BBQ and smoker thread

jasonof2000

Car(s)
2013 Lincoln MKT, 2002 Miata SE, 2012 Honda NC700
I decided to try smoking a turkey for the first time today.
A few months back I got a new smoker, still electric (too lazy to bother with charcoal and manually fussing with everything) but much nicer than my old, uninsulated El-Cheapo Brinkman.

I've used this smoker about a half dozen times and I really like it, especially since I can add more wood chips without opening the door.

The turkey was brined in a mix of water, maple syrup and bourbon for two days. Before smoking it I patted it down with a mix of salt and pepper. The bird ended up needing 6 hours to cook and it was AMAZING, it pulled apart very easily, it was juicy and tasted delicious.

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Two days of brining sounds like a very long time to me. How much water:salt do you use?

jasonof2000

Car(s)
2013 Lincoln MKT, 2002 Miata SE, 2012 Honda NC700
No salt for the brine. The recipe called for 2 cups of maple syrup, a cup of bourbon and a tablespoon of pickling spice and enough water to cover the bird in a pot. That's it. The recipe also said to let the bird soak for 2 days. I can take a picture of the recipe page if you like.

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Isn't the point of brining that the salt in it makes the liquid penetrate the flesh so that you have a smaller loss of liquid when cooking?

jack_christie

Forum Addict