Like he said he'd done his last stunt, then he ran out of money and decided he had to go do more stunts. Seemed like he saw it as just a good way for some quick cash and to be famous. I don't see him as much of a hero really.<_<

He's pretty much an asshole, and his son is too. It'll be a trainwreck I'm sure. I can't wait for hammond's reaction.

Well I hope the show is a fitting tribute. Evel Kneivel was a big part of my childhood mostly watching my brother trying to copy his stunts on his pushbike!

He was a showman who entertained and was brave (foolhardy?). The world was a better place for him being in it - if anyone says that of me when I go I will be bloody amazed. Well actually I wont be because I won't be here but you know what I mean.